Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

I don't quite know why, but this topic gives me such a warm feeling of goodness in all the bad that's happening around us right now.

Followed by an image of children clawing in a pile of rubble. 

19 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Followed by an image of children clawing in a pile of rubble. 

They look happy.. that rubble has been replaced by tech toys

An age-by-age guide to kids and smartphones

• Like 1

Just now, davieG said:

They look happy.. that rubble has been replaced by tech toys

They do indeed don't they. 

It was simply an observation on the wider world and a metaphor I guess, given Parafox's post. 

• Like 1

May be an image of 7 people, people standing, road and text that says "3Y202 EXR EXR 705 TPH575"

Don't know when or which road some suggest Groby Road others the road to Bradgate Park.

Where you could see this scene in the 50s

May be a black-and-white image of outdoors and tree

and kids got into the park this way

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person, outdoors and tree

• Like 1

Jo Mungovin  ·
#OTD  9 March 1554 a Leicester man called Kettle was executed for treason against Queen Mary I. Kettle was involved in Wyatt’s Rebellion, which involved Sir Thomas Wyatt and Henry Grey, 1st Duke of Suffolk. The aim was to dethrone Mary and replace her with her half-sister Elizabeth.  
Henry Hastings, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon (acting as the Queen’s Witness), attended the trial at Leicester Spring Azzies and  Kettle was to be prosecuted by the Queen’s own Solicitor, the name sadly lost to history. The court sentenced Kettle to be hanged, drawn and quartered. The town accounts reveal how two men were stationed in the steeple of St Martin’s Church to announce the arrival of the Earl of Huntingdon. Leicester was heavily secured, the four gates strengthened and guards issued with armour. The gallows were erected at the High Cross, just outside the town walls. The accounts show that the undersheriff, a Mr Berridge, supervised the matter. He was paid 10s for ‘such things as was done about the execution of Kettle and setting up his head and quarters’. The quarters were set over each of the town gates, while Kettle’s head was probably fitted to the High Cross itself.

May be an image of monument and text that says "The High Cross + OriginalLocation ocation"

May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and monument

May be an image of outdoors

• Like 2

9 hours ago, davieG said:

Did you get your music from here

May be an image of text that says "AINLEYS for RECORDS CASSETTES and8TRACKCARTRIDGES and 8 TRACK CARTRIDGES"

Yes. Back in the day I was DJ at Grannies and also doing mobile gigs. They gave me 10% discount on whatever I bought. They also registered me with a number of record labels from whom I would receive promo discs every month, some of which went on to become well known at the time.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/new-farm-shop-distillery-wedding-6766534

New farm shop, distillery, wedding venue and more being created just outside of Leicester

A number of exciting additions are being made to Stoughton Grange rural centre.

A farm shop, gin distillery and woodland wedding venue are being created at the picturesque setting near Oadby, just a stone's throw from the city.

Aand farm animals are being re-introduced to the site, which was once home to a farm park.

On 11/03/2022 at 11:18, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/new-farm-shop-distillery-wedding-6766534

New farm shop, distillery, wedding venue and more being created just outside of Leicester

A number of exciting additions are being made to Stoughton Grange rural centre.

A farm shop, gin distillery and woodland wedding venue are being created at the picturesque setting near Oadby, just a stone's throw from the city.

Aand farm animals are being re-introduced to the site, which was once home to a farm park.

IIRC it closed due to foot and mouth disease. We took our kids when they were little. It was a really nice place to visit for a couple of hours and children could watch cows being milked and stroke and touch lambs etc. Chickens roaming free in the grounds. It was really pleasant and inexpensive.

I hope it is resurgent in that regard. 

• Like 1

May be an image of 5 people and outdoors

Leicester Civic Society

On this day, 16 March 1868, the corner stone of the Memorial Clock Tower was laid by Mr John Burton of Burton & Sons photographers, Haymarket, Leicester. (The firm Burton & Sons was patronised by Queen Victoria and other members of the Royal Family).

After adjusting the stone, Mr Burton said - “I am sure it must be a source of very great satisfaction to all of us to see this structure rising so beautifully before us. It is a monument which I believe will be a thing of beauty and prove a joy for ever to thousands and thousands yet unborn”. (cheers from the crowd).

Mr Burton continued - “From the commencement of the removal of the block of buildings considerably, more than £1,200 has been subscribed voluntarily by the inhabitants of Leicester towards the public object. It is my belief the monument will be admired by all who visit the town. May all those who have contributed to this project live long enough to see it completed and enjoy the fruits of their labours. In the name of the four-hundred subscribers, I pronounce the cornerstone of this Haymarket memorial structure to be well and truly laid”.
The gentlemen present at the ceremony laid money on the cornerstone to enable the workmen to drink success for the structure, health and happiness of the subscribers.

• Like 2

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

A busy Humberstone Gate/Fox Lane corner in 1992

Never understood why they couldn't have turned Lewis's into some sort of Mall/Indoor Shopping Centre, I wonder what happened to all those stone blocks?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, davieG said:

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

A busy Humberstone Gate/Fox Lane corner in 1992

Never understood why they couldn't have turned Lewis's into some sort of Mall/Indoor Shopping Centre, I wonder what happened to all those stone blocks?

Christ, remember Fox cubs lol