Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lesta2014

The end game

Looking from the outside in obviously here but it strikes me as a kind of Ajax model on a grander scale in terms of finance, in the main adopt a clever recruitment strategy where you sign young, hungry, largely unknown quantities for relatively low sums and sell them on for 2 or 3 times what you paid. That sort of clever recruitment strategy could financially keep you on the tails of the top 6 clubs who organically generate a lot more money than Leicester traditionally via larger stadiums, greater global exposure and regular income from European competition.

The upshot of that strategy working would be to disrupt the traditional top 6 and turn it into a top 7, similar from when it evolved from a top 4 to a top 6. Given the above model there will always be seasons and periods of transition where you have to rebuild to some degree but if the model works bad seasons will be a 7th placed finish and the good ones a 4th placed (or higher) finish with Champions league football.

The ambition must be competing in European football on a regular basis, season in, season out. Absolutely no reason why Leicester can’t be a Sevilla type club on a European level.

• Like 1

In terms of performance, the endgame was and is to win the league, to play in Europe regularly, to win trophies, but we have to also accept that we are also destined to fight relegation, be demoted, rise up again, etc, etc. Hopefully not for many years, but football is forever.

That said, I would guess that the real endgame for the owners is to turn Leicester City into a global sporting brand with supporters across the world, which can compete in terms of visibility and marketability with Man U, Liverpool, etc. If you can achieve this, then the spending power of the club increases, but so does LCFC/King Power's global reach and influence, in all sorts of ways - and we are on our way.

I can’t believe how some fans are reacting just because we lost semi-final against Villa, yes it was a really crap way to lose stonewall penalty Villa fouling every second Mike Dean well the less we talk about that dreadful ref the better.

But I just can’t believe somebody ringing up talkSPORT ranting how crap we are want to sack Brendan and saying he doesn’t want to support Lester anymore absolutely bloody ridiculous we don’t need supporters like you and Brian were third in the Premier League were in Champions League places where in good financial state we’ve got amazing thing to come So Brian roll your neck in and get a life.!!💙🦊

OAUIBWT

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-transfer-rumours-news-live-3754175

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-reveal-how-beat-3791327

Edited by justfoxes

Just now, justfoxes said:

I can’t believe how some fans are reacting just because we lost semi-final against Villa, yes it was a really crap way to lose stonewall penalty Villa fouling every second Mike Dean well the less we talk about that crap rest the better But I just can’t believe somebody ringing up talkSPORT ranting how crap with her and saying he doesn’t want to support Lester anymore absolutely bloody ridiculous we don’t need supporters like you and Brian were third in the Premier League were in Champions League places where in good financial state we’ve got amazing thing to come So Brian get a life.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-reveal-how-beat-3791327

Not sure if he was trolling or what but if he is a genuine Leicester supporter then we won’t miss him. We gained a lot of so called supporters when we won the league and he sounds like one of them. No one of sound mind who supported us pre-Prem win would feel like that let alone say it out loud on national radio. BYE BRIAN!

Guest Col city fan
15 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

There's no such thing as the end game in football. If there was one then we'd have had ours four years ago. Simply to keep improving and use this position to attempt to compete for trophies. We're on good tracks but we're not there yet.

This.... all day long

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, you joke, but if any professional club is aspiring, long term, for anything less than being serial champions of Europe and the world, then why bother? 

I don't care if you're Liverpool or Tranmere, surely you're constantly looking to make your next improvement, then your next improvement, then your next... and so on. 

So, end goal? Obviously that. 

In the meantime, Rodgers is going to have short term goals which I assume are basically keep qualifying for Europe. I doubt that means top 4 every year, yet. 

I'm not joking

14 hours ago, Tuna said:

"The End Game".

What a load of turd.

I thought the OP started a fresh and significant topic, with discussion much more interesting than the “load of turd” recycled in some other threads.

5 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Looking from the outside in obviously here but it strikes me as a kind of Ajax model on a grander scale in terms of finance, in the main adopt a clever recruitment strategy where you sign young, hungry, largely unknown quantities for relatively low sums and sell them on for 2 or 3 times what you paid. That sort of clever recruitment strategy could financially keep you on the tails of the top 6 clubs who organically generate a lot more money than Leicester traditionally via larger stadiums, greater global exposure and regular income from European competition.

The upshot of that strategy working would be to disrupt the traditional top 6 and turn it into a top 7, similar from when it evolved from a top 4 to a top 6. Given the above model there will always be seasons and periods of transition where you have to rebuild to some degree but if the model works bad seasons will be a 7th placed finish and the good ones a 4th placed (or higher) finish with Champions league football.

The ambition must be competing in European football on a regular basis, season in, season out. Absolutely no reason why Leicester can’t be a Sevilla type club on a European level.

Forcing our way into a "Big Seven" is my secret dream for the club.  But -- even with LCFC arguably the best run club in the Prem (with Wolves, Man City and Liverpool) -- it’s a long shot.  A Saudi state-funded Newcastle -- or Chinese-funded Wolves in cahoots with a super-agent -- represent much shorter and easier paths to that goal.

You could argue that an Arsenal or MUFC could drop out from that level.  But at some point even the Glazers will wake up, and a competently run MUFC will be a huge, scary beast.  Tough to find room at the top.

The “it’s a journey, not a destination” arguments are probably the wisest ones.  Or else to aspire to a Dortmund-like “destination”.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Katy said:

Not sure if he was trolling or what but if he is a genuine Leicester supporter then we won’t miss him. We gained a lot of so called supporters when we won the league and he sounds like one of them. No one of sound mind who supported us pre-Prem win would feel like that let alone say it out loud on national radio. BYE BRIAN!

Ha ha what a bell end. Any team that has success will gather a certain amount of plastics, and even some genuine new fans. After all we were everyone's second favourite team in 2016. never mind pre-prem win, anyone who had to watch the utter garbage that was the likes of a certain mr J Lewis, The Holloway years and many other similar periods seriously should not be moaning about ANYTHING we do at the moment (although it wont stop some who are not happy unless they have something to whinge about). OK so collectively and individually there have been a few below par performances recently (compared to recent form) and disappointing results but FFS the reaction to losing a match that we were actually the far better side in is absolutely ourageous. Yes it hurts like hell that we missed our chance of final, but overall I am still pinching myself over just how good we are, and where we may be in the coming years.  On balance I am still as happy as a pig in Sh*t.