Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Overrated players

33 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Once Michael Carrick retired he became overrated. You would have thought he was prime Iniesta or Xavi by the way he’s been spoke about since finishing.

paul scholes was a poor mans carrick tbf 

32 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Always makes me smile how legends who've played the game past and present think he's a genius yet some on FT think he's overrated.

out of interest (you’ve probs said before on here but who knows) what was scholes exceptionally good at? he was an alright premier league midfielder in an amazing team. he was basically just a smaller nicky butt. 

the constant comparing him to lampard and gerrard is so disrespectful to the latter two it’s unreal. 

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

Being a legend of the game doesn't mean you're always right in your opinion. There are plenty of legendary players who've turned out to be awful managers and evaluators of talent. 

Yeah I'm sure yours and scouses opinions on Scholes are more right that the the likes of SAF, Xavi, Pele, Begkamp, Zidane etc. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Just now, Izzy said:

Yeah I'm sure yours and scouses opinions on Scholes are more right that the the likes of SAF, Xavi, Pele, Begkamp, Zidane etc. :rolleyes:

Surely this kind of proves the point though. He's overrated because he gets such lavish praise from respected footballers despite never truly showing that the hype was warranted (and I admit he was a very good player). 

5 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

out of interest (you’ve probs said before on here but who knows) what was scholes exceptionally good at? he was an alright premier league midfielder in an amazing team. he was basically just a smaller nicky butt. 

the constant comparing him to lampard and gerrard is so disrespectful to the latter two it’s unreal. 

IMO opinion Scholes was exceptionally good at reading the game and had an amazing range of passing. He hit the ball on the volley sweeter than most, strong on the ball, rarely gave away possession, consistent, classy, had everything.

Personally I'm not interested in comparing him to Lampard and Gerrard. I just don't get why some on FT don't rate him. Maybe it's a ginger thing or a hatred for the Man Utd team he played in.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

Surely this kind of proves the point though. He's overrated because he gets such lavish praise from respected footballers despite never truly showing that the hype was warranted (and I admit he was a very good player). 

Depends what you mean by 'hype' I guess. I think his stats and achievements in the game speak for themselves really.

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

IMO opinion Scholes was exceptionally good at reading the game and had an amazing range of passing. He hit the ball on the volley sweeter than most, strong on the ball, rarely gave away possession, consistent, classy, had everything.

Word for word, you could be describing Kermorgant there. Except Yann was better than Scholes in the air. 

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Depends what you mean by 'hype' I guess. I think his stats and achievements in the game speak for themselves really.

I am overplaying the overrated a thing a bit just because I know you love it.

But, in my most humble and fair opinion, I never saw the ability some people believe he had, as good a player as he was. I think it's become fashionable to say how generationally brilliant he was, pundits think it makes them seem more knowledgeable. Some of the praise he gets is absurd and seems to come from quotes dubiously attributed to some ex footballers.

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

But, in my most humble and fair opinion, I never saw the ability some people believe he had, as good a player as he was. I think it's become fashionable to say how generationally brilliant he was, pundits think it makes them seem more knowledgeable. Some of the praise he gets is absurd and seems to come from quotes dubiously attributed to some ex footballers.

Fair do's, I take your point. No idea how dubious the quotes are tbf

I suppose I always liked watching Scholes before it became 'fashionable' to look back on his career and drool. He's just my type of player I guess. And I always liked the way he avoided the limelight and didn't chase the fame. And he's a fellow ginger and looks like me :P

11 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Have struggled to understand how Dele Alli has many admirers despite, whenever watching him play, he seems pretty average.

Same thought goes towards Richarlison, too, personally.

Richarlison is class. Dives a lot which is a shame but I'd take him here like a shot. His goal return is good for someone who spent most of his career in England playing left midfield.

10 hours ago, don_danbury said:

RAVEL MORRISON?? lol 

There was a spell about six years ago where he was predicted to be a star player, scored a goal at Tottenham and the press went wild, Redknapp said he was as good as Bale, he was very highly thought of at one stage without doing anything major or consistent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52250660

'I was a liability'

Scholes scored 107 Premier League goals for United but ended his career playing deep in midfield, controlling games with his wide array of passing. He says he had to learn to enjoy not getting into the opposition's penalty area.

I just accepted it, moving deeper. It happened before I retired with England, I was a bit of a liability in midfield because the only thought in my head was to score goals.

Sometimes, especially in Europe, we were getting overrun and I was getting destroyed. It must have been a nightmare for Roy Keane alongside me.

I will die on this hill. 

:D

16 hours ago, bovril said:

Only proves what I have always mentioned...This forum cant Spot any Good player..lol

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52250660

With 11 Premier League winners' medals, two Champions League wins and 66 international caps to his name, there can be little doubt Paul Scholes will go down in the history books as one of the greats.

About sums it up.

Dont bother mate,after all that,there are always Dozos who will post...Ya but..!!!  :dunno:

Edited by fuchsntf