Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

15 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

This want's remaking about modern student and other large buildings

• Like 1

297106688_5753783521333259_2226957157467

Story of Leicester

· 

With the street improvement works underway, here's a timely look back at Braunstone Gate in the early 1980s.

It looks pretty similar with a familiar mix of independent small businesses

6 hours ago, davieG said:

This want's remaking about modern student and other large buildings

TBF they are an improvement on the existing buildings. It's not like they are proposing to destroy anything attractive or interesting, for a change.

Edited by Parafox

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

TBF they are an improvement on the existing buildings. It's not like they are proposing to destroy anything attractive or interesting, for a change.

Quite but why do they all have the same appearance, the new Leicester Uni  and Brooklyn Hotel just rectangular blocks of brick.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

Quite but why do they all have the same appearance, the new Leicester Uni  and Brooklyn Hotel just rectangular blocks of brick.

This is true and there seems to be a very limited vision for constructing buildings. whether it's to do with cost and materials, I don't know. I imagine DMU and LU will want what they can get on a budget. It seems they aren't paying for imaginative architects to produce something aesthetically pleasing. Something that, in generations to come, people posting on FT in the year 2122 will be saying "I really love that old building".

I guess some of the hideous constructions we see today will become the listed buildings of the future. :dunno:

Edited by Parafox

41 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Will be a great day for the city when the Lee Circle car park block gets knocked down into something decent..

The ugliest side in Leicester, personally.

Agreed. The whole Belgrave Gate/Belgrave Road side of the city is a mess. I hope if there are to be any improvements, they won't be more concrete eyesores for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Will be a great day for the city when the Lee Circle car park block gets knocked down into something decent..

The ugliest side in Leicester, personally.

Well if it had been maintained properly and the old shack like factories had been cleared so that the shops and facilities, like the 36 lane Bowling Alley in the ground floor had flourished it would look ok

Lack of maintenance and allowing building to disintegrate is how builders get away with righting off good quality builds and replacing them with stuff that's designed to last no more than 30 years like the old Council Offices.

• Like 1

297391557_131145902957676_59654250108129

This appeared, uncredited, in the Manchester modernist society.

On Charles Street

Has been the Electricity Showrooms, Road Tax office, Willie Thorne Snooker upstairs Now the LCC Offices

• Like 2

On 03/08/2022 at 11:47, Wymsey said:

Just read the article which I haven't seen before because I am not a local. The new buildings are definitely an improvement on the existing delapidated structures and it is the right sort of scale but the local built environment is highly sensitive. Considering that it is right next to the Jewry Wall museum something a bit more architecturally distinctive would be a big step forward. Not another lego box.

18 hours ago, Parafox said:

Agreed. The whole Belgrave Gate/Belgrave Road side of the city is a mess. I hope if there are to be any improvements, they won't be more concrete eyesores for the future.

Charles Street is ****ing dirt too. Needs bulldozing.

Mervin Wallace  · 
ON THIS DAY: 4th August 1265
Simon de Montfort, The 6th Earl of Leicester born in Normandy around 1208, was killed during The Battle of Evesham (Worcestershire), in which the army of Prince Edward, the future king Edward I of England, defeated the forces of rebellious barons led by Simon de Montfort. In 1965 the British Post Office issued two special stamps to commemorate the 700th Anniversary Parliament of 1265. This is regarded as marking the first step towards the foundation of the modern House of Commons and the democratic government of today.
He is represented in the stonework figures in Leicester’s Clock Tower.

297600950_10160275460866796_678758130817

297458859_10160275460881796_294834349035

297418955_10160275460951796_832960495231

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

May be an image of 4 people

Leicester, the corner of Checketts Road & Loughborough Road. The Champion Hotel is on the right. 1910

Now Club Tropicana, I believe. I DJ'd there for a while years ago. It was supposed to be members only but there was always a "lock-in" for the locals.