Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

10 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Why are Cushelle advertising their shit tickets on the telly?

I’ve seen their advert three times today.  They are chucking their money away.

They don’t need to advertise.  If they can get some in the shops, it will be bought.  The shelves are empty.

I’m about three days away from having to use woodland creatures, so maybe THAT’S what the advert is telling me...

0180FD1E-A810-4872-BB7E-450FA2676949.jpeg

Don't knock it until you try it.

Been using them since before the big roll ran out etc

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Firmly believe this will blow over by April. Although it’s gonna be a long few weeks having to panic buy because bother idiots have started to panic buy. Don’t care for myself but having a child with underlying health issues means we have to get things or risk serious issues for him. It’s bloody nuts. 

What are you basing that on? I can only seeing it being much worse in April.

Can anyone help me ?  Spain, France, Italy will all be effectively locking down their populations this week and at least another one to follow. We are told that the virus will not peak until late April and into may, possibly June. So what are they going to do in two weeks time?  Presumably, even if they manage to slow the rate of infection, the relaxation of restrictions will simply allow it to exponentially grow again??

but if they ask anyone who has symptoms to stay in isolation or ask that unless you have isolated for two weeks then you can’t mix socially outside of your family unit, then presumably they can halt the virus completely??  (As they have in china). But thereafter, unless they keep their borders shut, how do they stop it being brought in and starting all over again ??.

china are making all people coming into the country to isolate for two weeks - that won’t happen in Europe. 

hence I assume the approach we have taken which is that we aren’t China so we can’t just put the genie back in the bottle ??.

7 minutes ago, String fellow said:

BBC News: Hundreds of scientists call on UK government to toughen virus response. I can't help feeling that BoJo is doing a Nero, who fiddled while Rome burned.

First rule of business - " Look around the table - If you can't see the loser in the deal then it's you" Kind of the way it us with the UK and the rest of the world's response. 

18 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can anyone help me ?  Spain, France, Italy will all be effectively locking down their populations this week and at least another one to follow. We are told that the virus will not peak until late April and into may, possibly June. So what are they going to do in two weeks time?  Presumably, even if they manage to slow the rate of infection, the relaxation of restrictions will simply allow it to exponentially grow again??

but if they ask anyone who has symptoms to stay in isolation or ask that unless you have isolated for two weeks then you can’t mix socially outside of your family unit, then presumably they can halt the virus completely??  (As they have in china). But thereafter, unless they keep their borders shut, how do they stop it being brought in and starting all over again ??.

china are making all people coming into the country to isolate for two weeks - that won’t happen in Europe. 

hence I assume the approach we have taken which is that we aren’t China so we can’t just put the genie back in the bottle ??.

Think some countries in Europe have done that. Malta for one?

Cyprus are making UK arrivals self-isolate for 14 days. 

Edited by StanSP

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Think some countries in Europe have done that. Malta for one?

Cyprus are making UK arrivals self-isolate for 14 days. 

They’re doing that cos they don’t have many cases at all and I presume they feel that the med spring/ summer may assist thereafter 

Surely most of Europe simply can’t impose no inter country/region travel for months on end without the whole ‘system’ collapsing 

24 minutes ago, String fellow said:

BBC News: Hundreds of scientists call on UK government to toughen virus response. I can't help feeling that BoJo is doing a Nero, who fiddled while Rome burned.

15 minutes ago, Collymore said:

First rule of business - " Look around the table - If you can't see the loser in the deal then it's you" Kind of the way it us with the UK and the rest of the world's response. 

As an alternative strategy are we proposing a continual ‘lockdown’ as cases ebb and flow for the next four/ six months ???   I understand the govt idea though I don’t have any confidence in it working - the alternative could be shutting down the country for six months ??? and that may not provide an6 better result.

if we could truly get global agreement and everyone doing the same thing to try and isolate this thing totally then I guess we could stop it. 

37 minutes ago, String fellow said:

These cvnts saying people won't get bored, I'm 2 days without football and I'm reduced to watching some random pool game on the bbc that looks like it's being played down the local conny club.

**** those cvnts.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Seasonal flu killed circa 2,000 people in the UK last year, most of whom were elderly and/or had underlying health issues. That fact is nothing new. Do we get all panicky and stockpile bog rolls every November-March? No we don't. This is a strain of flu that nobody has immunity to so far and, unfortunately some will die that otherwise may have not. It's a fact of life at the moment. The vast majority of those that get infected will have minor to moderate symptoms akin to seasonal flu and lasting between 4-7 days before a rapid recovery. In severe cases some will develop pneumonia, in particular those with pre-existing respiratory illnesses and that may prove fatal if they are already severely weakened and that's sad but it's going to happen. Yes, there are reports from around the world that previously fit, young people have developed pneumonia and are on ICU's on ventilators but they are expected to recover quickly within days.

The whole panic thing baffles me. I'm no medical expert, but it seems to me as a layman that the world's reaction to this thing has fuelled mass anxiety. I agree that steps need to be taken but surely things like banning international flights is closing the door after the horse has bolted. Every country is infected. They won't get any less infected by keeping foreigners out. Containment was never going to be achievable and now we are in the "slow it down" phase. Some will get it, some won't, some will die, the vast majority won't.

I also don't get the mad buying of pasta?

I take it from that post you are age about 12

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Seasonal flu killed circa 2,000 people in the UK last year, most of whom were elderly and/or had underlying health issues. That fact is nothing new. Do we get all panicky and stockpile bog rolls every November-March? No we don't. This is a strain of flu that nobody has immunity to so far and, unfortunately some will die that otherwise may have not. It's a fact of life at the moment. The vast majority of those that get infected will have minor to moderate symptoms akin to seasonal flu and lasting between 4-7 days before a rapid recovery. In severe cases some will develop pneumonia, in particular those with pre-existing respiratory illnesses and that may prove fatal if they are already severely weakened and that's sad but it's going to happen. Yes, there are reports from around the world that previously fit, young people have developed pneumonia and are on ICU's on ventilators but they are expected to recover quickly within days.

The whole panic thing baffles me. I'm no medical expert, but it seems to me as a layman that the world's reaction to this thing has fuelled mass anxiety. I agree that steps need to be taken but surely things like banning international flights is closing the door after the horse has bolted. Every country is infected. They won't get any less infected by keeping foreigners out. Containment was never going to be achievable and now we are in the "slow it down" phase. Some will get it, some won't, some will die, the vast majority won't.

I also don't get the mad buying of pasta?

No it isn't 

• Like 3

Several older folk I've spoken to about the current strategy say that they are deeply concerned by the UK's herd immunity idea, as are the World Health Organisation..There's no proof that this is effective, and such an approach could lead to far more deaths than if draconian steps are taken right now to minimise transmission through person-to-person contact. If the government pursues this policy and it proves to be wrong, then the people responsible should be held to account in the law courts. As regards disruption to people's lives and boredom setting in, I'd rather be disrupted and bored than than go through the grim experience of catching it and possibly dying.

I work at the LRI and heard today heard that there's a juvenile patient being tested for potentially having the virus, along with a family member.

Edited by Wymsey

Just now, Wymsey said:

I work at the LRI and heard today heard that there's a juvenile patient being tested for potentially having the virus.

My 4 year old son has the symptoms, but not sure whether there's anything to be done other than treat it like a normal fever that they pick up a few times a year. A little concerning but from what I gather, self isolating is the correct route and they'd only admit to hospital of really severe.

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino
44 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Again, the UK government is being honest with people if people actually bothered to listen what was being said, none of what's in there is really anything that hasn't been reported. Meanwhile, most other countries are announcing measures and trying to pretend that it will only last a few weeks but that's unlikely. Yet somehow its the UK's strategy that's getting pelters.

Maybe its a comms failure on behalf of the government but its definitely a media failure

7 hours ago, ithuriel said:

47/48/54/54A/74/88/88A/25/26

Could have caught it on any of them since there have been a few peeps coughing on them when I've caught  the bus early in the morning, that is, if I do have it, could just be another bug going around at present.

Then again, this week there were far fewer peeps on the buses in the mornings.

Oh crap

5 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Partner went Tesco today. Complete ****ing panic fest no flour, no rice, no toilet paper, no hand gel or pasta.

Someone is making themselves a cracking dinner with that lot.

• Haha 3