Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Tiger's Hotel Complex or is it some factory?

May be an image of 1 person and outdoorsMay be an image of skyMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoors

I don't get what has happened here? Why are the putting it right outside the "Leicester Tigers" main stand bit. Completely blocks the view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

May be a black-and-white image of 10 people and street

Mid 50s

To me, this photo, among others around the same period, shows how much the large out of town shopping centres have taken people away from the "traditional" town centre shopping. The vast majority of the city population would have worked in local industries Monday to Friday. Saturday was likely to be a day where they would treat themselves to a day out shopping in town. No Sunday trading back then, either.

• Like 1

Was quite interested (not quite sure that's the correct word) to find out from my mums cousin, who has been doing the family ancestral tree that my Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather (John Fowkes) was hanged in Leicester prison in 1856 for the murder of his Nephew. :ph34r:

Here is a clipping from the time;-

image.png.23505687055cf5040c144141df51474a.png

Edit- To add, after further investigation he was also the last man to be publicly hanged in Leicester Prison

Source https://www.truecrimelibrary.com/crimearticle/john-fowkes/

Edited by Suzie the Fox
add something
  • Like 4

On 03/01/2022 at 13:20, davieG said:

Tiger's Hotel Complex or is it some factory?

May be an image of 1 person and outdoorsMay be an image of skyMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoors

Was mentioned in another thread. This is a truly hideous piece of outdated Architecture.

How the council have passed something so dreary is bizarre.

57 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Was quite interested (not quite sure that's the correct word) to find out from my mums cousin, who has been doing the family ancestral tree that my Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather (John Fowkes) was hanged in Leicester prison in 1856 for the murder of his Nephew. :ph34r:

Edit- To add, after further investigation he was also the last man to be publicly hanged in Leicester Prison

Although that article says he was the last to be hung at Leicester Prison (March, 1856), the same source also claims it was Peppermint Billy (July, 1856). Perhaps your relative was indoors with Brown outdoors in public? 

Edit: Actually both in public with a crowd of 25,000 for the latter. 

https://www.truecrimelibrary.com/crimearticle/william-brown/

Edited by Spudulike
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, kenny said:

Was mentioned in another thread. This is a truly hideous piece of outdated Architecture.

How the council have passed something so dreary is bizarre.

I don't think the Council has much influence on external appearances, certainly judging from some of the other buildings that have been approved unless it impinges on nearby buildings listed or of interest.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

I don't think the Council has much influence on external appearances, certainly judging from some of the other buildings that have been approved unless it impinges on nearby buildings listed or of interest.

They have too much say when it suits them. The reason all buildings are brick in Leicester is at the inisistance of the planners and it hampers innovative design.

It's a shame in this instance that the application hasn't been rejected because of its poor design. It's also a surprise that the hotel end user it's happy with it looking so drab.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Although that article says he was the last to be hung at Leicester Prison (March, 1856), the same source also claims it was Peppermint Billy (July, 1856). Perhaps your relative was indoors with Brown outdoors in public? 

Edit: Actually both in public with a crowd of 25,000 for the latter. 

https://www.truecrimelibrary.com/crimearticle/william-brown/

Interesting to read the short article via the link. 

25,000 people is a big crowd though. How would they have even estimated that number? Also I wonder where outside Leicester prison, the execution took place in order to accommodate the number of people, Mandela Park? I imagine that, back in 1856, 25,000 was around the entire population of Leicester. 

Still, a strange bit of notoriety for the city.

Edited by Parafox

41 minutes ago, kenny said:

They have too much say when it suits them. The reason all buildings are brick in Leicester is at the inisistance of the planners and it hampers innovative design.

It's a shame in this instance that the application hasn't been rejected because of its poor design. It's also a surprise that the hotel end user it's happy with it looking so drab.

Thanks for the info I never knew that.

7 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

That's great, love looking at my family tree.

My Grandad (who I never met) worked there for years. Have plenty of photos of him receiving medals and awards for his service etc but have no idea how to find out exactly what for and who was presenting the awards.

My Mum was too young to remember and no idea where the awards etc actually are.

I've managed to get back to the 1700s on my family tree, pretty much all Leicester/Leicestershire based with a large contingent originating from Shackerstone which was like a tiny hamlet back then and didn't seem much bigger now when I went to have a walk around. Managed to find many family headstones in the churchyard.

Edited by Rain King
  • Like 1

May be an image of outdoors

A 1962 aerial shot of the city centre Clock Tower, also showing shops such as British Home Stores, Philips and Burton Tailoring. You can also spot adverts for well known brands such as Bovril and Guinness.

In the bottom right corner you can see the demolition for the start of the Haymarket development.

May be an image of 11 people, outdoors and text that says "I DEN Leicester Storyofleicester.info"

Following the above aerial shot of the Clock Tower in 1962,where you could see they had started the demolition in the spot where the Haymarket Shopping Centre now occupies...

Fast forward ten years to 1972 and here is a street view of the Haymarket Centre still under construction on Humberstone Gate. It opened the following year in June 1973 and was the country's second shopping centre, after the Bull Ring in Birmingham.

These were both from - https://storyofleicester.info/?fbclid=IwAR09xdGfxwobtfngjFntudY1gv3BLvY45RzBGB9NDJmib3T-paSKrW93yT0

• Like 2

A little story.

(Gloria Kelly, WW2 People’s War BBC)
The baby was 7 days old when all hell broke loose. All of a sudden, the windows shattered by the Nazis who were retreating after bombing Coventry. My father picked a pram from across the road, rolled my mum in a blanket and put both her and the baby in the pram. He carried me in his coat and we just walked. In those days, Leicester was full of trees. My dads aim was to get to the country because he thought the city was being bombed. He came to Blackbird Road and could have gone either way. The trees were more dense heading towards Anstey and we just walked aimlessly that way. After a time, we came through a tiny village (which WAS Anstey). The people there were amazed to see a man walking through the village, with his wife in a pram with a newborn baby and children trailing behind. They soon rallied round and put us in the congregational chapel. We were made very welcome — eventually lying down to sleep on mattresses.
The following day, a young man came to see my mother and sat on her bed. He told her how he’d heard of her plight and told her she was welcome to use his holiday home, which was in James’ Street, Anstey. My mother was delighted — especially as it meant we would all be able to stay together. I don’t really know how long it was that we were there — but it was quite a while — and we still hadn’t paid any rent. Then one day a chap came to the door who we didn’t know and explained that the man who had given us the house was a pilot and he’d been killed in action. The man asked how much we could afford to pay him to rent the house. It was probably about 5 shillings. The man, Mr Willet, became a close friend. In later life, I bought my house from him. He was a good man. We lived on James’ Street for the rest of the war.
While we were in the bungalow, we had Americans come to Anstey in jeeps. They were stationed on the gorse — a stones throw from the village. My older sisters used to court them. I remember taking a ride in the jeep. I used to show off, because they let me sit in the front. We went all round the village. I remember we used to walk up to the gorse and shout “Have you got any candy Andy?” They used to throw us sweets over the fence — if we were cheeky enough! Mostly though, they were very gentlemanly.
I remember the rag and bone man. He used to walk alongside the horse and cart shouting “any old rags”. At that time, there weren’t many left offs. My dad used to mend all our shoes. I used to get goldfishes off him, which would drive my mother mad! She wanted me to by a cup and saucer off him but I’d always come back with something that I wanted!
There was another woman, who used to have a horse with a wagon. She’d come round late at night selling bread. I can remember the sirens going off. All us children used to jump under the tables.
I remember my first day at school. My mother took me to the infants school in Anstey. When you went inside there was this big wooden rocking-horse. To get you used to being in classes, you were allowed a ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

A 1962 aerial shot of the city centre Clock Tower, also showing shops such as British Home Stores, Philips and Burton Tailoring. You can also spot adverts for well known brands such as Bovril and Guinness.

In the bottom right corner you can see the demolition for the start of the Haymarket development.

May be an image of 11 people, outdoors and text that says "I DEN Leicester Storyofleicester.info"

Following the above aerial shot of the Clock Tower in 1962,where you could see they had started the demolition in the spot where the Haymarket Shopping Centre now occupies...

Fast forward ten years to 1972 and here is a street view of the Haymarket Centre still under construction on Humberstone Gate. It opened the following year in June 1973 and was the country's second shopping centre, after the Bull Ring in Birmingham.

These were both from - https://storyofleicester.info/?fbclid=IwAR09xdGfxwobtfngjFntudY1gv3BLvY45RzBGB9NDJmib3T-paSKrW93yT0

Brings back memories!Allways used to meet my gf at the time at C&A corner.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Sorry but I thought Nottinghams Broadmarsh & Victoria were opened first...& Considered also from Leicester Shoppers a better center...

I can remember at the Time my Mother & aunties, who Preferred to Shop in home Town Leicester & Leicester market,were rather  Disappointed with

their own new Haymarket..& My young generation of friends tending to agree...

To be be brutally honest, architects,Councils,planners ,murdered the Center of Leicester, and were totally Short on forethought...

Edited by fuchsntf

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Sorry but I thought Nottinghams Broadmarsh & Victoria were opened first...& Considered also from Leicester Shoppers a better center...

I can remember at the Time my Mother & aunties, who Preferred to Shop in home Town Leicester & Leicester market,were rather  Disappointed with

their own new Haymarket..& My young generation of friends tending to agree...

To be be brutally honest, architects,Councils,planners ,murdered the Center of Leicester, and were totally Short on forethought...

I just copied that so I can't say which was built 1st and I'm not sure it's something to be proud of anyway who would ever want to brag about anything to do with the Haymarket Centre

No photo description available.

Graham Anderson

November 1953. I was convinced that there was not one building still standing in this view from the Haymarket along Belgrave Gate, but on closer inspection the two white-fronted, three-storey buildings on the left-hand side of the road are still there. Sadly, they are probably the least distinctive of any in the picture. The first of these, now Paddy Power bookmakers, has acquired a “stepped” parapet to the roofline.
It’s a great shot for transport: two Leyland Titan buses – the mainstay of Leicester City Transport for many years – a number 33 heading for East Park Road, having come from Melton Road, where the terminus was close to Lanesborough Road and Rushey Fields.
The 42, with its back to the camera, was heading for that Melton Road terminus.
These buses are in the old, classic LCT livery of predominantly maroon with cream banding. Later, these colours were reversed and cream predominated.
There’s a pre-war Morris 8 car waiting at the zebra crossing and, behind it, a Bedford British Road Services lorry – remember them?

1 hour ago, davieG said:

I just copied that so I can't say which was built 1st and I'm not sure it's something to be proud of anyway who would ever want to brag about anything to do with the Haymarket Centre

:o Reckon I would rather brag about being One of the Great Train Robbers...

7 hours ago, davieG said:

A little story.

(Gloria Kelly, WW2 People’s War BBC)
The baby was 7 days old when all hell broke loose. All of a sudden, the windows shattered by the Nazis who were retreating after bombing Coventry. My father picked a pram from across the road, rolled my mum in a blanket and put both her and the baby in the pram. He carried me in his coat and we just walked. In those days, Leicester was full of trees. My dads aim was to get to the country because he thought the city was being bombed. He came to Blackbird Road and could have gone either way. The trees were more dense heading towards Anstey and we just walked aimlessly that way. After a time, we came through a tiny village (which WAS Anstey). The people there were amazed to see a man walking through the village, with his wife in a pram with a newborn baby and children trailing behind. They soon rallied round and put us in the congregational chapel. We were made very welcome — eventually lying down to sleep on mattresses.
The following day, a young man came to see my mother and sat on her bed. He told her how he’d heard of her plight and told her she was welcome to use his holiday home, which was in James’ Street, Anstey. My mother was delighted — especially as it meant we would all be able to stay together. I don’t really know how long it was that we were there — but it was quite a while — and we still hadn’t paid any rent. Then one day a chap came to the door who we didn’t know and explained that the man who had given us the house was a pilot and he’d been killed in action. The man asked how much we could afford to pay him to rent the house. It was probably about 5 shillings. The man, Mr Willet, became a close friend. In later life, I bought my house from him. He was a good man. We lived on James’ Street for the rest of the war.
While we were in the bungalow, we had Americans come to Anstey in jeeps. They were stationed on the gorse — a stones throw from the village. My older sisters used to court them. I remember taking a ride in the jeep. I used to show off, because they let me sit in the front. We went all round the village. I remember we used to walk up to the gorse and shout “Have you got any candy Andy?” They used to throw us sweets over the fence — if we were cheeky enough! Mostly though, they were very gentlemanly.
I remember the rag and bone man. He used to walk alongside the horse and cart shouting “any old rags”. At that time, there weren’t many left offs. My dad used to mend all our shoes. I used to get goldfishes off him, which would drive my mother mad! She wanted me to by a cup and saucer off him but I’d always come back with something that I wanted!
There was another woman, who used to have a horse with a wagon. She’d come round late at night selling bread. I can remember the sirens going off. All us children used to jump under the tables.
I remember my first day at school. My mother took me to the infants school in Anstey. When you went inside there was this big wooden rocking-horse. To get you used to being in classes, you were allowed a ride.

That is an amazing snapshot of one family's life back then.