Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

ON THIS DAY: 9th July 1553 
Lady Jane Grey, the great-granddaughter of Henry VII, inherited the crown from her cousin Edward VI. Jane was queen for just nine days, as part of an unsuccessful bid to prevent the accession of the Catholic Mary Tudor.  She arrived at the Tower of London to prepare for her coronation, but within a fortnight she was back as a prisoner of her Catholic cousin, Mary I who had claimed the throne as rightfully hers. While Mary was reluctant to punish her at first, Lady Jane proved too much of a threat as the focus of Protestant plotters intent on replacing Mary. On 12 February 1554 Jane was executed on Tower Green. and was just 17 years old. 
Jane was born at Bradgate House on the 12th October 1537, and although the Tudor red brick Leicestershire property is a ruin, it and the beautiful Bradgate Park are visited by large numbers of tourists.

291535946_10160235433186796_8066027030524828451_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p417x417&_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=RHbihufARhAAX8ds-D4&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-oewbJCHtFwQZ5GlSyqumO4ULQCRo-3zw9iOBvTrs27Q&oe=62CF1F43

293028392_10160235432921796_1463475254379018053_n.jpg?stp=cp1_dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=yUO0IRuQraQAX_n-Gzm&tn=4qxk_Sb8epDL33-E&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT8gFHUl4uhy8-U-7kzboYPtTyWQVE17EZiq62mmwOmwpA&oe=62CDDB6C

292246912_10160235433216796_3326498575939145963_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p403x403&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=FDM09AdEpvEAX98AIBb&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-8-oWbPyV9udslsLVUSQZkkRQTj5l_QTuMfJ55KK8KZQ&oe=62CEDB09

The visible remains are later than Jane's times; the remains of the house she knew were discovered beneath these ruins by the University of Leicester archaeologists a few years ago. The visible ruins are of an Elizabethan / Jacobean house built at the turn of the C16th / 17th.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

ON THIS DAY: 9th July 1553 
Lady Jane Grey, the great-granddaughter of Henry VII, inherited the crown from her cousin Edward VI. Jane was queen for just nine days, as part of an unsuccessful bid to prevent the accession of the Catholic Mary Tudor.  She arrived at the Tower of London to prepare for her coronation, but within a fortnight she was back as a prisoner of her Catholic cousin, Mary I who had claimed the throne as rightfully hers. While Mary was reluctant to punish her at first, Lady Jane proved too much of a threat as the focus of Protestant plotters intent on replacing Mary. On 12 February 1554 Jane was executed on Tower Green. and was just 17 years old. 
Jane was born at Bradgate House on the 12th October 1537, and although the Tudor red brick Leicestershire property is a ruin, it and the beautiful Bradgate Park are visited by large numbers of tourists.

291535946_10160235433186796_8066027030524828451_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p417x417&_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=RHbihufARhAAX8ds-D4&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-oewbJCHtFwQZ5GlSyqumO4ULQCRo-3zw9iOBvTrs27Q&oe=62CF1F43

293028392_10160235432921796_1463475254379018053_n.jpg?stp=cp1_dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=yUO0IRuQraQAX_n-Gzm&tn=4qxk_Sb8epDL33-E&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT8gFHUl4uhy8-U-7kzboYPtTyWQVE17EZiq62mmwOmwpA&oe=62CDDB6C

292246912_10160235433216796_3326498575939145963_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p403x403&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=FDM09AdEpvEAX98AIBb&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-8-oWbPyV9udslsLVUSQZkkRQTj5l_QTuMfJ55KK8KZQ&oe=62CEDB09

The visible remains are later than Jane's times; the remains of the house she knew were discovered beneath these ruins by the University of Leicester archaeologists a few years ago. The visible ruins are of an Elizabethan / Jacobean house built at the turn of the C16th / 17th.

Thanks for this. For any interested  the film Lady Jane with Helena Bonham Carter is worth a watch 

• Like 1

A friend that is moving house found a print of the City of Leicester and offered it to me, to which I of course said 'yes please'. I can try and reproduce it here if it would be of interest - I tend to struggle with phone files being too big to upload, so any tips on that front would be much appreciated.

If you have a Facebook page you could try posting it in one of these as I'm sure they'd be interested and then post the link in here.

Made in Leicester / History of Leicestershire in images / Born and Raised in Leicester

Not sure how to post proper links to those.

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

A friend that is moving house found a print of the City of Leicester and offered it to me, to which I of course said 'yes please'. I can try and reproduce it here if it would be of interest - I tend to struggle with phone files being too big to upload, so any tips on that front would be much appreciated.

Do you use WhatsApp?

If so, send them to a friend/family member. If they then send it back to you to upload here, the image file size will be reduced.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I use the Imgur app as an image host…. Very simple to use and simply copy the link across and it displays as an image 

Edited by Wolfox
  • Thanks 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/iconic-spitfire-arrives-leicester-two-7337257

Iconic Spitfire arrives in Leicester for two-day stay - where and when you can see it

The Spitfire will be on display in Leicester's Jubilee Square

A piece of British history will be on display in Leicester this weekend in the form of a rare Second World War Spitfire. Members of the public will be able to examine the iconic aircraft and learn the history of its development and its role in the conflict.

The rare blue reconnaissance Spitfire PR XIX is from the RAF Museum Midlands, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary by taking it on a tour across the country. It will be on display in Jubilee Square, in the city centre, on Saturday and Sunday.

The museum told LeicestershireLive people will be able to get up close to the aircraft and try on some of the real RAF uniforms, flying jackets and hats. A replica cockpit section will also be alongside the aircraft, allowing visitors to climb inside for an 'authentic Spitfire experience'.

The aircraft has already visited Birmingham, Coventry, Shrewsbury, and Telford, highlighting and celebrating the area’s rich RAF heritage.

The RAF Museum team of technicians and apprentices will be arriving in the city this evening to get everything in place before the exhibition opens to the public at 10am tomorrow. The event will be open until 4pm each day.

Barry Smith, from the RAF Museum, said: "This year the RAF Museum Midlands is celebrating 50 years of sharing RAF stories, and what better way to celebrate this than to take one of our most iconic aircraft out on tour. The RAF has a long history in the Midlands, and we’re excited to share these stories within the community, and with new audiences who may not have visited the museum before.

"The Midlands is steeped in RAF history. During the Second World War it was home to the largest Spitfire factory in the UK.

"RAF Castle Bromwich in Birmingham produced 11,939 Spitfires by 1945, more than half of the 20,000 produced across the UK. Thousands of people from across the Midlands have a connection with the RAF story, from the many men and women who served in the RAF, to members of the public who came together and supported the war efforts through Spitfire Funds."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/iconic-spitfire-arrives-leicester-two-7337257

Iconic Spitfire arrives in Leicester for two-day stay - where and when you can see it

The Spitfire will be on display in Leicester's Jubilee Square

A piece of British history will be on display in Leicester this weekend in the form of a rare Second World War Spitfire. Members of the public will be able to examine the iconic aircraft and learn the history of its development and its role in the conflict.

The rare blue reconnaissance Spitfire PR XIX is from the RAF Museum Midlands, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary by taking it on a tour across the country. It will be on display in Jubilee Square, in the city centre, on Saturday and Sunday.

The museum told LeicestershireLive people will be able to get up close to the aircraft and try on some of the real RAF uniforms, flying jackets and hats. A replica cockpit section will also be alongside the aircraft, allowing visitors to climb inside for an 'authentic Spitfire experience'.

The aircraft has already visited Birmingham, Coventry, Shrewsbury, and Telford, highlighting and celebrating the area’s rich RAF heritage.

The RAF Museum team of technicians and apprentices will be arriving in the city this evening to get everything in place before the exhibition opens to the public at 10am tomorrow. The event will be open until 4pm each day.

Barry Smith, from the RAF Museum, said: "This year the RAF Museum Midlands is celebrating 50 years of sharing RAF stories, and what better way to celebrate this than to take one of our most iconic aircraft out on tour. The RAF has a long history in the Midlands, and we’re excited to share these stories within the community, and with new audiences who may not have visited the museum before.

"The Midlands is steeped in RAF history. During the Second World War it was home to the largest Spitfire factory in the UK.

"RAF Castle Bromwich in Birmingham produced 11,939 Spitfires by 1945, more than half of the 20,000 produced across the UK. Thousands of people from across the Midlands have a connection with the RAF story, from the many men and women who served in the RAF, to members of the public who came together and supported the war efforts through Spitfire Funds."

Had the pleasure to see the spitfire, hurricane and Lancaster fly over at the weekend at Woodhall Spa. 

A truly special sight. 

• Like 1

I'm not against Street art or this directly I just hate painted brick or concrete because it's inevitable it will fade and deteriorate and end up looking awful and no one will do anything about it.

I wished they'd put panels up  and paint them so that they can eventually be replaced when this street are goes out of fashion.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

I'm not against Street art or this directly I just hate painted brick or concrete because it's inevitable it will fade and deteriorate and end up looking awful and no one will do anything about it.

I wished they'd put panels up  and paint them so that they can eventually be replaced when this street are goes out of fashion.

Or join the modern world and go for a digital wall.

I wonder what SPS has offered the owners as a cash value to demolish it? Can guarantee he wants rid as well as the more hideous tower block behind it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

It should be torn down, anything like that only makes it harder for it to be torn down. The station tart up is superfluous when there's two awful towers next to it.

Everytime SPS buys a building and pulls it down he gets a bucket load of abuse.

The value of a building with a lease to Premier Inn would be £10+million so it's here to stay unfortunately.

Just now, kenny said:

Everytime SPS buys a building and pulls it down he gets a bucket load of abuse.

The value of a building with a lease to Premier Inn would be £10+million so it's here to stay unfortunately.

The council pretty much only CPO vacant or under-utilised buildings, I don't think they'd have the clout to buy St George's tower - you're right, it's not coming down for along time. Tactical structural fault needed.

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The council pretty much only CPO vacant or under-utilised buildings, I don't think they'd have the clout to buy St George's tower - you're right, it's not coming down for along time. Tactical structural fault needed.

They could make a case but the cost would be large. That being said, I am confident that they would do it if it was in the best interest of the city.

The work done at the waterside including the CPOs has done wonders.