Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

41 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Why are there so many holiday adverts on tv at the moment, they know we can't go anywhere, whats the point.

I'm sure all the funeral plan and life insurance ads that haunt daytime telly will be loving this 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Seasonal flu killed circa 2,000 people in the UK last year, most of whom were elderly and/or had underlying health issues. That fact is nothing new. Do we get all panicky and stockpile bog rolls every November-March? No we don't. This is a strain of flu that nobody has immunity to so far and, unfortunately some will die that otherwise may have not. It's a fact of life at the moment. The vast majority of those that get infected will have minor to moderate symptoms akin to seasonal flu and lasting between 4-7 days before a rapid recovery. In severe cases some will develop pneumonia, in particular those with pre-existing respiratory illnesses and that may prove fatal if they are already severely weakened and that's sad but it's going to happen. Yes, there are reports from around the world that previously fit, young people have developed pneumonia and are on ICU's on ventilators but they are expected to recover quickly within days.

The whole panic thing baffles me. I'm no medical expert, but it seems to me as a layman that the world's reaction to this thing has fuelled mass anxiety. I agree that steps need to be taken but surely things like banning international flights is closing the door after the horse has bolted. Every country is infected. They won't get any less infected by keeping foreigners out. Containment was never going to be achievable and now we are in the "slow it down" phase. Some will get it, some won't, some will die, the vast majority won't.

I also don't get the mad buying of pasta?

Buddy, ain't nothing getting imported from Italy for a while.

1xczq7.jpg

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

These cvnts saying people won't get bored, I'm 2 days without football and I'm reduced to watching some random pool game on the bbc that looks like it's being played down the local conny club.

**** those cvnts.

Glad it's not just me watching. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Social media has been slaughtering the govt for not taking the virus seriously and now this is leaked about four month lockdown for the most  vulnerable, they’re being slaughtered for going overboard. I’m afraid that it seems people can’t be trusted with anything !

I think it’s a great idea.Not sure the over 70s will be so keen though.I can see the logic.

28 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This occurred to me a few days ago ....... I doubt those buying the stuff have realised that though .......

Canned tomatoes and passata were also amongst one of the first things to go, but I guess they might actually be imported from Italy, at least in part. lol

Biggest concern for us at the moment is child care.We have 2 boys,Mrs works for the NHS and i work full time....and we have no one to look after them if the school closes.....guess i might have to go on nights,which i hate!:whistle:

Just now, lgfualol said:

One bloke at my nearest aldi had a trolley full of eggs, flatbread packets and still water bottles. 

The water bottle thing confuses me. Do these people think the water system is/will be contaminated? Quite far-fetched to think so. 

My mate said he went to the shops and there was a guy at the till with a big trolley full of water bottles. This is on the basis that they're being taken back home. For all we know could be for an event or charity or organisation... 

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Again, the UK government is being honest with people if people actually bothered to listen what was being said, none of what's in there is really anything that hasn't been reported. Meanwhile, most other countries are announcing measures and trying to pretend that it will only last a few weeks but that's unlikely. Yet somehow its the UK's strategy that's getting pelters.

Maybe its a comms failure on behalf of the government but its definitely a media failure

At least the other countries are announcing measures. My issue (along with a few hundred other scientists) is that the strategy of herd immunity we're pursuing almost inevitably means more deaths than necessary. 

These really are strange times - went to take the dog out for a walk and I saw about one person. 
As I’ve said earlier on in the thread, I’m in my final year off doing a-levels and the college are already preparing an “online portal” where all our work could go on there if we are to go into lockdown.

These times are unprecedented, im not worried about being dying, however, I’m worried about what it might mean in the next few years.

50 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The water bottle thing confuses me. Do these people think the water system is/will be contaminated? Quite far-fetched to think so. 

My mate said he went to the shops and there was a guy at the till with a big trolley full of water bottles. This is on the basis that they're being taken back home. For all we know could be for an event or charity or organisation... 

Personally I’m working on the assumption that the utilities will remain operational during this crisis. This includes water, electricity, internet and I’d expect gas. If these fail then there really would be pandemonium so I think authorities will ensure that these take priority, if need be by using armed forces, etc. I’m in Australia, but I’d expect authorities the world over to respond in similar ways.

On this assumption, I can’t see the need to store bottled water. When we were in Singapore in the sixties, the assumption was that the water was polluted. The answer was to boil any water for consumption and put it in the fridge.

Having said that, there is still the issue of bathing water, but this would still be the case if using bottled water anyway (unless people are planning to bathe in it :unsure:).

Edit: I have no idea if this virus can survive in water. Almost certainly would be killed surely by normal water treatment processes.

Good article on this subject here: https://www.wateronline.com/doc/coronavirus-and-the-water-cycle-here-is-what-treatment-professionals-need-to-know-0001

Also, reverse osmosis filters are apparently very effective in removing viruses and bacteria if you happen to have one.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

4 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

These really are strange times - went to take the dog out for a walk and I saw about one person. 
As I’ve said earlier on in the thread, I’m in my final year off doing a-levels and the college are already preparing an “online portal” where all  our work could go on there if we are to go into lockdown.

These times are unprecedented, im not worried about being dying, however, I’m worried about what it might mean in the next few years.

Hope you're not taking English language :P (gonna look like a right **** if you reply saying you have dyslexia..)

3 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

It’s late at night okay :ph34r:

I do history, geography and politics though lol

Any plans post a-levels? 

I'm back in Manhattan NYC and it's like a ghost town. it's Saturday night and the it's eerily quiet.

There has been the same panic buying and stripping of shelves here too but the bars and restaurants that are usually heaving are empty.

Never known anything like this. It's weird.

Guest Kopfkino
13 minutes ago, Fktf said:

At least the other countries are announcing measures. My issue (along with a few hundred other scientists) is that the strategy of herd immunity we're pursuing almost inevitably means more deaths than necessary. 

They've given plenty of forward guidance for anyone that's paid attention. The media has been utterly hopeless because of Political correspondents looking for political drama. For example, banning large gatherings was spoken about on Thursday and it was said that they'd decide shortly, then it comes out last night and is described as a u turn when it just wasn't. Again tonight we see complete media failure with The BBC  reporting the letter claiming to be from scientists as "More than 200 scientists have written to the government urging them to introduce tougher measures to tackle the spread of Covid-19." But they're almost all mathematicians and over half of them are PhD students so have very little authority on virology and epidemiology. The Guardian has chosen to make them relevant and the BBC has run with it x10. The first reference on the letter is a Medium link ffs. 

Its partly a comms problem because the government hasn't been fully transparent and the comms has been muddled at times (they really should take control and go to daily press conferences) but most of its been out there. The fact that a twitter thread from someone in the group advising the government did a better job of explaining that herd immunity isn't the strategy that the goverment is pursuing probably demonstrates that

1 minute ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Yes mate. HOPEFULLY university at either Newcastle / Northumbria to go and study politics and international relations.

Great to hear. And a fantastic part of the country to study. I've lived in the North East as an undergrad and post doc. Newcastle will keep you occupied whatever you're into. 

Best of luck with the exams. 

1 minute ago, Fktf said:

Great to hear. And a fantastic part of the country to study. I've lived in the North East as an undergrad and post doc. Newcastle will keep you occupied whatever you're into. 

Best of luck with the exams. 

Thank you mate, really appreciate it. Good to hear that you had a good time there too.