Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Overrated players

andy carroll was criminally underrated at his peak, for me. 2012 or so he was better at what he did than anyone else in the league. another player who the twitter mob decided it was funny to post jokes about him being injured a lot and all the airhead carling drinkers just forgot that he was actually really good at footy. same as heskey, owen, even going back further anderton or jamie redknapp. 

On 10/04/2020 at 21:52, ScouseFox said:

out of interest (you’ve probs said before on here but who knows) what was scholes exceptionally good at? he was an alright premier league midfielder in an amazing team. he was basically just a smaller nicky butt. 

the constant comparing him to lampard and gerrard is so disrespectful to the latter two it’s unreal. 

Scholes is twice the player Lampard has ever been 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, ttfn said:

As I say his footballing quality is not in doubt. That he’s a great goal scorer is self evident, he’s won 2 PL golden boots and a World Cup golden boot, that’s absolutely elite level goal scoring whichever way you look at it.

Man City or Liverpool would never sign Kane. And Kane would never sign for them as he’d find himself being rotated with better players. He’d never win a golden boot again if he moved to a club capable of winning trophies because they wouldn’t tolerate his selfishness. Can you imagine Guardiola’s reaction to his aimless pot shots?

Would not be tolerated by Pep full stop.That golden boot was a joke aswell.Totally went missing at the business end.

Why are ther so many names in here that people don't rate anyway. Butland has been hammered for the past 18 months or so, as for Trevor Benjamin (Benjamin, he tried his best when he was here, but how is he seen as "overrated") lol 

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

andy carroll was criminally underrated at his peak, for me. 2012 or so he was better at what he did than anyone else in the league. another player who the twitter mob decided it was funny to post jokes about him being injured a lot and all the airhead carling drinkers just forgot that he was actually really good at footy. same as heskey, owen, even going back further anderton or jamie redknapp. 

Michael Owen was unreal. Because he's a shit pundit now I think people forget how good he actually was. Redknapp was just hit with injuries, shame.

Willian, pundits all seem to think he's brilliant because they'll watch him have a good game against dross. He averages less than 5 goals a season playing for probably the consistently 2nd best team in England since he's been here. He's got 5 more PL goals than Antonio in almost double the appearances lol 

On 10/04/2020 at 22:01, Corky said:

Is Ozil really overrated? Most pundits seem to queue up to bash him and lots of other fans think he's a waste of money and lazy with it.

Under-rated players can become over-rated very quickly and vice versa I've found. It's something very specific to the time it's said.

See I'd possibly even argue Bruno Fernandes is over-rated right now. He has made a good start for Manchester United but that's all it is, and you've got people now saying it's the basis for them to challenge again? That's just well over the top to me. Judge players over years rather than the odd run of 3/4 games.

Scholes on the flip side has probably become under-rated by the masses because everyone now wants to stick the boot in. Granted that "still got it" post for something I could do myself doesn't particularly help.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Willian, pundits all seem to think he's brilliant because they'll watch him have a good game against dross. He averages less than 5 goals a season playing for probably the consistently 2nd best team in England since he's been here. He's got 5 more PL goals than Antonio in almost double the appearances lol 

Oh god yeah he’s dog muck, if he was English he’d be absolutely hammered 

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 16:20, ttfn said:

As I say his footballing quality is not in doubt. That he’s a great goal scorer is self evident, he’s won 2 PL golden boots and a World Cup golden boot, that’s absolutely elite level goal scoring whichever way you look at it.

Man City or Liverpool would never sign Kane. And Kane would never sign for them as he’d find himself being rotated with better players. He’d never win a golden boot again if he moved to a club capable of winning trophies because they wouldn’t tolerate his selfishness. Can you imagine Guardiola’s reaction to his aimless pot shots?

That World Cup golden boot was the biggest anomaly ever and kind of sums him up to me. He's got the numbers to back it up but ultimately when it mattered most, the knock-outs, he wasn't actually any good. 3 of the 6 were penalties, another was literally a shot that hit him and went in. I'm not taking it away from him but I'm certainly not using that as an index for greatness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

That World Cup golden boot was the biggest anomaly ever and kind of sums him up to me. He's got the numbers to back it up but ultimately when it mattered most, the knock-outs, he wasn't actually any good. 3 of the 6 were penalties, another was literally a shot that hit him and went in. I'm not taking it away from him but I'm certainly not using that as an index for greatness.

Though your right that the golden boot was won from ricochets and penalties, I disagree that Kane isn’t quality. 

its a skill in itself to find space from

nothing, and to have the intelligence to hold the ball up as well as he does. The goal against us this season was no fluke, absolute quality in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkish14 said:

Though your right that the golden boot was won from ricochets and penalties, I disagree that Kane isn’t quality. 

nothing, and to have the intelligence to hold the ball up as well as he does. The goal against us this season was no fluke, absolute quality in my opinion. 

it's deffo not a fluke, no. scoring that many goals consistently isn't a fluke either. but if you have the sheer amount of shots that he does, you're going to score that many goals. and you're going to occasionally score incredible looking/almost impossible goals like he scored against us. he'll score more goals than most that could be described as him "having absolutely no right to score from there" because most players would just pass. it's a fine line between that being unbelievable and being rubbish. 

kane's an interesting discussion. i can't think of any attribute he's particularly good at. not quick, not massively strong, not very technical, not amazing in the air, not particularly two footed, not a set piece expert, not an incredibly hard worker etc etc. but fu cking hell he scores goals. 

6 hours ago, turkish14 said:

I didn't say he wasn't quality as he obviously is very good, you don't score that many if you aren't, although I did think that particular tournament was a complete anomaly. Was he really the best striker in the whole thing?

I think slating strikers for scoring tap ins is a weak argument. Penalties not as much, and that one that literally hit him and went in lol I don't know, I just feel like that golden boot was quite misleading. The Premier League golden boots absolutely no qualms.

On 13/04/2020 at 11:37, Fox92 said:

Why are ther so many names in here that people don't rate anyway. Butland has been hammered for the past 18 months or so, as for Trevor Benjamin (Benjamin, he tried his best when he was here, but how is he seen as "overrated") lol 

The only time Trev was overrated was the period after we signed him for £1.5m (or nearly 4 Riyads) until he started playing for us, I'd argue.

This happens with most of these threads, see below your post and above this, John Stones is named, like he doesn't already get enough criticism...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I didn't say he wasn't quality as he obviously is very good, you don't score that many if you aren't, although I did think that particular tournament was a complete anomaly. Was he really the best striker in the whole thing?

I think slating strikers for scoring tap ins is a weak argument. Penalties not as much, and that one that literally hit him and went in lol I don't know, I just feel like that golden boot was quite misleading. The Premier League golden boots absolutely no qualms.

I dunno, even then he's claiming teammates goals whilst swearing on family member's lives.

The bloke is such an unbearable loser.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Jordan Henderson has to be in with a shout this season.

You'd think he was the Mackem Lothar Matthaus the way the media have gone on about him.

Henderson used to get hammered all the time and now he's had a good season he's overrated? No chance. He has improved as a player and rightly getting plaudits this season.

2 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Have to agree with the Scholes shouts, man literally gets hyped like he was the Keane of that team where hes on par with Darren fletcher. Trying to shoehorn him into the Gerrard Lampard debate has always been embarrassing. I don't think he could walk into another club like those two could and elevate them 

I get bored of seeing Scholes' name banded about nowadays, and people seem to justify it with "well Zidane once said this about him", but he's not on par with Darren Fletcher. You don't play 700+ times for Manchester United, and a number of very good Manchester United teams, if you're on par with Darren Fletcher. Scholes was an ever present throughout Fergie's time at the club.

I do agree with your last bit though about Gerrard/Lampard elevating a side. What is incomparable for me is if you take Gerrard for example, he carried most of the Liverpool teams he played in. Where as Scholes was playing in good Manchester United teams anyway. 

Edited by Fox92