Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

May be an image of 5 people, monument and outdoors

Born and Raised in Leicester
  · 
OFF TO WAR: 
Leicestershire troops bound for France, marching up Newarke Street to the railway station in late 1914

52 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I worked (and sort of continue to work) for Gent…. Very sadly they closed down the factory last year…. They’d been manufacturing in Leicester for 150+ years…. Left a great legacy of clocks found in train stations all over the world 

There is a great little display at the poo museum (next to space centre), just as you enter on the right 

They are now a massive global brand in fire alarms…. Doing some quite complex stuff…. The brand lives on, but, it’s a shame we don’t still make stuff here in Leicester 

image.thumb.jpeg.8a9389daf90fc5e7910c056e9c692902.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

I worked (and sort of continue to work) for Gent…. Very sadly they closed down the factory last year…. They’d been manufacturing in Leicester for 150+ years…. Left a great legacy of clocks found in train stations all over the world 

There is a great little display at the poo museum (next to space centre), just as you enter on the right 

They are now a massive global brand in fire alarms…. Doing some quite complex stuff…. The brand lives on, but, it’s a shame we don’t still make stuff here in Leicester 

Honeywell?

I bought a Gents clock last year, it's not the most ornate clock in the world but owning something built a few miles away is a nice memento of Leicester once being a powerhouse.

39 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Honeywell?

I bought a Gents clock last year, it's not the most ornate clock in the world but owning something built a few miles away is a nice memento of Leicester once being a powerhouse.

Yeah…. That’s it

i would love a Gent clock!  One old boy who’d been there for 50 odd years fixed and electronic Smiths clock I had…. He actually worked on clock lines back in the day

Lots of master slave systems…. Keeping time synchronised around hospitals/ train stations and offices…. Class change for schools…. Many still live on and are used

it was a small jump from bells to fire alarm systems and when quartz happened the clock part of the business died overnight…

They now develop class leading fire sensors and systems…

i design, develop and patent commercial fire alarm systems for Honeywell…. And we are testing the worlds first self testing fire alarm sensors… we have big R&D labs and many gifted engineers up in Carlton Park near Fosse Park…

So at least we design and develop even if we don’t manufacture 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Yeah…. That’s it

i would love a Gent clock!  One old boy who’d been there for 50 odd years fixed and electronic Smiths clock I had…. He actually worked on clock lines back in the day

Lots of master slave systems…. Keeping time synchronised around hospitals/ train stations and offices…. Class change for schools…. Many still live on and are used

it was a small jump from bells to fire alarm systems and when quartz happened the clock part of the business died overnight…

i design, develop and patent commercial fire alarm systems for Honeywell…. And we are testing the worlds first self testing fire alarm sensors… we have big R&D labs and many gifted engineers up in Carlton Park near Fosse Park…

I worked there for a number of years at the St Saviours and Hamilton. I've got this book on the history written by my first boss.

Book.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Yeah…. That’s it

It was about £70 iirc.

There's a few on Ebay for reasonable prices

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, davieG said:

I worked there for a number of years at the St Saviours and Hamilton. I've got this book on the history written by my first boss.

Book.jpg

They gave me the exact same book when I started in 2013…. We probably know some of the same people…. There are/ were lots of long serving people there…. They had a quarter century club too who meet for dinner occasionally 

its not the same as it was even in the short time I’ve been there…. We’ve been consumed by the global Honeywell beast to a degree…

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

They had a quarter century club too who meet for dinner occasionally 

I'm a member but I haven't been to the dinners for about 5 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, davieG said:

May be an image of 3 people, outdoors and text that says "HISTORY LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY Discovering Roman Leicestershire & Rutland The New Archaeological Evidence An illustrated talk by Peter Liddle, retired County Archaeologist, and now freelance lecturer, writer and TV personality Wednesday 8th June 2022 at .30pm Venue: Stoneygate Baptist Church, London Road, Leicester LE2 3ND (opposite the Regency Hotel) Refreshments from 7pm and CD/book stall Free to members, non-members small donation (£2) is appreciated Any queries to leicester@lrfhs.org.uk"

If you’re interested in local archeology, this talk might appeal.....Non members very welcome. Email [email protected] to reserve a place.

I know Peter…. Our sons were in the same football team…. He’s a great guy…. Loved chatting history on sideline with him!

May well turn up!

EDIT…. Spoke to my mate and we are going…. Will give you a wave!

Also booked to see Michael Wood give a talk about Aethelfled 

Edited by Wolfox