Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

35 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Most of the deaths at the moment were patients infected before lockdown ....

you would expect the death rate to start  to drop by next weekend .....

Surely the rate of new infections will need to drop before any related drop in the number of deaths?

The infections are rampant in society so hard to know how long it will take. Probably the same length of time as China.

Sadly looks like we're headed exactly the same way.

1 minute ago, reynard said:

Surely the rate of new infections will need to drop before any related drop in the number of deaths?

The infections are rampant in society so hard to know how long it will take. Probably the same length of time as China.

Sadly looks like we're headed exactly the same way.

One would assume that most positive tests in Italy are on patients being admitted to hospitals 

again, the current additional cases are going to be people who caught the virus pre lockdown. 

I get your point that it may well take a further two/three weeks before we see the case numbers and death rate begin to reduce rather than one week. 

13 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I've been at work today, responding to emergencies so haven't had the chance to read or respond to this. 

Yes, Covid-19 will result in a higher mortality rate as it will cause additional deaths on top of seasonal flu. That's the expectation of medics and the government. People will die, unfortunately but it's (so far) nowhere near the death rate from seasonal flu and no-one gets panicky about that.

By the way, I'm 63 I'm definitely NOT your son. I dislike being patronised.

I do get your point but have you seen that Italian list of daily cases/deaths from the past 24 days? 

Guest Kopfkino
13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That’s fair enough ...... we were told that we would cope very well o/side of the Union .... I assume we can get them from the ROW? 

Still includes the UK whilst in transition

Government communications seems to be occurring via off record chats to journos. Disgraceful. 

It's looking more and more likely that the inevitable inquiries won't be kind to our current 'leadership'.

They may or may not be making the right decisions (or being forced into the right decisions) but they are doing anything but looking like they have a grip.

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 1

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

In theory, 

Legally.

Have to say I'm surprised at a few things but I'm not an expert on this and we probably won't know who dealt with it the best until long after it.

Cheltenham festival did seem very weird though given some other parts of Europe were on lockdown.

The future of the EU is a whole other discussion and probably not for this thread but the last week and the next few months could play a big part in what it looks like when this is over.

Countries are closing the doors and looking after themselves. Italy seems to be left to fend for itself

33 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

Government communications seems to be occurring via off record chats to journos. Disgraceful. 

It's looking more and more likely that the inevitable inquiries won't be kind to our current 'leadership'.

They may or may not be making the right decisions (or being forced into the right decisions) but they are doing anything but looking like they have a grip.

lol

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

The future of the EU is a whole other discussion and probably not for this thread but the last week and the next few months could play a big part in what it looks like when this is over.

Countries are closing the doors and looking after themselves. Italy seems to be left to fend for itself

Germany has today sent Italy a million masks as an example of joint working across Europe.

40 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

Regardless of how the government deal with this, there is ultimately only a negative outcome. Hence, regardless of which decisions they make, they will be scrutinised. 

1 minute ago, Father Ted said:

Regardless of how the government deal with this, there is ultimately only a negative outcome. Hence, regardless of which decisions they make, they will be scrutinised. 

And so they should be. Just like any other government would have been and will be.

Leadership is what we need at present, and I'm sorry to say that BoJo, who fancies himself as Winston Churchill MkII, doesn't appear to be showing much at present. Folk abroad seeing pictures of the Cheltenham Festival going ahead, as well as today's Bath Half-Marathon, must be little surprised, to put it mildly. 

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

lol

They haven't yet done anything. Their idea is to have 80% of the population infected 

Coronavirus: health experts fear epidemic will ‘let rip’ through UK

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-health-experts-fear-epidemic-will-let-rip-through-uk?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

The rest of the world are not impressed. The WHO spokesperson has criticised us for talking up herd immunity:

Questioning the approach, Dr Harris told BBC Radio 4’s Today: “We don’t know enough about the science of this virus, it hasn’t been in our population for long enough for us to know what it does in immunological terms.

“Every virus functions differently in your body and stimulates a different immunological profile.

“We can talk theories, but at the moment we are really facing a situation where we have got to look at action.”

1 minute ago, Toddybad said:

They haven't yet done anything. Their idea is to have 80% of the population infected 

Coronavirus: health experts fear epidemic will ‘let rip’ through UK

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-health-experts-fear-epidemic-will-let-rip-through-uk?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

The rest of the world are not impressed. The WHO spokesperson has criticised us for talking up herd immunity:

Questioning the approach, Dr Harris told BBC Radio 4’s Today: “We don’t know enough about the science of this virus, it hasn’t been in our population for long enough for us to know what it does in immunological terms.

“Every virus functions differently in your body and stimulates a different immunological profile.

“We can talk theories, but at the moment we are really facing a situation where we have got to look at action.”

I’m just laughing at the bit in brackets. “Being forced into the right decisions”, you can bet your bottom dollar if it’s wrong the forced part will vanish.