Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

6 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I see inflation is the highest it’s been in 40 years over there

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59573145

On the above.

If it's mostly to do with Covid there's only so much the current administration can do given the anti vax predilection of a lot of the population there...but they do need to do something because people do tend to remember not having money in their pockets at the ballot box.

Edited by leicsmac

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59573145

On the above.

If it's mostly to do with Covid there's only so much the current administration can do given the anti vax predilection of a lot of the population there...but they do need to do something because people do tend to remember not having money in their pockets at the ballot box.

That sort of news should send the markets into a bit of a tail spin.

It hasn’t.

25 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

That sort of news should send the markets into a bit of a tail spin.

It hasn’t.

That is true.

TBH I consider the social issues and scientific issues in particular in the US (like Texas and some other states doing their best to inhibit womens rights again) more important, but as James Carville said, to most other people, "It's the economy, stupid."

3 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I see inflation is the highest it’s been in 40 years over there

The gist of the BBC article works for me. The poor don't have the cushion to absorb the price rises especially in housing and food. Real Estate is nuts. We bought a house in the middle of the pandemic out of necessity as our rent rose by 40%. We are fortunate we live in a low tax low population state. Living in a big City like NYC is not a good thing now.

Edited by SO1

On 11/12/2021 at 00:45, leicsmac said:

That is true.

TBH I consider the social issues and scientific issues in particular in the US (like Texas and some other states doing their best to inhibit womens rights again) more important, but as James Carville said, to most other people, "It's the economy, stupid."

On 11/12/2021 at 00:45, leicsmac said:

That is true.

Economic woes will only add to the social problems won’t they?

8 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Economic woes will only add to the social problems won’t they?

To most, they will, yeah, which is what I was getting at in the original post.

So really it needs a multifaceted approach as I'm well aware most people care more about issues like actually fixing the planet and addressing systemic police brutality when they have a bob in their back pocket, even if those issues are statistically more important anyway.

Edited by leicsmac

On 11/12/2021 at 00:53, SO1 said:

The gist of the BBC article works for me. The poor don't have the cushion to absorb the price rises especially in housing and food. Real Estate is nuts. We bought a house in the middle of the pandemic out of necessity as our rent rose by 40%. We are fortunate we live in a low tax low population state. Living in a big City like NYC is not a good thing now.

Where does it go from here?I see that personal car debt alone stands at 1.7 Trillion US dollars.That is over half of the UKs total GDP..I realise that the car is more essential in America than Europe,but still mind blowing.Add on student,health,rent and individual card and loan debts that have all increased since 2008.I would expect movement in eastern Ukraine round about the time of the first interest rate hike >_<

Meanwhile sales in luxury yachts have gone up 25%.

10 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Where does it go from here?I see that personal car debt alone stands at 1.7 Trillion US dollars.That is over half of the UKs total GDP..I realise that the car is more essential in America than Europe,but still mind blowing.Add on student,health,rent and individual card and loan debts that have all increased since 2008.I would expect movement in eastern Ukraine round about the time of the first interest rate hike >_<

Meanwhile sales in luxury yachts have gone up 25%.

The phrase "what cant be paid wont" comes to mind. The end of the dollar as the reserve currency and the who knows after that. Something like the disintegration of the USSR in the 80s-90s? Feels like the world is turning into the movie "Children of Men." I guess as long as we can type ones and zeros into the computer for the ruling class and its masters its all good. "The Hamptons is not a defensable position. Eventually people will come for you" Ha Ha. Good times when they start repo ing peoples homes enmasse.

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-59632727

A small step, but a good one.

The thing is the US being non agreement capable, North Korea can never trust the US not to pull some backhanded move llke with Iran and JCPOA, which Iran was honoring to the letter. At least until the US pulled out and started to impose more sanctions. Thank god for China and Russia refusing to go along as it would have been another Iraq/Syria situation to destroy their economy and infrastructure. Setting them up for another democratic/regime change genocide. The most positive thing is the conversation that has now started between North Korea and its neighbors to which you referred. Something that should be beneficial to them all as the US slowly drifts into obscurity, global reach and power.

Edited by SO1

Just now, Facecloth said:

What's the full story though? Are they not letting the leave because they have to finish their shift? Are they not letting the leave because the next shift can't get in and they Ate covering? Or are they not letting them leave because they have a duty of care to their employees and they deem it too dangerous to travel in that weather? Ultimately if its the last one then it didn't work out, but its easy to assume it's a big corporation being evil rather than a manager trying to keep people safe, regardless of the final outcome.

Yeah, that's logical and I agree.

I just found the whole thing tragic, regardless of the level of culpability of Amazon in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I just found the whole thing tragic, regardless of the level of culpability of Amazon in it.

I mean I wouldn't be shocked if they were forced to stay and work. Buy also equally wouldn't be surprised if someone felt staying put was the safest option. 

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

"Amazon wont let us leave" The bottom line for me is who has the power. Amazon or Larry? Amazon could of shut down the business for a night while all this was going on. Because there was forecasting for this type of event at least 24hrs before. It shouldn't be a life or death decision to go/stay to work and risk losing your livelihood as a result of your decision. Amazon should never have been in the position to put someone in this type of situation,

Pay people to stay home for a night to keep everyone safe. Imagine that! Oh the profits!

On 12/12/2021 at 16:26, SO1 said:

The phrase "what cant be paid wont" comes to mind. The end of the dollar as the reserve currency and the who knows after that. Something like the disintegration of the USSR in the 80s-90s? Feels like the world is turning into the movie "Children of Men." I guess as long as we can type ones and zeros into the computer for the ruling class and its masters its all good. "The Hamptons is not a defensable position. Eventually people will come for you" Ha Ha. Good times when they start repo ing peoples homes enmasse.

Children of Men-great film and probably my favourite modernish British flick.It is getting a little bit like that.Well that and the brilliant Star Ship Troopers propaganda adverts:)Thought about Mark Blyth the other day as I haven’t seen any of his recent stuff lately.

UK Inflation rate now stands at 5.1% according to the trusted horseshit method.Old school workings out and our own wallets put it at a 30 year high.So at least double that.Bit of a perfect storm brewing at the minute.Any gains made during the shutdowns are now being eaten into.The new variant is going to slow business down again just as they have too start paying the loans back etc etc.

Wtf is this DEC appeal on the BBC for Afghanistan? The govt match funding donations. Is that a macabre joke?! 

They (and by association the UK public by broadly supporting the govt withdrawal) left the gaff to rot a few weeks ago. Now we have to cry crocodile tears.  

What did the govt/the public expect?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-59643479

When is this piece of shit going to be put inside? After she kills someone? Vile woman and our courts are laughable.

That is fvcking outrageous.

I cannot fathom how someone can literally tick all of the boxes for "when not to drive a car", with her previous record added into the mix, and get away with a suspended sentence.

There is no way in hell any non-famous person would be getting away with that. Not. A. Chance. Awful.

13 hours ago, ajthefox said:

That is fvcking outrageous.

I cannot fathom how someone can literally tick all of the boxes for "when not to drive a car", with her previous record added into the mix, and get away with a suspended sentence.

There is no way in hell any non-famous person would be getting away with that. Not. A. Chance. Awful.

Perhaps employed This fella?

Gets celebs off all sorts of motoring offences yet targets cycling.

Some cyclists are inconsiderate, but this just smacks of hypocrisy.