Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

UEFA Nations League 20-21

Groups in full:

League A
Group one Group two Group three Group four
Netherlands England Portugal Switzerland
Italy Belgium France Spain
Bosnia and Herzegovina Denmark Sweden Ukraine
Poland Iceland Croatia Germany
League B
Romania Israel Hungary Bulgaria
Northern Ireland Slovakia Turkey Republic of Ireland
Norway Scotland Serbia Finland
Austria Czech Republic Russia Wales
League C
Azerbaijan Armenia Moldova Kazakhstan
Luxembourg Estonia Slovenia Lithuania
Cyprus North Macedonia Kosovo Belarus
Montenegro Georgia Greece Albania
League D
Group one Group two
Malta San Marino
Andorra Liechtenstein
Latvia Gibraltar
Faroe Islands
  • Like 1

Uefa has increased the size of the top three tiers to 16 countries - meaning each group will have four teams - and decreased the size of the bottom tier to seven.

The teams who win each group in the top division - as England did last time - will go into the finals tournament in June 2021. The teams who finish bottom will be relegated to League B.

Unlike the previous campaign, when everybody was qualifying for the Euro 2020 play-offs, only two World Cup play-off spots are on offer to the 55 countries.

The best two Nations League group winners who do not qualify for the World Cup or play-offs through normal qualifying, will go into the 12-team World Cup play-offs in March 2022.

When are the games?

Matchday 1: 3-5 September 2020

Matchday 2: 6-8 September 2020

Matchday 3: 8-10 October 2020

Matchday 4: 11-13 October 2020

Matchday 5: 12-14 November 2020

Matchday 6: 15-17 November 2020

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nalis said:

What on earth was the whole relegation / promotion thing all about if they just bin it off anyway?

11 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Thought Germany got 'relegated' from League A the last time this was played, yet are still in the same group?

They basically stocked up the A league to 4 teams (previously 3) and made the D league tiny. A good decision but they should have probably done that from the beginning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

How's Giggs doing with Wales mate? Are his teams as dull as he is? 

It's been a bit hard to say really because he's so very rarely had anything close to what you'd call our strongest team available. I guess there's a sort of poetic justice in that given his attendance record for Wales. The side he's got out tonight is about par for his tenure, basically a complete load of garbage and a lot of youngsters blooded.

Like or loathe Cookie, they all wanted to turn up and play for him, there was a spirit he adopted from Gary Speed's outfit that lingered. 

Giggs has had a couple of games that stand out where we've played how you imagine he wants us to and it's been some of the best football we've played in years. He pictures his teams playing not too dissimilar to Rodgers when it's going well for Leicester, I think. But as with Rodgers' Leicester, when it's NOT going well it's dogshit boring "possession for the sakes of it."

What I'd probably consider our "best" starting lineup on paper would probably look something like:

Bale

James, Wilson, Brooks,

Ramsey, Ampadu (or Allen)

Davies, Mepham, Rodon*, Roberts,

Hennessey 

(*or Chester, Williams or Lockyer, all about much of a muchness.)

But I don't think I've ever seen that team play, ever, probably not even about 80% of it has played together more than once. Came close to it when we beat Ireland 4 - 1 in probably Giggs best result and that's two years ago now which is insane really when you think about how settled most sides are.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's been a bit hard to say really because he's so very rarely had anything close to what you'd call our strongest team available. I guess there's a sort of poetic justice in that given his attendance record for Wales. The side he's got out tonight is about par for his tenure, basically a complete load of garbage and a lot of youngsters blooded.

Like or loathe Cookie, they all wanted to turn up and play for him, there was a spirit he adopted from Gary Speed's outfit that lingered. 

Giggs has had a couple of games that stand out where we've played how you imagine he wants us to and it's been some of the best football we've played in years. He pictures his teams playing not too dissimilar to Rodgers when it's going well for Leicester, I think. But as with Rodgers' Leicester, when it's NOT going well it's dogshit boring "possession for the sakes of it."

What I'd probably consider our "best" starting lineup on paper would probably look something like:

Bale

James, Wilson, Brooks,

Hennessey 

But I don't think I've ever seen that team play, ever, probably not even about 80% of it has played together more than once. Came close to it when we beat Ireland 4 - 1 in probably Giggs best result and that's two years ago now which is insane really when you think about how settled most sides are.

Can't believe Giggs has been there that long. Feels like he's managed about 4 games to me lol 

20 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Bale

James, Wilson, Brooks,

Hennessey 

Thats a Kevin Keegan team on paper if I've ever seen one, would be entertaining at least if all were available.