Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not a joke - it’s the law and it’s there to protect everyone 
now if the govt and authorities do their job properly then he would be in his way back to wherever he lives. 

Regardless of the legal issues, the problem is that him being allowed in unvaccinated, even if due to a government balls up, just gives people here the feeling of one rule for them, etc, especially when Australian citizens abroad have had a rough time getting in. It’s a bit like when Dominic Cummings did his Barnard Castle run, it undermines not just vaccine mandates but all the other pandemic related restrictions that everyone has had to endure for the last 2 years. People here are rightly angry.

I have no time for Djokovic, seems like an arrogant person to me, (even if talented), but despite this and my paragraph above, this whole episode has to be seen in context as the Federal government distracting from their appallingly incompetent pandemic management in recent months. Morrison was under considerable pressure, but now all that seems to be discussed is Djokovic.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Ichthyosaur: Huge fossilised ‘sea dragon’ found in Rutland reservoir

Rutland sea dragonIMAGE SOURCE,MATTHEW POWER PHOTOGRAPHY

"I rang up the county council and I said I think I've found a dinosaur," explained Joe Davis, who works at Rutland Water Nature Reserve.

During landscaping work at the reserve's reservoir in February 2021, he'd spotted something odd poking out of the mud.

It wasn't a dinosaur. But it was the fossilised remains of a ten-metre long sea predator called an ichthyosaur.

And it was the largest of its type ever discovered in the UK.

"I looked down at what seemed like stones or ridges in the mud and I said this looks a bit organic, a bit different," Mr Davis told BBC News. "Then we saw something that looked almost like a jawbone."

The council said to Mr Davis: "We don't have a dinosaur department at Rutland County Council so we're going to have to get someone to call you back." A team of palaeontologists were brought in for a closer look.

Workers excavating the sea dragonIMAGE SOURCE,ANGLIAN WATER

They concluded it was an ichthyosaur - a type of warm-blooded, air-breathing sea predator not unlike dolphins. They could grow up to 25 metres long and lived between 250 million and 90 million years ago.

Dr Dean Lomax, a palaeontologist from Manchester University, was brought in to lead the excavation effort. He called the discovery "truly unprecedented" and - due to its size and completeness - "one of the greatest finds in British palaeontological history".

"Usually we think of ichthyosaurs and other marine reptiles being discovered along the Jurassic coast in Dorset or the Yorkshire coast, where many of them are exposed by the erosion of the cliffs. Here at an inland location is very unusual."

Rutland is more than thirty miles from the coast, but 200 million years ago higher sea levels meant it was covered by a shallow ocean.

When water levels at the Rutland reservoir were lowered again in the late summer of 2021, a team of palaeontologists came in to excavate the remains. Special attention was paid to the removal of the huge skull.

ichthyosaur skeletonIMAGE SOURCE,ANGLIAN WATER

Image caption,
Ichthyosaurs became extinct around 90 million years ago

A large block of clay containing the ichthyosaur's head was carefully dug out before being covered in plaster and placed on wooden splints.

The block, weighing almost a tonne, was raised out of the mud and will now be examined further.

"It's not often you are responsible for safely lifting a very important but very fragile fossil weighing that much," said Nigel Larkin, palaeontological conservator and Visiting Research Fellow at Reading University. "It is a responsibility, but I love a challenge."

Anglian Water, which manages the Rutland reservoir, is now looking for funding to enable the ichthyosaur to stay in the area and be enjoyed by the general public.

"A lot of people thought I was pulling their leg when I told them I'd found a large marine reptile at work," Mr Davis said. "I think a lot of people won't believe it until the TV programme goes out."

That TV programme is on Tuesday 11 January at 8pm on BBC Two. "Digging for Britain" will then be available on the BBC iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59915689

Fiona Bruce just told the nation that Rutland water is in Leicestershire. 🤭

• Haha 1

What will be the solution to expected higher energy costs etc.?

If it ends up with the consumers having to pay for the consequences on it, there'll bound to be more households ending up in poverty.

Edited by Wymsey

10 hours ago, Wymsey said:

What will be the solution to expected higher energy costs etc.?

If it ends up with the consumers having to pay for the consequences on it, there'll bound to be more households ending up in poverty.

‘Do star jumps’: energy supplier criticised over advice on keeping warm

Labour and Tory MPs angered by SSE’s suggestions such as ‘having a cuddle’ as households face sharp rise in energy bills

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jan/10/do-star-jumps-uk-energy-supplier-sse-criticised-over-keep-warm-advice

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Buce said:

‘Do star jumps’: energy supplier criticised over advice on keeping warm

Labour and Tory MPs angered by SSE’s suggestions such as ‘having a cuddle’ as households face sharp rise in energy bills

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jan/10/do-star-jumps-uk-energy-supplier-sse-criticised-over-keep-warm-advice

We probably ought to be telling people to put jumpers on at home and keep the heating turned down a bit. Obviously not just because of high energy prices but environmentally.

We waste so much energy in the first world because it’s so cheap and readily available.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We waste so much energy in the first world because it’s so cheap and readily available.

Whilst in Afghanistan right now, with a pittance of a household income you make the choice between food or firewood. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We probably ought to be telling people to put jumpers on at home and keep the heating turned down a bit. Obviously not just because of high energy prices but environmentally.

That and pushing for more sustainable, less carbon intensive sources.

Rapidly.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Granted.

But the 'advice' came across as a modern day version of let them eat cake...

17 minutes ago, Buce said:

Granted.

But the 'advice' came across as a modern day version of let them eat cake...

Yeah I agree, I wasn’t defending it by any means. The energy companies are a bunch of c***s.

Just merely thinking out loud.

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

Exactly this. Had smart meters installed recently and when it's been 2c outside I don't want to waste my money and valuable resources, so put a jumper on. Put two on on some days, has the same effect as putting the heating up a couple of degrees but doesn't cost anyone anything

15 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Exactly this. Had smart meters installed recently and when it's been 2c outside I don't want to waste my money and valuable resources, so put a jumper on. Put two on on some days, has the same effect as putting the heating up a couple of degrees but doesn't cost anyone anything

must admit- this is one thing I love about living in the U.S - so many trees=  We use a wood burning stove to heat our house

As an aside, we only use dead trees- ones struck by lightning, fall down in storms or one that just naturally die for a variety of reasons. I think woof is a sustainable source of heat when used correctly.  When we moved into our house there were several trees down but we left them alone as we figured they’d had a time to become part of the local habitat. Some of the latest models of wood burning stoves are almost carbon neutral 

• Like 1

There was an article in the Merc today about a lady who was driving towards Countesthorpe and saw a fox run over the road near a pub swiftly followed by hounds and members of the hunt on horseback ….  it was not only dangerous for anyone driving on the road but she found it very upsetting.  She believed the fox got away.   Unfortunately it didn’t ..  the fox ran into a garden and was heard squealing in pain by all the people standing outside the pub as it was torn to bits.  Moments later it was whisked away by a man on a quad bike.  I thought fox hunting was banned.  What a joke ..  this has got to be sorted.  Now.   :(

On 12/01/2022 at 13:10, Countryfox said:

There was an article in the Merc today about a lady who was driving towards Countesthorpe and saw a fox run over the road near a pub swiftly followed by hounds and members of the hunt on horseback ….  it was not only dangerous for anyone driving on the road but she found it very upsetting.  She believed the fox got away.   Unfortunately it didn’t ..  the fox ran into a garden and was heard squealing in pain by all the people standing outside the pub as it was torn to bits.  Moments later it was whisked away by a man on a quad bike.  I thought fox hunting was banned.  What a joke ..  this has got to be sorted.  Now.   :(

Banned but who checks what's going on in the rural areas, particularly the more remote areas of our county?

Or is a blind eye being turned? 

Surely the lobby groups opposed to this activity would be around. I guess they can't be at every location during a "hunt" and are more likely to be present at the initial gathering of the hunt. Once the hunt sets off over fields and hedges it would be hard to get any evidence of a live hunt of foxes.

I assume.

It's obscene and cruel. And I dislike foxes. Humane culling would be so much better.