Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

4 hours ago, davieG said:

May be an image of outdoors

Aylestone Gas Works and the Leicester Power Station cooling towers.

Mrs Para didn't believe me when I told that those gas holders, the structure to the left in the pic, would get lower as gas was consumed and that pressure helped provide the gas to the consumer through the gas pipes.

Wiki: A gas holder or gasholder, also known as a gasometer, is a large container in which natural gas or town gas is stored near atmospheric pressure at ambient temperatures. The volume of the container follows the quantity of stored gas, with pressure coming from the weight of a movable cap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Mrs Para didn't believe me when I told that those gas holders, the structure to the left in the pic, would get lower as gas was consumed and that pressure helped provide the gas to the consumer through the gas pipes.

Wiki: A gas holder or gasholder, also known as a gasometer, is a large container in which natural gas or town gas is stored near atmospheric pressure at ambient temperatures. The volume of the container follows the quantity of stored gas, with pressure coming from the weight of a movable cap.

When I was at the poly we visited Ratcliffe on Trent Power Station and went inside the cooling towers there was a walkway a cross a third of the way up. Amazing structures.

On 31 January 1916, nine airships, including L20 'The Raider of Loughborough' left Germany and Tønder in (modern day) Denmark in order to attack the docks at Liverpool, which would have shocked the British public due to the long range of the attack.

The airships never reached Liverpool and, due to a miscalculation, instead dropped their bombs on several towns including Tipton, Wednesbury, Walsall, Burton upon Trent, Nottingham, Derby, and Loughborough.

L20 killed an estimated 10 people in Loughborough including Mary Anne Page and two of her children, whose names can be seen on a plaque in Loughborough Carillon Park.

On 2nd May 1916, L20 began its second bombing raid on Britain with the intention of attacking factories and railways in Middlesborough, Stockton-on-Tees and Hartlepool, and targeting enemy warships near Edinburgh.

However, engine problems and strong winds led the airship to veer off course. High winds blew her out into the North Sea and to neutral Norway where she crash landed into Hafrsfjord near Stavanger. The photo above is by Hans Henriksen / Stavanger City Archive.

Thank you to Ian Castle, author of ‘Zeppelin Onslaught’ for much of the above information

© Colourised by Tom Marshall (PhotograFix)

May be an image of 6 people and text that says "PhotooraFix www.chotogra www.photogra-fix.com fix.com C Colourised @CalourisedbyTomMarshall by Tom Marshall"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and brick wall

This photograph was taken from the corner of High Street  / Highcross Street ( Where the High Cross Pub is) many years ago. Now Jubilee Square.

May be an image of 4 people and street

Terry Jones
The Pawn Shop..It also sold furniture...To the left was Wood`s Health food shop, Lincoln`s the chiropodist and far left was Bowley`s the upholsterer.On the right, Frank`s used to be the pram shop

Maybe we could include photos of the towns in Leicestershire where we live. I was born and bred in Leicester and moved to Hinckley after I got married as I didn't want to live in a city.

Hinckley – Knitting Together The Heritage of the East Midlands Knitting  Industry

Photo of Hinckley, Castle Street 1964 - Francis Frith

Edited by Parafox

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Maybe we could include photos of the towns in Leicestershire where we live. I was born and bred in Leicester and moved to Hinckley after I got married as I didn't want to live in a city.

Hinckley – Knitting Together The Heritage of the East Midlands Knitting  Industry

For sure, I only post what pops up on my Facebook page,

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Parafox said:

Come on folks. If you live outside the city, show us your town/village.

Made In Leicester

Jo Mungovin  · 

#OTD 3 February 1399 John of Gaunt, Earl of Leicester and Duke of Lancaster, died at Leicester Castle, reputedly his favourite of the thirty residences in his duchy. The duchy was so vast that it was virtually an independent state.

John’s death became one of the ultimate triggers in the deposition of Richard II and the ascension of Henry IV. On Johns death, Richard II deprived his cousin Henry Bolingbroke his inheritance, causing Bolingbroke to invade England, overthrow Richard and proclaim himself Henry IV.

Johns second wife Constance Queen of Castile, his daughter-in-law Mary de Bohun (first wife of Henry iv) & of course his Grt Grandson Richard III are all buried in Leicester.

May be an image of monument and text that says "LEICESTER CASTLE IN THE TIME OF JOHN OF GAUNT."

May be an image of 1 person

• Thanks 1