Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

'Our aim' – Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers reveals summer transfer plan

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I can see why some people are a bit worried given Congerton's reputation at Celtic and Sunderland I'm more intrigued personally. This is the first time he'll actually have the resources to get the right type of player, with a club who already have an excellent recruitment track record and the team and means to bring in quality.

At least I ****ing hope.

Priorities this summer should be:

Starting CB

Squad CB

Starting RW

Squad GK

This might be the first summer we don't make a massive sale. Which for me would be an even bigger statement than demanding £85m for Maguire up front and then not spending it. 

Massive summer coming up. I am so ****ing excited.

Your observation may well be true regarding money made available to spend however, the previous scouting team at Celtic that had to make way for Congerton had managed very well with what was made available to them i.e. see Van Dyke, Wanyama and a number of others. If you repeatedly make mistakes buying cheap, could that not merely be seen as a precursor for making mistakes buying expensively? Rodgers record is hardly stunning in this area either. Time will tell.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I can see why some people are a bit worried given Congerton's reputation at Celtic and Sunderland I'm more intrigued personally. This is the first time he'll actually have the resources to get the right type of player, with a club who already have an excellent recruitment track record and the team and means to bring in quality.

At least I ****ing hope.

Starting CB

Squad CB

Starting RW

Squad GK

This might be the first summer we don't make a massive sale. Which for me would be an even bigger statement than demanding £85m for Maguire up front and then not spending it. 

New goalie

New left back, assuming Chilwell goes.

New centre back, assuming benkovic isn;t as good as hoped.

New central midfielder 

Three wide players, Gray to leave and Albrighton/Perez not good enough for CL football.

New striker

Five of the above need to be better than squad players.

Good to hear they are looking to freshen up. We all agree some deadwood needs moving on and 1-2 perhaps holding on to their positions at times via lack of alternative. 

If we can move a few out and replace with hopefully better quality with maybe a marquee signing or even 2 to me that sounds pretty encouraging.  European football demands that at least.

1 hour ago, SydenhamFox said:

Not sure the current squad need to be hearing this with 9 games to go. Might make a few heads drop. 

I thought just the opposite. They're not little kids are they? Think this club has big problems if they can't handle the truth of the real world.

Just now, BrokenRecord said:

You would say that, you've been rimming Rodgers for years and strangely following every club he goes to lol

Can't complain. He does give maximum entertainment.

Glad that rodgers wants new players. To stay where we are in the league and continue to progress as a club, we need to keep investing in the squad, even though it is already blessed with some brilliant players.

We need a starting CB to rotate with cags and Evan's (maybe demiral), LB if chilly does go (hope he stays), and a starting winger to improve the first 11. Also could do with a squad winger (maybe fraser) squad attacking mid and squad cb and that will do us nicely for a big season. 

1 hour ago, Vestan Pance said:

As well as looking to move on Gray, we could do with shifting these loaned players out permanently. Silva and Slimani, Ghezzal, Diabete etc. Mendy and King also have contracts coming to an end. With that lot I'm not surprised we didn't/couldn't buy in Jan.

My exact thoughts, time to get rid of a load of dross and get some decent guys in add Kaputski into this as well and there’s  a load of squad places and wages freed up 

• Like 1

It's good that he knows this but it obviously won't be done in one window. We've got a lot of dross he needs to rid of and we need a few quality players in (a winger, for starters). It's similar to when Poch went into Spurs and Klopp into Liverpool (albeit the latter squad was left by Rodgers). The fact we're overachieving this season is a bonus because we're still in all this process of rebuilding.

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

At least I ****ing hope.

Starting CB

Squad CB

Starting RW

Squad GK

Yes Sunderland had stalled before Conga was there and Celtic have drifted off from the elite level compared to a decade ago.

If we do get a taste of why his reputation is a bit suspect then we won't hang around looking for a replacement I'd say. We got through the 2016 summer of mediocrity in Musa, Hernandez,Zieler etc. I doubt we'll have a window that disastrous for a while yet. 

Our owners are bound to be more decisive than his previous 2 clubs.

1 hour ago, Vestan Pance said:

As well as looking to move on Gray, we could do with shifting these loaned players out permanently. Silva and Slimani, Ghezzal, Diabete etc. Mendy and King also have contracts coming to an end. With that lot I'm not surprised we didn't/couldn't buy in Jan.

Quite right, but why do some people keep going on aboutthe January window anyway? I'm sure they were looking but, if there's no one available or wanting to come that would significantly benefit the squad, why would you, I, or anyone else want to the club to just spunk up a few million pounds just for the satisfaction of saying we bought someone. I think the club deserve a bit of credit, I doubt the recruitment team just sat there without their fingers up their arse. We haven't got a clue who they were looking at and they're not about to tell us either which is exactly the way they should be conducting business. 

• Like 2

Let hope we spend the CL money a little wiser this time.

2 hours ago, Vestan Pance said:

All good and well but someone has to be willing to buy them and match the wages, we have been trying to sell them for the last 18 months with little success. 

• Like 1

I cannot believe the negativity over a promising statement from Rodgers and the club, wanting to invest in new players over the summer, bare in mind Congerton had little money to invest in his previous spells so lets give him a chance with money/new recruitment team on his hands at LCFC. k thanks #idiots

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

At least I ****ing hope.

Starting CB

Squad CB

Starting RW

Squad GK

Everything is relative though, the resources he had at Celtic dwarfed anyone else in the league and he only needed to find players that could win the Scottish league, that I keep seeing on here is league two level.  You could give me £10-15m a season and a wage bill of greater than £50m and I could win league two.  I just don't buy the argument that giving him more resources (money) will make him any more effective at his job, in fact I think it could be the opposite and he could be more destructive.  We've never been able to spend fortunes for obvious reasons but John Park who came before him managed alright, signing guys like Wanyama, Forster, Ki, Hooper, Van Dijk, etc for a couple of million and selling them on for big money.

Fact of the matter is almost all the players brought in under Congerton's watch barely even played in the first team, a couple being pound for pound possibly our worst signings ever in Comperr and Kouassi.  The former played 60 minutes for us in 2.5 years and we paid him 30k a week on Congerton's recommendation.  The latter, we paid close to £4m for, has played about a dozen games and is out on loan at Genk because we can't get shot of him.  That's just two, I could go on all night about some of the others, Hendry et al.

We had a very good track record in terms of transfers prior to Congerton and we're now seeing signs of it coming back now he's gone.  The guy is a charlatan.  I only hope his influence is marginalised at Leicester to the extent he can't do much damage.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

At least I ****ing hope.

Starting CB

Squad CB

Starting RW

Squad GK

If your to get offered the money spoken of for Chilwell, circa £60m you should sell in a heartbeat imo based on his performances this season.  Wouldn't be the hardest task to replace him with even half of that money based on his form this season.

24 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Everything is relative though, the resources he had at Celtic dwarfed anyone else in the league and he only needed to find players that could win the Scottish league, that I keep seeing on here is league two level.  You could give me £10-15m a season and a wage bill of greater than £50m and I could win league two.  I just don't buy the argument that giving him more resources (money) will make him any more effective at his job, in fact I think it could be the opposite and he could be more destructive.  We've never been able to spend fortunes for obvious reasons but John Park who came before him managed alright, signing guys like Wanyama, Forster, Ki, Hooper, Van Dijk, etc for a couple of million and selling them on for big money.

Fact of the matter is almost all the players brought in under Congerton's watch barely even played in the first team, a couple being pound for pound possibly our worst signings ever in Comperr and Kouassi.  The former played 60 minutes for us in 2.5 years and we paid him 30k a week on Congerton's recommendation.  The latter, we paid close to £4m for, has played about a dozen games and is out on loan at Genk because we can't get shot of him.  That's just two, I could go on all night about some of the others, Hendry et al.

We had a very good track record in terms of transfers prior to Congerton and we're now seeing signs of it coming back now he's gone.  The guy is a charlatan.  I only hope his influence is marginalised at Leicester to the extent he can't do much damage.

It's kind of bizarre that BR wanted to work with Congerton again here if Congerton was continually signing players that BR didn't seem good enough to be selected in his teams...