Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, Markyblue said:

171 new cases thats down on the previous 24 hour total.... how can that be.

Haven't we reduced testing mainly to people who are hospitalised now? So our numbers don't mean all that much.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

Depends when they were tested and how many people were tested that day. They take 3-4 days for results to come back? 

Either that or there's severe under-reporting of cases.  

1 hour ago, joachim1965 said:

We're ok, our government want as many to be infected as possible to build up an immunity that they don't even know exists.

Great plan.

Do you have some reason to think this Virus is different to all other viruses?

5 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Previously the website also said no new deaths.. They’ve removed that now and haven’t put the daily figures on their Twitter, with only a “we’ll update you later” message. Hardly inspires confidence

Regardless, in the last few days, there’s been a shift in the demographics of people being tested. They stopped testing people with travel history/known contacts (higher % of being positive) and started testing people in hospital with any breathing difficulties/generic pneumonia (lower % of being positive).

Edited by brucey

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

just like solicitors or accountants, a room of scientists will rarely agree on anything, especially if the answer is unknown ! 

9 minutes ago, bmt said:

I find that impossibly naïve to believe. Experts always disagree with other experts, and to me that is why everyone has the right to an opinion on this (although yes not all are equal).

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Do you have some reason to think this Virus is different to all other viruses?

The experts disagree because none of them really know anything about this virus. We don't know whether we can develop immunity to it like measles, or whether it is going to be like seasonal flu where we have to repeat vaccinate each year. In the lack of this knowledge, what the experts should be doing is taking the most cautious approach.

For what it is worth, immunity to other forms of human coronavirus only lasts a year or two - after which you become susceptible to the disease again. We don't know whether that will be the case for this specific strain, but it does mean it is likely to be more like a seasonal flu than a measles.

1 minute ago, Fktf said:

The experts disagree because none of them really know anything about this virus. We don't know whether we can develop immunity to it like measles, or whether it is going to be like seasonal flu where we have to repeat vaccinate each year. In the lack of this knowledge, what the experts should be doing is taking the most cautious approach.

For what it is worth, immunity to other forms of human coronavirus only lasts a year or two - after which you become susceptible to the disease again. We don't know whether that will be the case for this specific strain, but it does mean it is likely to be more like a seasonal flu than a measles.

Absolutely. I don't know enough about other flu's etc but if that second part is true we should be in global lockdown until all cases are resolved.

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Imagine being arrogant enough to think your own assumptions hold more weight than the calculations of expert government advisors. lol

So the rest of the world are going about it the wrong way then. 

Thanks for that, feel much better now. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bmt said:

I find that impossibly naïve to believe. Experts always disagree with other experts, and to me that is why everyone has the right to an opinion on this (although yes not all are equal).

Exactly, we're all experts on all things football on FT & where i think Chilwell is ok other experts disagree

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

The problem with all this "It's great to see that capitalism can be stopped. It's time to prioritise people over business etc etc", is that saying that assumes that the impact to business does not impact people.

More people will be negatively impacted by the panic caused by all of this than there will be deaths caused by the virus.

Business stops, jobs are lost. Jobs are lost, people's livelihoods are taken. Houses are lost, and ironically, health issues are associated.

Surely the way to limit the impact is to tell older folk they will have to isolate themselves. While that's obviously terrible for them, and for families who would have to go months without seeing loved ones, surely it's the way to limit the number of lives that unravel.

One way of a life unraveling is for a family member to die. Another way is to lose work and houses.

Just seems like such an extreme consequence from a virus which realistically can only harm the elderly. Deal with the problem at source and find ways to stop the elderly from getting it, then. 

I agree in part but there's been other governments etc who've immediately dealt with the self-employed money gap and mortgages. We appear reluctant to even answer the questions surrounding it. The suggested sick pay is frankly not enough for anyone whose claiming for a family. 

Equally if the government were more happy to test, we could have a scenario where reasoned decisions could be made about going work and keep everything ticking over. At the moment, someone who works at a supermarket could develop a cough but be told they now need to self-isolate for 7 days. So we have an eligible worker there who can't work and that could begin to happen with infrastructure workers too. 

Just to add some good news, they found that anti-viral drug previously used for malaria works well in battling symptoms but apparently the UK decided to ban it in late February. Similarly, the original red zone areas of Italy are reporting progress in reducing numbers. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

I agree in part but there's been other governments etc who've immediately dealt with the self-employed money gap and mortgages. We appear reluctant to even answer the questions surrounding it. The suggested sick pay is frankly not enough for anyone whose claiming for a family. 

Equally if the government were more happy to test, we could have a scenario where reasoned decisions could be made about going work and keep everything ticking over. At the moment, someone who works at a supermarket could develop a cough but be told they now need to self-isolate for 7 days. So we have an eligible worker there who can't work and that could begin to happen with infrastructure workers too. 

Another point is all of those things will happen to the economy anyway. Only need to look at the markets to see what is going to happen.

By not testing properly we are now making decisions blindly, too.

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

From what I've read from other countries it doesn't seem as though they are consulting experts. All it needs is a couple of countries to react to demand and then the rest to follow suit.

If not following experts then, they are consulting the real live scenarios of Wuhan and Korea in how to halt this and where results are beginning to turn thanks to their tactics. 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If not following experts then, they are consulting the real live scenarios of Wuhan and Korea in how to halt this and where results are beginning to turn thanks to their tactics. 

You do realise Wuhan have not stopped the virus, they will have a second wave once they 'quarantined' get release. Also they have shut the city off for months, we just can't do that over here.

12 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

You do realise Wuhan have not stopped the virus, they will have a second wave once they 'quarantined' get release. Also they have shut the city off for months, we just can't do that over here.

Exactly.

Don't take 'beginning to turn' as success.

I'm the first to criticise our government, especially a conservative one, but in this instance they seem to have the long term in mind and hats off to them. Short term thinking is my biggest pet peeve so it's nice to have a government that, it seems, can at least see the bigger picture.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Exactly.

I'm the first to criticise our government, especially a conservative one, but in this instance they seem to have the long term in mind and hats off to them. Short term thinking is my biggest pet peeve so it's nice to have a government that, it seems, can at least see the bigger picture.

This is what I've been trying to explain to people. Then you have idiots like Piers Morgan scoremongering going "WHY AREN'T WE JUST SHUTTING EVERYTHING"

WHO giving their press conference right now. Christ, they want the moon on a stick.  Totally unworkable wishlist.

Key points:

Test everyone displaying symptoms, including mild cases.

If the test is positive, test everyone they have had contact with in the previous 48hrs whether they display symptoms or not.

All confirmed cases should be the put into isolation in a health facility, even mild cases.  If there isn't enough space, then prioritise the elderly.

All patients should not come out of isolation until a full TWO WEEKS after symptoms stop showing.

4 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Exactly.

I completely disagree with this. It would have been better to ACTUALLY do some things to limit the speed of the spread, even if you wanted to achieve immunity for the majority of the population. The doing nothing approach will bring our NHS to its knees in a matter of a week or two. The long term picture can not completely negate the short term one. We could have sensibly restricted the spread rate but doing things like Cheltenham, having Atletico fans over, etc etc etc are so so stupid it is unreal.

Also if you completely locked the world down you could wait until all cases were resolved and actually kill the virus. Maybe difficult but theres going to be a global crash anyway so at least then you could control it.

2 minutes ago, bmt said:

I completely disagree with this. It would have been better to ACTUALLY do some things to limit the speed of the spread, even if you wanted to achieve immunity for the majority of the population. The doing nothing approach will bring our NHS to its knees in a matter of a week or two. The long term picture can not completely negate the short term one. We could have sensibly restricted the spread rate but doing things like Cheltenham, having Atletico fans over, etc etc etc are so so stupid it is unreal.

You're right. 

But your speaking in the past tense tells you everything you need to know. It's too late. 

The opportunity to contain ended ages ago.