Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

295541312_5312738478807893_6266409492814

Born and Raised in Leicester

· 

Hi

Rowbothams was a child's dream. If I was good whilst shopping with my mum and dad in the 60's I was allowed to go and see the toys when we had finished.

There were rows and rows of dolls house furniture all made of wood not plastic, I still have the dolls house in the loft which was bought for me in 1963 from there. Christmas was magical.

It was a department store but to be honest I cannot remember any of the other departments. I think it closed in the 70's.

It was situated at the top of Belvoir Str

Kind regards Rita x

• Like 1

May be an image of text

History of Leicestershire in Images
Steve Matthews  · 

Who remembers this. Always to be found at your local corner shop at the very bottom of the freezer. Are they still around ?

• Like 1

297759777_2546414185490167_5643511183454

Jan Smith  · 

Quorn,  Wrights factory in the background (I think they made webbing for military uniforms) in the foreground it is now a memorial area. C1900

18 minutes ago, davieG said:

May be an image of text

Steve Matthews  · 

Who remembers this. Always to be found at your local corner shop at the very bottom of the freezer. Are they still around ?

Last time I recall having one of those was in the summer of 76. It was frozen and you would tear or cut a corner off and suck and slurp at it as it melted.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, davieG said:

May be an image of text

Steve Matthews  · 

Yes, still around, my lad gets through about 10 a week. Come inboxes of 8 , available from Tesco, Iceland , now also have cola & strawberry as well as orange.

11 hours ago, davieG said:

297759777_2546414185490167_5643511183454

Jan Smith  · 

Quorn,  Wrights factory in the background (I think they made webbing for military uniforms) in the foreground it is now a memorial area. C1900

The factory's mill is now converted into lovely flat apartments.

• Like 1

295972163_5328374190577655_2716969989605

A Haunted History: The Talbot
The Talbot, located just three miles from Leicester city centre, is a public house with an exciting history.
Built in the early 1600s, The Talbot was named after a breed of dog that is now extinct. A Talbot hound was a snow-white hunting dog that was often used to deter highwaymen from attacking passing coaches.
Like many pubs in the region, The Talbot was originally a coaching inn that travellers would pass to reach the Toll Bridge into Leicester. The popular inn provided bed and board to those who travelled through Leicester along Loughborough Road.
Originally standing three storeys tall, the pub was reduced to two floors in the 1950s when a fire raged through the building. Despite the local authorities granting approval for major structural work, the top level could not be saved. The re-building work had been completed when Sid Addison became landlord in 1960. It was around this time that the inn ceased to provide lodgings and became solely a pub.
The Talbot has a vivid history and rumours abound that criminals on death row were taken to the pub before their execution to be supplied with their 'last meal'. These condemned criminals would have met their end either by hanging or by being burned at the stake.
Those who were hung for their crimes would have been taken to Red Hill gallows that was located just past the old Toll Bridge. Many innocent people accused of witchcraft and black magic were taken to Red Hill Island, not far from Belgrave, to meet a horrific end.
Some of the bodies would be returned to The Talbot to be examined in one of the outbuildings that, at that time, was used as a morgue. The bodies would be used for medical research before finally being laid to rest.
With such a chequered past, it is unsurprising that rumours of ghost sightings at The Talbot are rife. But is there any substance to the speculation?
All the content on this page was produced by Claire Davies, Bethan Lewis, Nick Allen Kevin Fowler and Philip Tweddle from the New Media Publishing PGDip course at De Montfort University in Leicester, and shared from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/…/haunted_leicester_talbot_history_fea…
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, davieG said:

295972163_5328374190577655_2716969989605

A Haunted History: The Talbot
The Talbot, located just three miles from Leicester city centre, is a public house with an exciting history.
Built in the early 1600s, The Talbot was named after a breed of dog that is now extinct. A Talbot hound was a snow-white hunting dog that was often used to deter highwaymen from attacking passing coaches.
Like many pubs in the region, The Talbot was originally a coaching inn that travellers would pass to reach the Toll Bridge into Leicester. The popular inn provided bed and board to those who travelled through Leicester along Loughborough Road.
Originally standing three storeys tall, the pub was reduced to two floors in the 1950s when a fire raged through the building. Despite the local authorities granting approval for major structural work, the top level could not be saved. The re-building work had been completed when Sid Addison became landlord in 1960. It was around this time that the inn ceased to provide lodgings and became solely a pub.
The Talbot has a vivid history and rumours abound that criminals on death row were taken to the pub before their execution to be supplied with their 'last meal'. These condemned criminals would have met their end either by hanging or by being burned at the stake.
Those who were hung for their crimes would have been taken to Red Hill gallows that was located just past the old Toll Bridge. Many innocent people accused of witchcraft and black magic were taken to Red Hill Island, not far from Belgrave, to meet a horrific end.
Some of the bodies would be returned to The Talbot to be examined in one of the outbuildings that, at that time, was used as a morgue. The bodies would be used for medical research before finally being laid to rest.
With such a chequered past, it is unsurprising that rumours of ghost sightings at The Talbot are rife. But is there any substance to the speculation?
All the content on this page was produced by Claire Davies, Bethan Lewis, Nick Allen Kevin Fowler and Philip Tweddle from the New Media Publishing PGDip course at De Montfort University in Leicester, and shared from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/…/haunted_leicester_talbot_history_fea…

We'd often go there as toddlers. They used to have a play area in the garden. 

2 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Has anybody any idea on the history of this building? Always fascinated by it as I drive through Frog Island…5C3D289C-2F4B-436E-B36A-FB520B07EA14.thumb.png.049f2612bb6f3f3cb0173d1572aac3bb.png

It was a shop called Richard Roberts 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/leicester-176-178-highcross-street-former-richard-roberts-shop-8-storey-block-of-36-apartments-pro.2118252/#post-151853400

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I do hope they keep that original roof and feature in the redevelopment (although the plans seem to say otherwise🤬)

299015870_5776537315724546_8797924291335

Story of Leicester

· 

An old photo of lower Church Gate, looking towards St. Margaret's Church, for you today. So much has changed since this photo was taken in 1969!

#StoryofLeicester #Leicester

This now the corner of Burleys Way and St Margarets Way.

This was how we used to go from town to get to Abbey Park

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, davieG said:

299015870_5776537315724546_8797924291335

Story of Leicester

· 

An old photo of lower Church Gate, looking towards St. Margaret's Church, for you today. So much has changed since this photo was taken in 1969!

#StoryofLeicester #Leicester

This now the corner of Burleys Way and St Margarets Way.

This was how we used to go from town to get to Abbey Park

79 bus. That was ours.:)

Caught it at St Margarets to go to Braunstone Frith.

The route was operated by both The Leicester Corparation (corpo) and Midland Red.

The Midland Red 'version' took a slightly different and longer route through New Parks. I remember it often used stop outside the Fire Station where the conductor got off to stamp a card. Presumably to show they were on time and stopping at appropriate stops.

My Mam sometimes asked the conductor if he had a spare roll of tickets for me.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

0_16202.jpg

The 1620s House and Garden at Donington le Heath

An historic Leicestershire attraction has been outed as one of the country's hidden gems as it has been named in the running for two awards after a glowing inspection report. The 1620s House and Garden at Donington le Heath, near Coalville, received its highest marks yet from Visit England.

The site, which is managed by Leicestershire County Council, was awarded an overall quality score of 91 per cent in this year’s inspection. The site was described as "stunning" by inspectors.

The historic manor house, at Donington le Heath, could now win recognition in the 'Welcome' and 'Hidden Gem' categories of the Visit England Awards later this year. The awards celebrate excellence in the visitor attraction sector and showcase attractions that go the extra mile to provide a high-quality day out.

The 1620s house, which was built in the 13th century and then modernised in 1618, has been home to many families over its 700 year history, but the Digby family, which included the Gunpowder Plotter Sir Everard Digby, lived in the house for more than 200 years. It is towards the end of the Digby ownership that the newly refurbished house is focused, showing how people lived in late Elizabethan and early Jacobean times.

Visitors can now see the restored period rooms and talk to volunteers about the history of the house, the families that lived there and about life in the 1620s. The house is set in 17th century-style gardens with labelled plants and flowers, an orchard, herb gardens and a small maze.

0_160201.jpg
The 1620s House and Garden at Donington le Heath
In the Visit England report, the inspector said: “A strength of this assessment visit was the quality of welcome and interpretation provided by the staff, in particular the reception staff, and garden volunteers.” It was also noted that the house and garden are maintained to the highest standard - with the appearance of the garden being described as “stunning”.

A perfect score was also achieved in the cleanliness section, with the inspector stating: “The entire attraction was presented to exceptional levels of cleanliness and remained so throughout the visit.”

The inspector’s report also praised the commitment to engagement with social media, the quality of welcome and interpretation provided by the staff, house and garden volunteers, and the impressive food range available at the Barn Café, describing the food quality and presentation as “excellent.”

Councillor Christine Radford, cabinet member for heritage, leisure and arts, said: “I am delighted that the hard work of the staff and volunteers at the 1620s House & Garden has been recognised yet again by such a prestigious visitor organisation as Visit England. Their dedication has shone through and continues to do so."

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/leicestershire-attraction-named-one-englands-7438937

299165146_1493462174437547_7009980933815

Wigston In Photos 1950-1990 added a new photo to the album Lost Wigston.
Magna Cinema
Long Street, Wigston 
"Demolition work begins"

• Like 2

14086223_1278571675510877_29174612579988

LEICESTER FACES: Joan Potter, nee Humphries,
Although I was born in Leicester, I was taken south when I was a year old and only arrived back here with my mother in 1940, aged 16, to escape the bombing in Paddington, London,
I had left school and got my first job as a shorthand typist at Stead and Simpson near the Clock Tower, on Belgrave Gate.
The photo shows six girls from the typing pool outside the Stead and Simpson main factory entrance – unfortunately long since pulled down.”
The beautiful Victorian city has changed a lot since those days - and not necessarily for the better. The present Market Place is not a patch on the one I remember from my youth. All the old cinemas have gone from the centre.
We had no TV in the good old days, so you couldn't beat a night out at the pictures with a boyfriend, an ice cream and a bag of sweets!
We didn't have much money but what we did have went a long way.
Now I have to stay at home and watch TV because I can't afford the theatre. Never mind: there's always good old Corrie and The Chase.”
In the photo, the typist gang were obviously having an evening out and we all looked very happy about it!
From the left: myself - Joan HUMPHRIES, sisters Vera and Mary (deceased) DENTENEER, Elsie ROE, Jean ? and someone whose name I forget, but recall she had “beautiful red hair.
From Facebook page - Mr Leicester: Leicestershire's local history and nostalgia page.

More of the same brick, have architects got a joint job lot.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/student-accommodation-block-spring-up-7465028

Student accommodation block to spring up in Waterside regeneration area of Leicester

The 'car-free' development will sit a stone's throw from Highross Shopping Centre

1_highx-NW-ARCHITECTSPNG.png

The island on which the block (pictured) will be built sits in the middle of Highcross Street, Great Central Street and All Saints Open, near the Highcross shopping centre.

An eight-storey block of student flats is set to be built in Leicester's Waterside regeneration area. Leicester City Council has conditionally approved the plans which were submitted in April 2021.

The block of flats, consisting of 205 bedrooms, will sit on a traffic island a stone's throw from Highcross Shopping Centre in the city centre. Developer Urbanite Ltd said in the plans that the scheme would "complement the changing nature of the wider Waterside area".

Woodgate Residents Association objected to the plans last year citing, among other things, concerns around the number of high rise buildings in the area. But the now-approved plans promise to be of economic benefit to the area, generating student footfall and jobs.

The block of flats will also be a 'car-free' development, which means it will not include car-parking but is located within walking distance of local shops close to both universities in the city. A total of 134 cycle parking spaces will be provided, which will have to be retained as part of the council's conditions.

0_proposed-new-flats-sitePNG.png

The island sits in the middle of Highcross Street, to the right of the island in the picture, Great Central Street, to the left, and All Saints Open, near the Highcross shopping centre. (Image: Google)
The site, between Highcross Street and Great Central Street, also sits in the All Saints Conservation Area and the application had pointed out the neighbourhood was "blighted" by the plot's vacant state. The plans said the scheme was an "opportunity to remove this eye sore, and deliver a scheme and a use which will positively contribute to and will be more compatible and complementary to, the wider regeneration objectives of the surrounding area, as well as the surrounding heritage assets."

As well as flats, the block will include a gym, cinema and cycle storage area once completed, according to the plans.

The site is not the only one being developed for student homes in the area. Plans for another student accommodation scheme were approved earlier this month, nearby in St Nicholas Circle.

Deliver a scheme and a use which will positively contribute to and will be more compatible and complementary to, the wider regeneration objectives of the surrounding area, as well as the surrounding heritage assets."

How?