Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Curious if anyone on here has been panic shopping, and if so, what drove them to do so?

Yup, mainly because I don't drive and don't have any shops within reasonable walking distance, and have been getting online grocery deliveries for many years. I have limited fridge and freezer space which holds about 10 days of food maximum. Online grocery slots in most places are now booked up many weeks in advance, so I've had to stock up on some tins / long life stuff which I don't usually eat.

I've also panic bought a bit of the disinfectant stuff, mainly to wipe down shared surfaces at work (hospital) as the suppliers to the NHS have run out of most stuff, like the disinfectant wipes which are made in China (Clinell) and all forms of hand sanitiser, and the current stock in the cupboards is disappearing fast. :unsure:

..And I may have bought 36 loo rolls a few weeks ago, but that's what I usually do anyway when my stocks run low as I'm always terrified of running out, even without a virus creating havoc. 

Edited by brucey

4 minutes ago, nnfox said:

As an individual, you still have freedom of choice.  If you don't want to go to a mass gathering, don't.

The government in this country has a plan and is sticking to the plan. Banning mass gatherings will happen and probably sooner rather than later.

Just because someone else, even the majority of people are doing things differently, doesn't mean they are right and we are wrong.

People are prematurely criticising the plan with basically zero data.

We'll find out in 6-12 months, maybe more, which strategy was best.

That's just it, they've already said if you clamp down too hard too early, you're just going to see a big spike later down the line when things open up again. It's important they try to keep it at a point where this isn't overburdening the healthcare system but also not limiting too much movement

6 minutes ago, nnfox said:

As an individual, you still have freedom of choice.  If you don't want to go to a mass gathering, don't.

The government in this country has a plan and is sticking to the plan. Banning mass gatherings will happen and probably sooner rather than later.

Just because someone else, even the majority of people are doing things differently, doesn't mean they are right and we are wrong.

People are prematurely criticising the plan with basically zero data.

We'll find out in 6-12 months, maybe more, which strategy was best.

I came to the game on Monday (against my wife’s wishes on several levels). I figured it might be the last home game of the season so that led my decision.  I had the choice whether to go  - I think that as individuals, we need to take more responsibility for our actions and not rely on govt/society to take that on ............

anyway, mass gatherings will soon be chopped so it will be out of our hands .......... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Italy a well developed country with a great h/c system is struggling.Just imagine how the under developed countries are going to cope.

That’s the main concern of WHO but one hopes that the warmer temps that pervade these countries will hinder the spread there .

• Like 1

The problem is that the plan itself isn't based on proven data. Waiting 6-12 months to find out if our strategy has worked won't be a luxury enjoyed by the deceased victims of the experiment. If the rest of the world, including countries who have already experienced the worst of it, are doing one thing and we're doing another, based on the advice of a few government scientists, then it's hardly surprising that the WHO and many other scientists in this country are worried. France went down the softly-softly route for a while, but this weekend has suddenly changed track. Maybe that should also give us here food for thought.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

France went down the softly-softly route for a while, but this weekend has suddenly changed track. Maybe that should also give us here food for thought.  

the gouvernement still let the elections happen this week-end though....

Went to Aldi in Coalville this morning first thing, it was absolutely rammed, far more than Christmas. Have to say though that people were being calm and patient, taking the piss out of ourselves whilst collectively feeling a little embarrassed to be in this situation. Shelves were well stocked as well so big hats off to the staff who’ve clearly worked hard over night. NHS staff rightly getting the praise but retail staff deserve plaudits too. 

• Like 3

Curious if anyone on here has been panic shopping, and if so, what drove them to do so?

No, but a couple of weeks ago I did buy a bit of extra food for the stock cupboard and the freezer. At the time I had no idea how things would pan out here, but I was looking at what was happening in Italy and thinking about what my (older) children could reasonably make for themselves if I didn't feel well enough. 

I was also wondering what would happen to the supply chain if loads of people were ill and off work, or if countries we rely on for some items were unable to produce it for us. 

Certainly not panic buying huge volumes of anything, just a bit of common sense once we watched it unfolding in China, then Italy.

• Like 1

Please don’t think I am having a go, was genuinely curious.
We recently bought a little extra (1 extra pack of wholewheat pasta for example and felt like hoarders) Not sure if we are not hoarding because we are pi$$ poor organised mind 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That’s the main concern of WHO but one hopes that the warmer temps that pervade these countries will hinder the spread there .

surely its the warmer country's that have been hit the most so far, Russia has reported hardly any deaths considering the population for example

24 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Please don’t think I am having a go, was genuinely curious.
We recently bought a little extra (1 extra pack of wholewheat pasta for example and felt like hoarders) Not sure if we are not hoarding because we are pi$$ poor organised mind 

Haha yes that's us too, we're usually so disorganised and rarely have enough in for 2 meals at a time! 

Anyone else choosing to see the good in humanity at this point?

I.e. We're willing to sacrifice:

- The performance of the global economy

- All manner of businesses from local cafes to multinational airlines

- Pretty much every fun social activity - meals out, sports, festivals, theatre etc.

- Visiting family and friends

- Wages/income for those not salaried

All to protect a small (comparatively that is) percentage of ill and very old people from becoming seriously ill and dying.

I think that shows that we're all a bit nicer than we give ourselves credit for :)

• Like 2

Maybe someone should tell Wayne, that his no more at risk then Joe public and we still have to go to work...............

Former England footballer Wayne Rooney says the government and football authorities have treated footballers as "guinea pigs" during the coronavirus outbreak.

Elite football in Britain has been suspended until at least 3 April, with the Premier League saying "conditions at the time" will determine its return.

"For players, staff and their families, it has been a worrying week - one in which you felt a lack of leadership from the government and from the FA and Premier League," the former England captain wrote in his column in the Times newspaper.

"The rest of sport - tennis, Formula 1, rugby, golf, football in other countries - was closing down and we were being told to carry on.

28 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Haha yes that's us too, we're usually so disorganised and rarely have enough in for 2 meals at a time! 

We tend to have enough for a week and freeze any left overs, our freezer was full of crap over Christmas so I made a choice that anything we hadn't used over the new year was going in the bin in jan, that looks a shite idea now, and I guess if things get really bad I'll be living of soup for the foreseeable future as that's the one tinned item I always have loads of.

But seriously it's a bit bonkers, I really don't think we could last more than a week without a shop, due to the kids.

• Like 1

This is one of the better threads I've seen on Twitter. From someone who used to work in the military with all the scientists who will be dealing with this and advising the government.

If you click on it it should take you to the twitter post and then click on the show thread bit. There's 15 seperate tweets. Or click on the link below. It takes you to a webpage that displays it all in one place.

https://threader.app/thread/1239218989793980416

Edited by Guesty
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

- Pretty much every fun social activity - meals out, sports, festivals, theatre etc.

All to protect a small (comparatively that is) percentage of ill and very old people from becoming seriously ill and dying.

I think that shows that we're all a bit nicer than we give ourselves credit for :)

But they can’t wipe their arses can they.

30 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

For now.

This sounds incredibly cynical but I have a feeling some people imploring us to "think of the health first" and how corona is the chance for a new beginning will be gouging each other's eyes out in the pasta aisle of Waitrose in 5 weeks. 

• Like 2

Just a theory why not keep all the elders and vulnerable at home self isolating and finding a system to help them whilst everyone else carries on their daily life and keeping everything as normal per se. Work, events etc.

And those that become poorly go home self isolate recover and get back on with it. 

Keeping the economy going at the same time as allowing for herd immunity?

47 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

It annoys me to be honest, without getting too political it proves that the capitalism tap can be turned off if needed and isn't a necessity.

20 minutes ago, Guesty said:

This is one of the better threads I've seen on Twitter. From someone who used to work in the military with all the scientists who will be dealing with this and advising the government.

If you click on it it should take you to the twitter post and then click on the show thread bit. There's 15 seperate tweets. Or click on the link below. It takes you to a webpage that displays it all in one place.

https://threader.app/thread/1239218989793980416

Thanks for sharing, it's very easy to get emotionally caught up in wanting the government to shut down literally everything straight away, however these people have been preparing for this for their whole careers. Trust them, we are world leaders in this field and let's be honest one of the only countries who seem to have an actual plan.

• Like 1