Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

39 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Approximately £90,000,000 of military hardware going for a swim 

Must be one of those F35's we sold you. Sorry no returns.:D But look at the bright side as to how many thousands of poor people around the world won't be bombed to death using that plane. That's what I call a win for humanity. One small step at a time.

Christ, I fvcking hate this country sometimes.

Ten days ago, people stood on the beach in Hastings and tried to prevent a lifeboat crew from going into the sea to rescue a group of refugees in a flimsy dinghy. According to a witness, they were shouting at the RNLI: “Don’t bring any more of those, we’re full up, that’s why we stopped our donations.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/30/hastings-small-boat-arrivals-tensions-east-sussex-town

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Buce said:

Ten days ago, people stood on the beach in Hastings and tried to prevent a lifeboat crew from going into the sea to rescue a group of refugees in a flimsy dinghy. According to a witness, they were shouting at the RNLI: “Don’t bring any more of those, we’re full up, that’s why we stopped our donations.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/30/hastings-small-boat-arrivals-tensions-east-sussex-town

:cry:

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Was down the pub only yesterday and there were a group of blokes talking about shooting boats in the channel out the water. Whatever your view on immigration or channel crossings, some people are completely unhinged. You say that about any other group in society and you get a booking with PREVENT. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Was down the pub only yesterday and there were a group of blokes talking about shooting boats in the channel out the water. Whatever your view on immigration or channel crossings, some people are completely unhinged. You say that about any other group in society and you get a booking with PREVENT. 

There's a word for people that think that way, and I fear it's more prevalent than most care to admit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

If only the "thought police" these c***s always go on about actually existed, so their thoughts could be policed.

I don't see what place there is in society for people so consumed by hate

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

She does have a valid point, but her non-Covid compliances within her business could've set a bad health precedent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59475101

What is her valid point?  I mean all they're asking is for her to pop a few hand sanitiser bottles around the place and ensure people can wash their hands properly.  The latter is a basic requirement for any food-handling establishment even without a pandemic.  Her argument appears to boil down to 'I can do what I like, it's my business', but again, even without a pandemic that's just not true (unless you know the right people, which this lady clearly doesn't). 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

What is her valid point?  I mean all they're asking is for her to pop a few hand sanitiser bottles around the place and ensure people can wash their hands properly.  The latter is a basic requirement for any food-handling establishment even without a pandemic.  Her argument appears to boil down to 'I can do what I like, it's my business', but again, even without a pandemic that's just not true (unless you know the right people, which this lady clearly doesn't). 

Are we deliberately ignoring the point about refusing to ask for Covid passes?  

On 24/11/2021 at 09:27, Finnegan said:

Possibly true on the conjecture, feigning quotation of data without sources is always a bit of a dick move (although we've probably all done it on the Internet, where we're too lazy to go Google our research) but he's still not inherently wrong. 

It's about privilege and about power. It will always be an asymmetrical relationship because when you're born biologically male, you're born privileged and with the power weighted in your favour. Those female only safe spaces have been hard fought for and when they see what they perceive to be encroachment on those spaces by folk born with that privilege then anxiety comes with it. 

The black and white morality of social media is a carefully constructed tool to get the working populace arguing with each other. It's a trap we fall in to on party politics, covid, race, religion, gender, sexuality, anything to keep us divided. 

Buying in to it isn't helpful whatever your position and there's a certain obligation on the Liberal/Progressive movement on social media to remember that.

Britain and America have seen their white working classes seduced by conservative politics in part because increasingly "the Left" ignored their anxiety and their fears about migration threatening their livelihoods. Sure, the mass media was undertaking a multi billion dollar campaign to stoke those fears (and still is) but where "the Left" as an institution failed was in falling in to the trap (and again, we've all done this at times - myself included) of belittling those fears and arbitrarily dismissing it as bigotry. 

Now a version of the same phenomena is present when we discuss gender. The TERF movement comes from a place of fear and of anxiety, of feeling under threat. There's an opportunity here to be sympathetic to that, to recognise that and to appease it. Not to pander to it but certainly not to attack it either. Dismissing the concerns of Rowling and Co only as bigotry won't help anyone's cause, it'll just create more division. 

This is one of my main fears with the left. The easiest way I see the left losing social cohesion among normal left wingers is by pitting opressed groups against each other based on how opressed they are rather than uniting them by that.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Are we deliberately ignoring the point about refusing to ask for Covid passes?  

Not at all, but I am deliberately choosing not to pretend it's the only issue for her when it's pretty clear from the article that this business owner had no intention of taking even the most basic precautionary steps well before she was required to implement the Covid pass policy.  How can you even run a café with no handwashing facilities?  Tell me that, please.  Or at least explain how the covid pass disagreement justifies it?

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Not at all, but I am deliberately choosing not to pretend it's the only issue for her when it's pretty clear from the article that this business owner had no intention of taking even the most basic precautionary steps well before she was required to implement the Covid pass policy.  How can you even run a café with no handwashing facilities?  Tell me that, please.  Or at least explain how the covid pass disagreement justifies it?

I'm pretty sure that a cafe doesn't have to have customer toilets at all, and hence also doesn't require handwashing facilities.

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

This is utterly horrendous:

Bus with Jewish kids attacked on Oxford Street

Disgusting behaviour.  My first thought was how exactly does a group of anti-Semitic arseholes come across a bus full of Jewish kids, but it sounds like they were out and about promoting Judaism.  Possibly planned protest turned nasty.

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Disgusting behaviour.  My first thought was how exactly does a group of anti-Semitic arseholes come across a bus full of Jewish kids, but it sounds like they were out and about promoting Judaism.  Possibly planned protest turned nasty.

They weren’t promoting Judaism - they were handing out sweets to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah. The men wouldn’t have known they would be there - it was a spontaneous and vicious attack because they were Jewish. 

9 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

They weren’t promoting Judaism - they were handing out sweets to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah. The men wouldn’t have known they would be there - it was a spontaneous and vicious attack because they were Jewish. 

The group they were with promotes Judaism, so it is possible it was a known event or annual activity.  I'm not sure which is worse anyway.  I am not religious, and I dislike religions promoting themselves etc, however I absolutely support their right to do so (or anything else) without persecution.  Sadly with a multicultural society comes multiple cultures, and some of them are still very much anti-Semitic.