Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

57 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I love these pics of the old St Margaret's, which I just about remember from my childhood. Just looking at them brings a whiff of stale urine to my nose. A lost world :(

5 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

Surprised you could smell the urine with the amount of ciggies on the go in that picture 😮💨. Definitely a different world back than. 

Used to sneak onto one of the buses after shut down, especially during the winter months with the latest girlfriend for a kiss and attempt at first base. wub.png.f6a49e8eb4abff4235624ac444f6b623.png:ph34r::blush: not that it was ever successful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davieG said:

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and indoor

St Margaret's Bus Station.

The memories these old pics trigger are great.

Those concrete shelters had frosted glass and because our bus actually stopped on the road at rear of one of those shelters, I was often tasked with keeping an eye out for it arriving on the adjacent Burleys Way. We would then make a quick dash to the stop before it pulled away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

Trying to place this,is it the junction with Hinckley Road

Yes I believe so. I thought it was the ones that used to be in Infirmary Square but I was wrong as the caption states "Narborough Road bogs"

278996047_3143968415846338_2164725176464305968_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=J8FoGaMRL0YAX-6Hidr&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT98K7hMaG08WJVeAhpz--Fxuzrk2cZrwJDwd6Bc27LhiQ&oe=627C6B75

279531873_3143970542512792_8562770990355177021_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=jqbWLPApah8AX9W_xnO&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT9AglTyzBax04vUB8TW1FaUbNUDMqmQlureQIGx87eSuA&oe=627B9EEE

279156961_3143971075846072_8972942991115429373_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x395&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=bz6_kj6DqoIAX9KrDwK&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-QpFRyixzjempLOHHGKjlT7ECZ1lOo8yhoKAgW8zT5_Q&oe=627AB7C2

On this day - on 7 May 1857, the first direct train left Leicester Campbell Street station for London Kings Cross. All that is left of this station are the two pillars in Station Street.

Graham Sharp

The Midland Railway ran to Hitchin where passengers had to get off and buy another ticket to King's Cross on a competitive railway. The uncooperative east coast company created delays which led to Midland extending from Bedford via Luton and building St Pancras. The Midland Railway Chairman at this time was William Evans Hutchinson of Oadby.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-61381136

A council engineer who named a city road after Wembley Stadium is to unveil a new sign to honour his team's FA Cup win - 52 years later.

David Edwards, 89, worked for Leicester's city engineers department when he suggested they name a new road "Wembley Road" in the hope it would bring luck to the city's football team.

The Foxes lost their 1969 showdown against Manchester City.

But they finally won the competition in 2021, beating Chelsea 1-0.

Mr Edwards said he had been responsible for the design, construction and naming of several roads on a new industrial estate at Braunstone Frith in 1969.

"I immediately thought of 'Wembley Road', as the whole city was buzzing with excitement about a trip to Wembley - and no one was talking about anything else," he said.

"Unfortunately, as everyone knows, we lost that game in 1969."

The road was named by Mr Edwards prior to the Foxes' 1969 cup final appearance

However, Mr Edwards wrote to the city mayor, Sir Peter Soulsby, last year following Leicester City's FA Cup win.

"I [asked] if the street signs could be adapted to commemorate the victory, as the traditional open-top bus tour with the cup wasn't going to be possible because of Covid restrictions," he said.

"To my delight, he agreed."

Now, the original Wembley Road signs are being replaced with new signs that celebrate the Foxes' achievement.

Mr Edwards will join Leicester City club ambassador Alan Birchenall to unveil them.

Mr Soulsby said: "When David contacted us, our highways team got to work straight away.

"The new signs will make sure that everyone driving down Wembley Road will be reminded of that magic day in 2021 when Leicester won the cup."

Mr Birchenall said: "Winning the FA Cup was fantastic for the club and the fans - and it captured the imagination of the whole city.

"We're delighted the club's FA Cup success will be remembered forever on these new street signs."

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

May be an image of road

An interesting photo way back from 1968.
It’s a look at the corner of Dysart Way and Cobden Street. This view is unrecognisable today as it has become part of the large junction on to Humberstone Road.