Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58774262

It's 2021. Why is this still having to happen in any first world country?

The power of organised religion.  Scary isn't it? And you can bet if one of these dodgy super preachers got his bit on the side up the duff she would be sent straight off to a clinic.

23 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

America, first world?  I wonder at times.  It's definitely not the greatest place on the planet

TBF it is first world...but only predicated upon one's ability to pay.

17 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The power of organised religion.  Scary isn't it? And you can bet if one of these dodgy super preachers got his bit on the side up the duff she would be sent straight off to a clinic.

Yep. And this from a country whose origins were supposed to include separating church and state.

And yes, lots of them are hypocrites, too.

• Like 1

The difference between the US and England is that organized religion, ie Episcopal or any other protestant branch is non existent in terms of influence.

Whereas in the US, those religious protestant influences are still powerful

10 minutes ago, Smudge said:

The difference between the US and England is that organized religion, ie Episcopal or any other protestant branch is non existent in terms of influence.

Whereas in the US, those religious protestant influences are still powerful

Yes, and with predictable repressive results.

32 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yes, and with predictable repressive results.

I'm not arguing with that. I'm trying to explain why the two counties are so different. The US is not a first world country in that regard but then where is? Moreover what influence does it have?

Edited by Smudge

17 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I'm not arguing with that. I'm trying to explain why the two counties are so different. The US is not a first world country in that regard but then where is? Moreover what influence does it have?

Yep, and I definitely agree with the conclusions you draw - no argument here either. :thumbup:

I just wish that things were different because I see what happens over there and it pisses me off.

NB. There are a few countries that I would call "first-world" in terms of their social policies - the Nordics, Canada, Aus and NZ, the UK too (whisper it quietly), perhaps a couple of others - but unfortunately none of them have the same global influence as the US, China and Russia do.

28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Absolutely disgusting.

Sadly, you do wonder if Wayne Couzens' conviction will make more victims (and rightly so) to come forward in revealing that they've been in the same situation themselves.

26 minutes ago, Tinman said:

If people think the law is letting these protesters block the streets with no consequences, the public will start taking the law into their own hands.

Surprised no one gave the protesters a shoeing, there.

I can imagine that if you tried blocking roads like that in many other European countries, law officers with night sticks would clear you out with considerable violence.

We all want to be heard, but in trying to impose their will by wasting others' time, money and safety, these protesters are going to lose support they might otherwise have had.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

If people think the law is letting these protesters block the streets with no consequences, the public will start taking the law into their own hands.

I can imagine that if you tried blocking roads like that in many other European countries, law officers with night sticks would clear you out with considerable violence.

We all want to be heard, but in trying to impose their will by wasting others' time, money and safety, these protesters are going to lose support they might otherwise have had.

I think it's getting to the point where it's simpler for the public to remove them than the police.

They lost the PR battle a long time ago, and there's a video doing the rounds now of a very upset lady who is desperate to see her mum in hospital remonstrating with the protesters.

The group will have to work damn hard to create a positive or impactful PR campaign to beat that. Anyone wavering will see the emotion in that lady, read stories of how people have been negatively affected and immediately side with them.

You lose the emotional war and you've got no chance. It's a matter of time before someone, likely a protester, gets seriously hurt in all of these incidents.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

And those chaps (the ones doing the dragging) will all get a knock on the door from the police if those gimps make a complaint. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

They lost the PR battle a long time ago, and there's a video doing the rounds now of a very upset lady who is desperate to see her mum in hospital remonstrating with the protesters.

The group will have to work damn hard to create a positive or impactful PR campaign to beat that. Anyone wavering will see the emotion in that lady, read stories of how people have been negatively affected and immediately side with them.

You lose the emotional war and you've got no chance. It's a matter of time before someone, likely a protester, gets seriously hurt in all of these incidents.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/19591197.mum-paralysed-stroke-m25-protest-delayed-hospital-trip/

There's been a few accidents on the M25 due to them as well.

4 hours ago, Tinman said:

Cant stop watching this, I just can't believe these pricks I get being a nuisance but if theres a literal ambulance there when they literally caused a death the other week, they should ****ing make way then start standing in the way again absolute scum who need to get jobs

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Cant stop watching this, I just can't believe these pricks I get being a nuisance but if theres a literal ambulance there when they literally caused a death the other week, they should ****ing make way then start standing in the way again absolute scum who need to get jobs

In the video which shows an obviously distressed lady you can hear someone saying "that's not our fault" when shes pleading with them to let her through.