Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Overrated players

Coutinho

Carragher

Ledley King

Tom Cleverley as a blast from the past, somehow got 13 caps for England, most of which playing as a number 10. No better than Matty James.

Harry Kane’s an interesting one, I don’t think his footballing ability is overrated but his character certainly is. He strikes me as a profoundly selfish footballer but seems to have a reputation in the press as being a good guy who puts the team first. There’s a reason he’s got 2 or 3 golden boots but hasn’t come close to winning anything of consequence in his career, it’s that he’d rather lose 4-3 and have scored a hat trick than win 4-0 and not have scored.

26 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Coutinho

Carragher

Ledley King

Tom Cleverley as a blast from the past, somehow got 13 caps for England, most of which playing as a number 10. No better than Matty James.

Harry Kane’s an interesting one, I don’t think his footballing ability is overrated but his character certainly is. He strikes me as a profoundly selfish footballer but seems to have a reputation in the press as being a good guy who puts the team first. There’s a reason he’s got 2 or 3 golden boots but hasn’t come close to winning anything of consequence in his career, it’s that he’d rather lose 4-3 and have scored a hat trick than win 4-0 and not have scored.

Hit the nail on the head there. I was fooled at the start of the world cup into thinking he wasnt like this. Spurs definitely looked more like a team in the champions league run when he was out injured and were more effective as a result.

2 semi controversial ones here; Trent AA and AWB. 

AWB can tackle but not much else, yet he is spoken of as some sort of god.

Trent no doubt is a brilliant player and his on ball ability is worldclass. But his defending leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think he's a decent RB in all honesty.

5 hours ago, 49er said:

Any of the ‘Golden Generation’

i'd go the other way and say that most the golden generation quite underrated by football fans these days. rooney, lampard, owen, beckham, gerrard, cole and terry were all some of the best players in the world at their time, look at what they did for their clubs, look at their individual accolades, look at the teams they played for. 

the overrated players at the time were the ones who were continuously touted as the solution to england's problems and ones who should replace the golden generation. such as owen hargreaves, ledley king and anyone who was left footed. and paul scholes, obviously.

Edited by ScouseFox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

i'd go the other way and say that most the golden generation quite underrated by football fans these days. rooney, lampard, owen, beckham, gerrard, cole and terry were all some of the best players in the world at their time, look at what they did for their clubs, look at their individual accolades, look at the teams they played for. 

yet still they won f...ck all with England

2 minutes ago, Dr Marco said:

yet still they won f...ck all with England

yeah, they didn't work as a team for whatever reason you want to believe. sven, no left winger, they all hated each other, we got mugged off 3 tournaments in a row by horrendous bad luck etc etc. 

that doesn't mean they weren't all in their own right some of the best players to ever play the game. for example, owen won a ballon d'or, was a galactico, won the golden boot two seasons in a row as a teenager (!!!), was premier league player of the year aged 19 (!), at the time he was england's youngest ever player, youngest ever goalscorer, still the only player to score at 4 tournaments in a row, and he did all this in what was effectively only half a career because he was pretty much a broken machine by his mid 20s. 

yet people seem to look back on him and think oh yeah he scored a few goals when he was up and coming, then got injured, and he's a bit boring when he commentates. 

if you go through and look at everything that the 8-10 players considered "the golden generation" actually achieved in their career you realise how underrated they all are. ashley cole is arguably the best left back to have ever played the game yet most people just think of him as the guy who pissed arsenal off and cheated on cheryl cole ffs. 

7 hours ago, ttfn said:

Coutinho

Carragher

Ledley King

Because he plays for Spurs, who were overachieving when they were finishing top 4 under Poch. If Kane played for Man City / Liverpool he'd still bang in the goals but would also be in a chance of winning a trophy.

He does come across as selfish to me but his goalscoring record is unbelievable. He's already Spurs' 3rd or 4th highest goalscorer of all time and he's only mid 20's. 

32 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Lampard was the better player 

Gerrard was more complete imo. Gerrard would never get 20+ goals a season like Lampard (which is incredible) but Gerrard was good in the air, on the ground, winning the ball back, good on set pieces, a good captain... he played attacking, defensive, wide. Lets be honest he carried Liverpool for a couple seasons and single handily won the FA Cup for them in 2006.

I did / do like both and enjoy watching both.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Because he plays for Spurs, who were overachieving when they were finishing top 4 under Poch. If Kane played for Man City / Liverpool he'd still bang in the goals but would also be in a chance of winning a trophy.

He does come across as selfish to me but his goalscoring record is unbelievable. He's already Spurs' 3rd or 4th highest goalscorer of all time and he's only mid 20's. 

As I say his footballing quality is not in doubt. That he’s a great goal scorer is self evident, he’s won 2 PL golden boots and a World Cup golden boot, that’s absolutely elite level goal scoring whichever way you look at it.

Man City or Liverpool would never sign Kane. And Kane would never sign for them as he’d find himself being rotated with better players. He’d never win a golden boot again if he moved to a club capable of winning trophies because they wouldn’t tolerate his selfishness. Can you imagine Guardiola’s reaction to his aimless pot shots?

8 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

the overrated players at the time were the ones who were continuously touted as the solution to england's problems and ones who should replace the golden generation. such as owen hargreaves, ledley king and anyone who was left footed. and paul scholes, obviously.

What did they win at international level?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

The praise Phil Foden gets is hilarious. The kid could retire now and be remembered as one of the greats

Any young player who plays for the ‘big’ teams is invariably described as some sort of superstar at the outset of their career. Anyone remember Josh McEcharan and how his career went? 

Most football pundits, David James somehow for years he found himself as England's number one I know at the time there was limited choice in keepers but bringing him back into the fold for 2010 world cup was a big mistake... considering the team he was playing for had just been relegated. 

3 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

Aubamayang, scores a lot against clubs like Norwich but goes missing in big games. He’s still a good player but certainly not in the very top bracket 

I think that description more accurately describes Rashford

4 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

completely irrelevant in discussing how good they were at football, and is the main reason daft people actually under rate them as players. 

are you going to claim that man for man the greece team from 2004 was better than the english “golden generation”? just because we lost on penalties after a dodgy disallowed goal and an injury to one of our best players? 

one good player doesn’t win a world cup by himself anymore like they did when most matches were like kids games. using “they didn’t win the world cup” as a reason to claim some of the greatest players, arguably of all time, but definitely of their generation, are overrated, is stupid. 

cheers. 

But the England team included the vast majority of the Golden Generation in a number of tournaments so we were not relying on just one player