Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Plan B

What about "We are unable to stop teams nullifying our attacking threat down the middle of the park" or "We are unable to find another way to create when teams successfully nullifies our central attacking threat"?

To be fair, in 15/16 I don't think we had a plan B. But no one could defeat our plan A.

• Like 2

its quite simple really, when a manager keeps persisting with the same strategy and players, whilst it isnt working he is considered to not have a plan B.

Do I put Rodgers in that category? he certainly has tried in a few games to have play us more direct, and even 2 up front vs man city.  So for me personally not quite but close, I feel he does need to shake things up, put some players in who have had little pitch time this season, and try a system that others havent seen us play yet.

Edited by Chrysalis

Unfortunately the EPL’s VAR plan has not be kind to us over the past 4/5 games.   You can have numerous plans in place but one thing you cannot plan for is, people like Coote officiating a game.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Plan B is a term used by those who don’t quite get what the manager is trying to do. So they counter this by suggesting they do know what he is doing..... and then unhelpfully suggest that a “plan B” be implemented. What that “Plan B” is, is frankly a mystery.....

• Like 2

What happens when plan B doesn't work do we need a plan C,D & E?  Once the game is in full flow it is difficult to change the game until half time, then you have to hope the opposition doesn't second guess you!  Most teams have a plan B if they are losing 1-0 with around 20 mins  left on the clock, it is just about the players having confidence to do this, and at the moment we look like we have none! The question needs to be how does Rodgers get the confidence back in the team, if/when he does that Plan A & B will work!

Ok so I'm guilty of using this phrase. But I didn't mean it necessarily in the context in which you suggest. 

I feel like we are missing players in the box. Especially against physical teams, such as Norwich and VILLA. My "plan B" would be to have an Ulloa type player to come on and win those physical battles to hold the ball up and link in our attacking players such as Maddison and Tielemans. Said player would also give us players in the box who are more likely to win the header. I feel that when were chasing games, we don't have that something different to break down a tight defence. We need to fix that. 

I have to say that I don't agree.

In my opinion there are times during a season where a manager has got it selection or tactically wrong from the first whistle, the game doesn't pan out the way you anticipated or you have some bad luck and get punished. 

In addition it might be that the set up and style have been negated by the opposition tactics or one or two players are having a stinker of a game, and when some of this is the case and a game is going to end in getting nothing from it what is the harm in having something different on the bench?

Nothing ventured nothing gained?

Maybe it won't end up working out but at least you've challenged the opposition and given them something else to think about, something outside of the realms of the preparation that they have done, and yes at times something simpler and a bit more 'industrial.'

Plenty of managers have done it with great success down the years for example look at Alex Ferguson's record with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer from the bench. If my memory serves me right it won them the European cup.

And yes I absolutely agree that the lack of urgency and insistence in fidgeting the ball around the back four when we are losing with only a few minutes left is absolutely infuriating and I'm baffled as to why Rodgers is not up on his feet and screaming at them to get it forward. 

A plan B or at least just a deviation of Plan A would have one or more of the attacking players moving ( preferably running) into space, with or without the ball, behind the opposition.

Im happy with whatever it’s called as long as it’s tried occasionally.

The plan B ought to be Iheanacho joining Vardy in attack and someone like Barnes or Perez in behind and we go 3-4-1-2, by being a bit more direct in getting the ball through the channels. Rodgers made a number of in game changes in and around December when we started to struggle and found ways of us winning but the notion that when we stop winning games that there isn't a plan B is slightly incorrect. One thing is for sure, Rodgers won't sign a 6ft 4 striker just to bring on and lamp it up pitch like many clubs do, I personally think it has it's uses but the successful clubs that don't resort to that and still find ways of winning show that isn't the only way.

We don't have enough strength or variation in our bench, we need a bit more pace and creativity to bring on. Gray has the attributes of the type of player you'd want to bring on when needing something but in reality his goals and assists show he is abysmal at making an impact on games. We have very little aggression throughout this squad, the one thing I want to see us change this summer is having more dynamic and ruthless players to compliment what we already have.

• Like 1

I'm sure Man City don't have a Plan B but what they do have is massive depth of quality if the starting team isn't doing it then he has so many options, see yesterday brings on De Bruyne and Benardo Silva.

We need to give him time to build the team depth and that wont be easy because players will be enticed away and we'll be continually outbid for recruits. It'll take time, recruitment savvy and luck to unearth some more gems like Vardy and Mahrez.

Can we do it F-Knows

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Why is it that every single frikking one of our managers, since at least as long as this forum has existed, after a bad run of games the reason frequently given is, "he hasn't got a plan B"?

I'm sick to death of this myth. Not the myth that managers don't have a plan B, but rather, that plan B even exists. At least, not in the miraculous fashion that some supporters seem to think is going to happen.

Every manager has a preferred style of playing and every team will be training to play that way. To train in many different styles would only weaken the preferred style, similar to being a Jack-of-all-trades and master of none. You can't play tiki-taka in the first half and then get all 11 behind the ball resolutely defending in the second; least ways, not if you want your team to be effective at either style.

Managers DO mix things up though, but much more subtly. They'll still want their team to play the same style, but maybe down the left flank, or the centre, or just sit off or press a little more. It seems that to some supporters this isn't enough.

Perhaps we should have a return to the days when, if things weren't going well, we used to hooooooof it and hope. I guess that would make some people happy. It would be, a plan B, different to how we've played most of the time in the past 6-7 seasons.

Forget plan B. There's a reason that it's a plan B. It's like those crap, end of series, comedy panel show episodes where they show the "hilarious" unseen bits of the series, or rather, the bits that weren't good enough or particularly funny. Plan B isn't great. It smacks of desperation.

"Yes, but, we haven't got a plan B!"

And that's just fine.

This. 100%.

Man city and Liverpool don't change how they play when they're losing. Nor do Barcelona or Madrid. Or Bayern. Or any other serious team.

Just because Newcastle can throw on Andy Carroll doesn't make that a recipe for success.

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

By plan B most people think bring ups some big f ucker and launch it into the box like it's a really well though out contingency plan 

Exactly. If launching it to a big target man was improving our goal expectation then we would do that tactic for 90 mins.

Do Barcelona or Man City have a Plan B or do they just play their football?

Our lack of options on the bench is shite to be fair. 

As Perez, Iheanacho and Barnes were all starting, we had pretty much nothing to bring on and change the game. Obviously we should have started with those three, but our depth isn't great.

Surely nobody gets excited at Gray or Albrighton coming on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Our lack of options on the bench is shite to be fair. 

As Perez, Iheanacho and Barnes were all starting, we had pretty much nothing to bring on and change the game. Obviously we should have started with those three, but our depth isn't great.

Surely nobody gets excited at Gray or Albrighton coming on.

Yeah, this is pretty much it for me as well. Our depth is weak, really weak. So if we're struggling in a game we've got nobody decent to turn to that can get us a goal. Really need to improve our attacking options in the summer.