Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

21 minutes ago, davieG said:

May be an image of 1 person, crowd and outdoors

A pop festival at Welford Road Recreation Ground July 1969.

I was carrying out some work at a fire station in Nottingham several years ago. Some of the fireman had done some training at Lancaster Road fire station and mentioned they played football on Welford Road Reccy during breaks

I said it was now know as Nelson Mandela Park.

They didn't believe me, accusing me of watching too much Only Fools and Horses.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 1

No photo description available.

An interesting view looking towards the stairs and ticket collection booth, December 11th 1935. Lots of interesting details including enamel signage, big vending machine, a telephone kiosk, and the train indicators

A fruit vending machine if I'm not mistaken, why did they never catch on?

• Like 1

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

Humberstone Railway Station late 50s.

This was the last station on the GN branch from Marefield Junction to Leicester Belgrave Rd Station which was quite a large terminus.
It served a part of the county which continues to be poorly served by public transport and road.
The station was served by an unadvertised service to Melton and weekend excursions to Skegness, Sutton on sea and Mablethorpe in the 1960’s
The station retained a coal concentration depot until it was finally closed .

• Like 1

May be an image of 1 person, train and railway

Mark Sutton
West Bridge 1958, taken from the Pex building that burnt down in 1979. Unusual angle don't think I have ever seen a picture from this angle before. Photo courtesy of Molly Storer, Leicester Born and Bred Facebook page.

• Like 2

May be a black-and-white image of 2 people and outdoors

Did you own an Imperial Typewriter?
Here is one of their stores in central Leicester in the 1960s.

In 1902, an American inventor called Hidalgo Moya arrived in Leicester with a handmade prototype typewriter. Soon after the Moya Typewriter Company was formed in a small factory on Garton Street. In 1908, two local businessmen invested in a new design, which became the Imperial Model A. Within a few years Imperial Typewriters would be in offices everywhere, and soon hundreds of thousands of people would be using them.

Imperial Typewriter Company produced electric, standard, and portable typewriters. Its main premises were on East Park Road and Copdale Road, but the company also owned several other buildings for manufacturing items, including office machinery for invoicing, cheque-writing, typewriter accessories, and repairs.

You can read more of the Imperial Typewriter Company story in Leicester on this website:
https://strikeatimperial.net/timeline
  • Like 2

May be a black-and-white image of 7 people, people standing and outdoors

The Leicester Blitz – the German Air Raid on Leicester, 19-20 Nov. 1940

After an all too short run at Newarke Houses Museum last summer this exhibition returns to the museum to commemorate Leicester’s ‘Blitz Night’ when 108 people were killed by German bombers.

The exhibition shows how Leicester prepared for air raids and covers all the German attacks. It also shows how people acted on that night, often in the words of those who were there.

Open 5th March - 22nd May 2022

https://www.leicestermuseums.org/TheLeicesterBlitz  
— at Newarke Houses Museum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person and outdoors

Leicester, Abbey Motor Hotel in Abbey Street. Photo taken in 1967

I remember going to a works do there when it was still in a good condition.

6 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

@davieG apart from your new post non of the images work for me, Ive got broken image icons :dunno:  is that just me? 

It might be because the Facebook page I got them from has removed them although it does seem a lot and they're not all from the same place, I guess I'm saying I don't know. except mine are like that now.

Just checked and you get this - url signature expired facebook, seems like they expire unless their posted in a certain way not sure if that's the original on Facebook or me on here.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Suicide Central. :(

More jumpers from that car park than any other site in the city. 

Easy access, high up, fairly easy to go unnoticed, hit the ground in the backstreet rather than a place that's busier thereby avoiding distress to others.

I've been to a few there. Tragic.