Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

10 hours ago, davieG said:

One of those very rare occasions where the current scene is better than the yesteryear one, though the loss of some of the buildings on the right is unfortunate.

20230217_183902.jpg

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

One of those very rare occasions where the current scene is better than the yesteryear one, though the loss of some of the buildings on the right is unfortunate.

20230217_183902.jpg

What I can't understand with the centre of the city, is how many people spit out chewing gum onto the pavement?

There's discarded gum in every square meter all across the town centre.

• Like 2

May be an image of 1 person, train, railway and text that says "LRS 42331 2160"

The last train on the Leicester to Rugby branch hauled by Fowler 4MT 2-6-4T 423
31 at Countesthorpe Station on 31st December 1961. Opened on July 1st 1840 as part of the Midland Counties Railway the branch had stations at South Wigston, Countesthorpe, Broughton Astley and Ullesthorpe. Photo John F Clay.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How useful would that line be today even if it was just for trams
  • Like 2

May be a black-and-white image of outdoors

Victorian buildings being demolished in New Walk, Leicester, to make way for an office block, in 1969

Tom Logue

In the 1950s the Planners of Leicester City Council produced a plan for an Inner Ring road to cut across New Walk at the point next to Holy Cross Church. Having publicised it and compulsorily purchased what were then viable solidly-built well-maintained family houses in the affected zone (some examples of which are extant next to the Waterloo Way footbridge) the former owners moved out leaving them empty awaiting demolition but the Council then had second thoughts due to strong Public objections and suspended the whole plan whilst it was reassessed. The now-empty houses were left to their own devices and quickly a combination of neglect, metal theft, vandalism and use by homeless people to doss in (which lead to several houses having fires of varying degrees as the floorboards were burnt by these homeless) made them become derelict. After several years the route of the Ring road was moved by the Planners to where Waterloo Way is now (leading to the destruction of the homes, workshops, shops, cafe and the Admiral Beatty pub along Waterloo Street, Hastings Street and Lower Hastings Street) so the now unwanted and now derelict houses in the original route zone were sold off by the Council to the highest bidders who quickly demolished them. That horrible grey concrete "egg box" office block was built next to Holy Cross Church (and closer to the tree line than the demolished houses were which is why that part of New Walk is darker than the rest of the houses along that side) whilst the purchaser on the opposite side of New Walk (which this photo shows) saved some of the original frontage which could be salvaged then, in an admirable act of Civic Responsibility, built the rest of the frontage of the office block which was then built in that location in the same frontage style as the demolished houses which had stood there.
  • Like 2

331775622_890561348821193_50292998370936

The top of Church Gate pre-1885, before the East Gates Coffee House was built on the corner.

The "Haymarket Memorial Clock Tower", as it was known then, was built in 1868. It was intended as a solution to traffic congestion on the site of the town´s former hay and straw market, where horse drawn vehicles all converged on the area from six streets, causing chaos. It was the first traffic island in the Kingdom.

Image from the Leicester & Leicestershire Record Office.

View more historic Clock Tower photos on our website: https://storyofleicester.info/civic-affairs/the-clock-tower/ 

May be an image of 12 people and outdoors
  • Like 1

332119875_901594847797610_51925828198262

332112818_1118205076244367_8669511418962

332122524_3370459679874592_4725699412770

New images have been shared showing how the train station will look following a proposed multi-million-pound transformation.
Leicester City Council is planning to restore the station building back to its Victorian glory, relocating its main entrance so that it opens onto Station Street and directly faces the city centre.
With taxis being moved to a new purpose built looped taxi rank, it will open up the current taxi space as a new plaza for cafes, bars or retail. However the proposed plans do require the demolition of The Parcel Yard and next door taxi office.
The city council has already successfully secured £17.6million from the Government’s Levelling Up Fund to help realise the ambitious plans. Planning and listed building consent will be required before work can start on site, but if given the go-ahead, work is expected to start later this year.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

332119875_901594847797610_51925828198262

332112818_1118205076244367_8669511418962

332122524_3370459679874592_4725699412770

New images have been shared showing how the train station will look following a proposed multi-million-pound transformation.
Leicester City Council is planning to restore the station building back to its Victorian glory, relocating its main entrance so that it opens onto Station Street and directly faces the city centre.
With taxis being moved to a new purpose built looped taxi rank, it will open up the current taxi space as a new plaza for cafes, bars or retail. However the proposed plans do require the demolition of The Parcel Yard and next door taxi office.
The city council has already successfully secured £17.6million from the Government’s Levelling Up Fund to help realise the ambitious plans. Planning and listed building consent will be required before work can start on site, but if given the go-ahead, work is expected to start later this year.

Now, THAT is something I can get on board with.

I hope it gets the approval.

• Like 3

Not a fan overall. Looks nice on a sunny day. Exposes unseen facade which is pleasant. Would this mean all taxis/transport are to be moved outside, I would argue that’s a huge benefit. I just worry about potential wind tunnel, the greenery needs to be kept to a very high standard. The glass roof is daft, considering pigeons and their toilet needs. I hope they also finally get the station clocks , that were made from the Leicester clockmakers. Can’t remember the brand, but look across the dcountry and a lot of stations have this old brand, with the words Leicester, indicating them being made here. Awful that we don’t have one. I know the Leicester civic society are trying to sound it out currently.

Nonetheless, until connections improve, work is only welcomed so much! For a city that built and still is built on its location, this is a shambles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

Not a fan overall. Looks nice on a sunny day. Exposes unseen facade which is pleasant. Would this mean all taxis/transport are to be moved outside, I would argue that’s a huge benefit. I just worry about potential wind tunnel, the greenery needs to be kept to a very high standard. The glass roof is daft, considering pigeons and their toilet needs. I hope they also finally get the station clocks , that were made from the Leicester clockmakers. Can’t remember the brand, but look across the dcountry and a lot of stations have this old brand, with the words Leicester, indicating them being made here. Awful that we don’t have one. I know the Leicester civic society are trying to sound it out currently.

Nonetheless, until connections improve, work is only welcomed so much! For a city that built and still is built on its location, this is a shambles.

Gents 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, davieG said:

May be a black-and-white image of outdoors

Victorian buildings being demolished in New Walk, Leicester, to make way for an office block, in 1969

Tom Logue

In the 1950s the Planners of Leicester City Council produced a plan for an Inner Ring road to cut across New Walk at the point next to Holy Cross Church. Having publicised it and compulsorily purchased what were then viable solidly-built well-maintained family houses in the affected zone (some examples of which are extant next to the Waterloo Way footbridge) the former owners moved out leaving them empty awaiting demolition but the Council then had second thoughts due to strong Public objections and suspended the whole plan whilst it was reassessed. The now-empty houses were left to their own devices and quickly a combination of neglect, metal theft, vandalism and use by homeless people to doss in (which lead to several houses having fires of varying degrees as the floorboards were burnt by these homeless) made them become derelict. After several years the route of the Ring road was moved by the Planners to where Waterloo Way is now (leading to the destruction of the homes, workshops, shops, cafe and the Admiral Beatty pub along Waterloo Street, Hastings Street and Lower Hastings Street) so the now unwanted and now derelict houses in the original route zone were sold off by the Council to the highest bidders who quickly demolished them. That horrible grey concrete "egg box" office block was built next to Holy Cross Church (and closer to the tree line than the demolished houses were which is why that part of New Walk is darker than the rest of the houses along that side) whilst the purchaser on the opposite side of New Walk (which this photo shows) saved some of the original frontage which could be salvaged then, in an admirable act of Civic Responsibility, built the rest of the frontage of the office block which was then built in that location in the same frontage style as the demolished houses which had stood there.

As a non Leicester resident I am grateful that more damage was not done to New Walk. It is a wonderful oasis in the heart of the city

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

the walk into the town centre down Granby Street will still be shithouse and will be even more of a clash with a nice train station

I don't know if it's just me but Granby Street looks a little bit nicer every time I walk down it? There really aren't many walks out of stations in major UK cities where you're greeted with a great view/nice architecture on your doorstep or the first five minutes of your journey on foot (Liverpool Lime Street probably one of the exceptions).

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

The clocks were made by Gents of Leicester