Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Izzet: I Owe So Much To Leicester

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

One of the first players i loved for us, mainly because he stayed when we went down.

However, lets not completely wear blue tinted spectacles. He handed in more transfer requests than Kevin Pressman had Rustlers Burgers.

No shit you owe Leicester mate, we're the only club who loved you. How did Birmingham turn out? Same as Boro and Villa would have.

He left for Birmingham as we got relegated and we was in shit street money wise 

4 hours ago, Sly said:

I always remember Radio Leicester Reading the team out as a kid and it saying:

”Is it, Lennon and Taylor in Midfield” ..... I used to joke with my dad, that they should know! 

TERRIBLE I KNOW!! 

My eyeroll to that hasn't changed since, either :P  (I mean, who didn't have any Izzet/is it jokes back then ;) )

Love Muzzy but it must be remembered that he only reminded at the club after relegation as other clubs were not prepared to pay the massively high wage he was on. He did, however, accept a wage deferral when the club went into administration when the likes of Summerbee and McKinlay were only playing on a match to match basis whilst being paid peanuts. It was one of the reasons that critics like Warnock labeled the club immoral as we largely kept together our Premier League team despite being in admin. The truth being that we couldn't sell them as some players refused to take a pay cut (other than the sacrificial lamb, Matt Piper). 

I remember that infamous Sheff Utd match clearly as I was sitting just to the right of the Directors Box. Unbelievable abuse aimed up towards the Centre Stand but not altogether surprising given the events leading up to it and the shocking performance that day. However, the introduction of that young substitute called Izzet (who?) was the only bit of sunshine making his new older teammates look very poor (they were). Said to my Dad at the time that he was far too good for us and couldn't believe that Chelsea sold him.

Great player for us. Unforgettable. 

My first hero and will always be my favourite, as I'm sure he was for plenty of kids who started in the mid to late 90's. 

Brilliant set-piece taker, such a classy striker of the ball and actually good in the air in front of goal.

Micky Adams said we were a different team with him than without, in his last season didn't he have the most assists in the league?

Prior to the emergence of Jamie Vardy, Muzzy Izzet was my favourite ever Leicester City player. Absolutely adore they guy, along with other people in that team like Taggart and Elliott too. A very skillful player who was also hard working and could get stuck in. It always surprised me a team other than Man U and Arsenal didn't go for him, because Muzzy really was very good. He heavily influenced the game on a weekly basis.

Going back over the years (late 50s)  I try and Track back on the 3 or 4 players,I would have in my all time midfield...

so I am going to put names down that cropped up more than 3 times,when I was playing around with my favourite !!!  Not in any priority .

Riley

Appleton *

Mclintock * ( When he played in MF)

Keyworth (   When Not on the  FL)

D.Gibson *

J.Sinclair.

L.Glover * ( When Moved in from the Wing)

K.Weller.*

Nish.*

Kember.*

Wilson.

Macdonald.

I.Banks*

Mcallister.

Ramsey.

G.Mills*

Lennon *

Izzet *

Parker.*

Cambiasso*

Kante. *

* Imho, something special in a Foxes shirt...

Zagorakis,Kamark,A.King.OakleyDrinkwater  ,Birchenall..mentioned in dispatches.

Present players,are still Building their potential legend status...

Maybe for some Posters some solid names still missing...But this is my list who delivered most ,in my life time,for one season only  or more seasons...

My 4 man midfield would be....

1St Choice ,Kante,Weller,Izzet,D.Gibson

2nd Choice ..Parker,Cambiasso,Nish,Lennon.

And even now,I could change it 100 times over...If Cambiasso & Kante didnt Pass through, Mclintock would be a write in..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

I have to say that despite the incredible success of recent years and truly great players and servants we have had, only Vardy comes close to Izzet as my favourite ever player to be honest. Forget his ability, his work rate, his professionalism,and his loyalty make him a true legend. His goal at Watford in 96 I remember like it was yesterday, his volley against spurs, his goal from 50 yards v Leeds in the cup, the administration season he was world class, could have left a few times and stayed, absolute bona fide legend. 

11 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Going back over the years (late 50s)  I try and Track back on the 3 or 4 players,I would have in my all time midfield...

so I am going to put names down that cropped up more than 3 times,when I was playing around with my favourite !!!  Not in any priority .

Riley

Appleton *

D.Gibson *

J.Sinclair.

K.Weller.*

Nish.*

Kember.*

Wilson.

Macdonald.

I.Banks*

Mcallister.

Ramsey.

G.Mills*

Lennon *

Izzet *

Parker.*

Cambiasso*

Kante. *

Maybe for some Posters some solid names still missing...But this is my list who delivered most ,in my life time,for one season only  or more seasons...

And even now,I could change it 100 times over...If Cambiasso & Kante didnt Pass through, Mclintock would be a write in..!!

In my lifetime I believe a Kante Cambiasso Izzet midfield 3 would be pretty unstoppable. Obviously never seen the likes of Gibson, Weller though. 

Guest Markyblue

Having seen the good ,bad and everything in between over a lot of years he stands alongside vardy as my 2 favourite players.

Met him once he was the ambassador for a kids cancer charity that me and a group of other people did the 3 peaks to raise cash for…

He turned up at near Fosse Park @ 7am to pose for photos and see us off…. He really couldn’t have been more charming…

He was my hero and they say that you shouldn’t never meet them…. Nonsense!

• Like 1

On 20/03/2020 at 07:10, tylesta said:

I think he means the relegation where Taylor and Bassett etc worked their magic and then he stayed to get us promoted under Micky Adams even though Middlesbrough basically agreed a deal to buy him he still stayed out of loyalty, then subsequently after another relegation he finally left when the club had no choice but to sell him. 

• Like 2

Loved Izzet.  He and Lennon, or the Kray twins as they christened themselves, were the poster boys for that great 90s team.  The two of them seemed to compliment each other and become a unit better than the sum of their parts.  Lennon the ginger midfield dynamo, always on the ball or available, giving Izzet the protection to go forward and supply the flair, workrate and a good number of goals.  Those twiglet legs belied a great deal of skill.

Some magic Izzet moments for me:

Watford away in the promotion season (1-0 win).  Might have been his debut?  He spotted some fans with fezes in his honour (Is that the plural of fez?) and jumped into the away end to meet them.

Twatting a 25 yard screamer vs Spurs (2-0).  The game where the fans all had placards imploring O'Neill to stay as he had been linked with Leeds.

Solo breakaway goal v Villa away. Took the ball half the length of the pitch, nutmegging a Villa defender en route before finishing.  My mate was a little miffed as it was a very late goal and gave us a 3-1 win.  He had 2-1 as a correct score and scorer and lost £200.

A player that will live long into the memories of those of us that saw him and will be talked about for years to come. 

Legend.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Loved Izzet.  He and Lennon, or the Kray twins as the bizarrely christened themselves, were the poster boys for that great 90s team.  The two of them seemed to compliment each other and become a unit better than the sum of their parts.  Lennon the ginger midfield dynamo, always on the ball or available, giving Izzet the protection to go forward and supply the flair, workrate and a good number of goals.  Those twiglet legs belied a great deal of skill.

Some magic Izzet moments for me:

Watford away in the promotion season (1-0 win).  Might have been his debut?  He spotted some fans with fezes (what's the plural of fez?) in his honour and jumped into the away end to meet them.

Twatting a 25 yard screamer vs Spurs (2-0).  The game where the fans all had placards imploring O'Neill to stay as he had been linked with Leeds.

Solo breakaway goal v Villa away. took the ball half the length of the pitch, nutmegging a Villa defender en route before finishing.  My mate was a little miffed as it was a very late goal and gave us a 3-1 win.  He had 2-1 as a correct score and scorer and lost £200.

A player that will live long into the memories of those of us that saw him and will be talked about for years to come.  Legend.

Mate, that villa away in 96 was amazing. I was only 9 years old, taken to the game with my dad by his villa supporting mate, was right behind muzzy megging their defender and slotting in to make it 3, was the very definition of what the youngsters are calling limbs, then after the game I remember undoing my coat zip whilst back at the car to unveil my city shirt to my dad's villa mate just to rub it in. I was only 9 but still knew how to take the piss. Had some great wins against Villa under O Neill, the Arnie winner in FA Cup, the 3-1 at home, the league Cup semi, but the 3-1 at Villa was brilliant. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, murphy said:

Really?  I think you need to elaborate.

Won a charity bid over 10 years a go now to play with many of the legends - Izzet had not been long retired and was a pure gent. Said to him in pub after "seemed like you were trying to find me at every opportunity" his reply "yeah, wanted you to have the ball as much as possible as knew it was your moment"

I know "met him before and he was a nice guy" gets used a lot but I can truly say out of the many footballers I've met Muzzy was the nicest of all of them. True gent.    😍

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

On 20/03/2020 at 22:12, fuchsntf said:

Riley

Appleton *

D.Gibson *

J.Sinclair.

K.Weller.*

Nish.*

Kember.*

Wilson.

Macdonald.

I.Banks*

Mcallister.

Ramsey.

G.Mills*

Lennon *

Izzet *

Parker.*

Cambiasso*

Kante. *

SIR Gordon BANKS!!

3 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

SIR Gordon BANKS!!

Did he Play in midfield......:giggle:

I did have  I.Banks in ,I Hope that helps.

i have just done some Internet Bank(s)ing

I am going put for a walk,I will Need to go up & down the Banks...

Edited by fuchsntf

On 20/03/2020 at 07:10, tylesta said:

Yeah and he tried to leave 3 or 4 times.

Just because he was stuck here when we went down doesn't mean we should overlook things like that. He wanted out