Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I agree with the above but the public have to be a bit more savvy about things. Not be so spun by what media say when it comes to things like this. Make sense of things yourself and don't let someone who's job it is to spin things get the better of you. 

It's a driver shortage and not a fuel shortage. If everyone was calm and just got the fuel they needed, there'd be enough to go round and therefore not cause for panic and then the knock on effect of all the traffic and queues seen yesterday. No one really cares about anyone but themselves any more. Sad state of society and the culture we live in these days. 

Can't say that I disagree with the general sentiment of the post but I'm not sure the bolded is true. I really don't think humanity is more self interested than it has been in the past (hell, most often those folks who shook the world and destroyed the lives of others for their own ends were lauded as "conquerors" and "heroes" back when), just that we hear about it more now.

Either way though, it's a sentiment mankind needs to disabuse itself of and quickly, if evolutionary history is any judge at all.

Edited by leicsmac

Govt are way more clever than we realise

They’ve  created a fuel shortage from nothing

the people WFH can reschedule the time in their day to sit in queues to fill up the tanks they don’t need to fill up

the people working out and about can’t 

hence we’ll soon be in a de facto lockdown! 

(that was a joke btw)

anyone have any solutions?

I would insist that min delivery charge is £45

hence anyone filling up would actually need to fill up or be prepared to throw twenty quid + down the drain.  Otherwise you wont break the cycle of people topping up tanks 60% + full 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Govt are way more clever than we realise

They’ve  created a fuel shortage from nothing

the people WFH can reschedule the time in their day to sit in queues to fill up the tanks they don’t need to fill up

the people working out and about can’t 

hence we’ll soon be in a de facto lockdown! 

(that was a joke btw)

anyone have any solutions?

I would insist that min delivery charge is £45

hence anyone filling up would actually need to fill up or be prepared to throw twenty quid + down the drain.  Otherwise you wont break the cycle of people topping up tanks 60% + full 

The easy answer is that drivers can't fill up unless they have a low fuel warning light on.

55 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The easy answer is that drivers can't fill up unless they have a low fuel warning light on.

Not sure how you would enforce that though. 

I work in a petrol station and it's busy enough without having to check everyone's car.

I do have to reiterate though having read the last few folks posts mentioning a "Fuel shortage". There is in no way shape or form, a fuel shortage there is more than plenty of the stuff.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Not sure how you would enforce that though. 

I work in a petrol station and it's busy enough without having to check everyone's car.

I do have to reiterate though having read the last few folks posts mentioning a "Fuel shortage". There is in no way shape or form, a fuel shortage there is more than plenty of the stuff.  

There is at the pumps though, which, as far as the consumer is concerned, is all that matters.

Challenged a guy who was filling up his 3rd Jerry can of petrol at a station on Friday, he said he needed it for his lawn mower.

At the end of September I asked? 15 litres? I asked if it was a porsche, tongue in cheek. He replied, no....Honda. 

What a pillock.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

There is at the pumps though, which, as far as the consumer is concerned, is all that matters.

But that's only being created by said public who are created a crazy demand for it which is completely unnecessary. 

Plus, it's not all petrol stations who are running low. Mine is completely fine for fuel. 

Edited by Scotch

Very tempting offer. Spend 12 weeks decapitating birds in Bernard Matthews' avian gulags followed by a Christmas trapped in your lorry on a runway in Kent eating cat food and shitting directly into the River Medway.

Honestly, I saw a comment where a real life sentient human with a brain said "it's not Brexit, it's EU red tape"

The world is laughing at how thick we are as a population.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Scotch said:

But that's only being created by said public who are created a crazy demand for it which is completely unnecessary. 

Plus, it's not all petrol stations who are running low. Mine is completely fine for fuel. 

Have they, or has the government created the problem by coming out and saying don't panic, we've got plenty of fuel. Doesn't matter anyway cos we can't drive anywhere because a bunch of treehuggers have superglued themselves to the roads because we haven't got any loft insulation!

32 minutes ago, Buce said:

image.png.10e7937bdbed130f20b660cca89113c1.png

Shouldn't somebody remind them that they need us more than we need them...?

Why..They can Drive around Mainland Europe, the ones working, will find Contracts & Drives galore, without the Visa & doku-shit..!!!

13 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Have they, or has the government created the problem by coming out and saying don't panic, we've got plenty of fuel. Doesn't matter anyway cos we can't drive anywhere because a bunch of treehuggers have superglued themselves to the roads because we haven't got any loft insulation!

....No, its the public. 

It’s amazing - the govt knew about the severity of lorry driver shortage months ago.  If they’d brought i a six month visa in June then I guess we may have see a number of EU drivers prepared to come and earn a few bob.  But to do it for the last three months of the year like this - it’s arrogant and just reflects how useless those running our country are - wallowing in dogma ….

• Like 4

I've read a big/bigger issue for HGV drivers (european or otherwise) working the the UK is the IR35 changes which basically makes it less 'tax efficient' to work in the UK - or in laymans terms, they don't as much now. Not due entirely to Brexit or even EU red tape (though I'm sure they play a part) but purely financial.

I've read of HGV drivers that have gotten out of the game purely because it just doesn't pay nowadays.