Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

This question was covered the other day by a virologist. 

If you have symptoms, you self isolate. Regardless if it's the first time or iyn multiple  occasions. 

It's desirable for us to know personally if we've had it it not,but not a necessity.

If you self isolate say two to three times you aren't at work and that is going to impact not only your cash flow but the business you work for too.

Peeps are going to be pressured or will just ignore such advice eventually because they need to pay the bills, keep their jobs.

I'm ringing in tomorrow but I know that the management will be annoyed and will pressure me to go back and  I can guarantee they will demand a doctors sick note.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

If you self isolate say two to three times you aren't at work and that is going to impact not only your cash flow but the business you work for too.

Peeps are going to be pressured or will just ignore such advice eventually because they need to pay the bills, keep their jobs.

I'm ringing in tomorrow but I know that the management will be annoyed and will pressure me to go back and  I can guarantee they will demand a doctors sick note.

They can't make you provide a doctor's note for an absence of fewer than 7 days 

2 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

That's because most punters won't listen to the exact advice. 

I reckon I normally get a fever, say, once a year max. And a  persistent dry cough maybe once a year. (Fwiw I've got one now, but it's not new. I've had it for the last three weeks. The advice is clear to self isolate for a NEW persistent cough)

But your average Joe will be self isolating for any old ailment - prior persistent coughs, runny noses, upset tummy etc ...I'd bet the mortgage on it.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Why is the UK government left scrambling around begging manufacturers to switch production to hospital ventilators? Matt Hancock says there are 5,000 in the UK at present but that several times that will be needed. They’ve known about SARS, they’ve known about MERS, it was only a matter of time before something nastier came along, surely there should be contingency plans?

I’m sure many other countries will be in the same situation (perhaps including Australia for all I know), but it doesn’t excuse the incompetence.

I take it before this happened, if the government stated they want to increase taxes to pay for this as a contingency plan, you have happily paid more TAX? 

• Like 1

I find it crazy that we’re not even testing people until they walk through the door of the local hospital. No wonder the figures for the uk are so low. Surely, if they can provide for everyone in the country to vote in one day, they can provide for everyone to be checked. Why not just set up testing stations where we go to vote and use the army etc to take swab tests, have them tested and collect some data to find out which areas have high results and consequently where to isolate off so they can concentrate the resource in those areas. As it stands at the moment, if you’ve got a sniffle, stay indoors because you might have the corona virus, but you might not and we won’t know even when you go back out into the world.

16 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

They can't make you provide a doctor's note for an absence of fewer than 7 days 

My firm is a bit of a shit show at present, under new management, down sizing the shop floor whilst over crowding the offices, they bully those that have time off and demand stuff they should not and if you want to get bolshy about it, they will find an excuse to fire.

I would not mind redundancy to be honest but how do you explain to prospective employers getting fired for having time off etc.,

I'm ringing in anyway because my current dept manager knows me well enough, will have to see what they say in regards having a week off just on the assumption I might have the virus.

Edited by ithuriel

I suspect that most employers would welcome folk ringing in sick, if they are showing any symptoms. Employers will be as scared of this thing as anyone else. I've been in panic mode since last Thursday, and have only ventured out of the house reluctantly. The anxiety is acute and even my sex drive has gone.    

2 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

My firm is a bit of a shit show at present, under new management, down sizing the shop floor whilst over crowding the offices, they bully those that have time off and demand stuff they should not and if you want to get bolshy about it, they will find an excuse to fire.

I would not mind redundancy to be honest but how do you explain to prospective employers getting fired for having time off etc.,

Easy, tell them the last place you worked employed bullying tactics which stressed everyone out to the extent that people lost their tempers and I’m looking to join your company as I’ve heard the working environment is tuned to get the best out of your employees because of respectful working practices.  They’ll feel that good about their company and give you a job.

Love the discussion shifts on here.

In one day, we've gone from WTF why are we not isolating EVERYONE?! to omg why are we not testing EVERYONE to see who doesn't need to self-isolate.

And we wonder why the government are struggling to make timely decisions. Maybe it's because public perceptions are shifting daily. lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Sky Sports ‘no’ News keeping us updated on every player in the world catching Coronavirus as they get it and updating us with a full list of what sports are not happening.

lol

I wonder what they are going to talk about on TalkSPORT?

TalkNOSPORT.

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Playing devils advocate where do you stop? Stock up on 20,000+ ventilators at a cos of x in the hope you will need them in the future or spend your budget on something that is required on regular daily use?

The balance in this case it seems was to have 5000 in reserve, had we been hit with a different issue I'm sure some would say why we got 5000 ventilators sitting on the shelves when we need x,y,z it's a constant juggle I guess.

The fact it's highlighted and being addressed is good thou no, also remember that there is a shelf life on medical equipment ok not on these with regards to 'going off' but software and advancements in technology.

I actually wasn’t suggesting stockpiling ventilators, though I’m sure the NHS should have had more anyway (apparently Germany has 4 times as many). I was suggesting that the government should have a prearranged contract with potential manufacturers so that production of whatever was deemed necessary could be stepped up when needed. The situation looks like a typical British “we’ll muddle through when we have to”.

49 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I find it crazy that we’re not even testing people until they walk through the door of the local hospital. No wonder the figures for the uk are so low. Surely, if they can provide for everyone in the country to vote in one day, they can provide for everyone to be checked. Why not just set up testing stations where we go to vote and use the army etc to take swab tests, have them tested and collect some data to find out which areas have high results and consequently where to isolate off so they can concentrate the resource in those areas. As it stands at the moment, if you’ve got a sniffle, stay indoors because you might have the corona virus, but you might not and we won’t know even when you go back out into the world.

But you can also say like all good knocking shops your only as clean as your last test, should we test daily?

• Like 1

My 95 year old mother lives with me & she is not well & virtually immobile. She has a carer twice a day, otherwise it is me looking after her as she can really do nothing.

Staying in the house is not a problem for her as she is unable to get out, however I am puzzled as to what would happen in the following scenarios:-

1) She gets Corona virus - does that mean the carer will not be able to call & what would I have to do.

2) I get Corona (I am 68 & have asthma & high blood pressure), my mum would be incapable of helping me so what would I do & would she have to move out.

I think Andrew Marr was trying to ask that question this morning but didn't really get an answer

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

My 95 year old mother lives with me & she is not well & virtually immobile. She has a carer twice a day, otherwise it is me looking after her as she can really do nothing.

Staying in the house is not a problem for her as she is unable to get out, however I am puzzled as to what would happen in the following scenarios:-

1) She gets Corona virus - does that mean the carer will not be able to call & what would I have to do.

2) I get Corona (I am 68 & have asthma & high blood pressure), my mum would be incapable of helping me so what would I do & would she have to move out.

I think Andrew Marr was trying to ask that question this morning but didn't really get an answer

These are good questions and ones the government has failed to address. My wife is a care worker and in reply to question 1 I can only answer for her company but the carers will continue to call though they will only deal with clients in masks and gloves and any protective equipment they can muster together. However, if the carer goes down with the virus they will not be able to visit obviously. You should probably be contact your care provider to check what their policy is as all may differ.

As to point 2 I've no idea.

However, as you are 68 and have underlying health conditions it seems quite likely that you will be in the group of people that the governement are going to ask to go into quarantine for 4 months though this is far from clear at the moment.

Your mother's care worker would probably be able to help with food shopping as part of the provision of care for your mother but again each company would be different so check.

Edited by reynard

11 minutes ago, notnow john said:

I have to go to Wales early tomorrow so I've just been to Sainsburys to fill up with diesel and 

they've run out!!

Bog paper,food,now fuel,rationing is the only way to control the hoarding morons.

Have been expecting everyone to rush out and buy fuel.Don’t think it should be so much of a problem as not so many people out and about.Hopefully should be able to catch up again if stations run temporarily low.

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Curious if anyone on here has been panic shopping, and if so, what drove them to do so?

No need mate, area where I live has two small chain stores and neither have run out of anything yet.

Popped in yesterday bought some loo roll and necessities. No one here seems to be panic buying. Bought the papers the morning in the local store and all shelves full!