Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Ian Wright - Desert island discs

48 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

If you've got 45 minutes spare, this is a phenomenal listen. Had me in sad tears and that doesn't happen often. If you need a blub it's a good excuse. 

Haha - just listening to it now as I dropped in to FT.

He is a top bloke.

• Like 1

I thought the part where he talks about his old school teacher was amazing. His teacher was an old pilot in the RAF in the war and he [Wright] talks about how the even though his teacher took part in a flypast of Buckingham Palace he says he is more proud of Ian's achievements than any of his own.

Lovely stuff, and some good song choices too - as @SecretPro says, well worth a listen if you have a spare 45 minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

I thought that it was patronising of the BBC to make a big deal over Wrighty choosing something by Mozart - as if you can't be both an ex-footballer and also like music by the great classical composer.

Agree - especially as he said he wasn’t originally aware it was by Mozart. 

He chose it from the Shawshank Redemption, and what the piece of music represents within that context, as well as in its own right. 

Let’s face it, most of us get our classical music education from adverts or tv programmes!! 

7 hours ago, String fellow said:

I thought that it was patronising of the BBC to make a big deal over Wrighty choosing something by Mozart - as if you can't be both an ex-footballer and also like music by the great classical composer.

maybe; although Wright himself states in the interview that "no one would expect me to pick this" (or words to that effect)

On 16/02/2020 at 22:07, The Syrup said:

The video from 2010 when he's reunited with his teacher is a tear jerker too.

Had me in floods - when he saw him and took his hat off.

Absolutely love Wrighty.

On 16/02/2020 at 20:02, SecretPro said:

If you've got 45 minutes spare, this is a phenomenal listen. Had me in sad tears and that doesn't happen often. If you need a blub it's a good excuse. 

Rarely listen to D. I. D. but downloaded this through the Sounds app and listened in the car.

It's excellent.

Fair play to Lauren Laverne, she asked the questions simply, that's how you often get the best responses

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Rarely listen to D. I. D. but downloaded this through the Sounds app and listened in the car.

It's excellent.

Fair play to Lauren Laverne, she asked the questions simply, that's how you often get the best responses

Thought the way Lauren handled the whole interview was superb - I've not really paid that much attention to DID over the last few years but looks like LL has filled the position with ease.