Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

On 23/01/2022 at 06:38, marbles said:

I like what you’re saying Aus, but I am going to argue one point you made.

Although education in this country is severely lacking (double emphasis on severely), I can’t see how that is what drives criminal activity.

Like I asked in an earlier post, why are their times when 2 kids raised together, attended school together - one studies, and betters themselves.  The other turns to a life of crime?  If it was only about the education, they would both (or all) follow the same path.  I think some people just choose the easy way in life.

On 22/01/2022 at 23:32, marbles said:

Blaming politicians, or educating at the root of the problem, is simply avoiding the issue.

People choose to break laws.  They don’t do it because a politician forced them to.  They don’t do it because they are uneducated.

Why in low income neighborhoods, with 2 kids growing up side by side, attending the same school - will one stay in school, learn and better themselves, while the other turn to a life of crime?  It’s a choice.  Certain people choose to take the easy way out.

There will always be exceptions to every rule. But we know, and have done for a very long time, that poverty, lack of education, and crime all go hand in hand. There are thousands of stats to back this up. 

The rates of all three are far higher in the US than in Europe, and building more prisons certainly doesn't seem to be solving the problem does it? 

The US has the highest number of prisoners in the world, but also one of the highest crime rates. 

I also don't agree that just because you all have guns that nothing can be done about that, although I expect you to disagree. The murder rates in the US are completely off the charts, goodness knows why anyone thinks the average American Joe being allowed to own his own firearm can possibly be a good thing. 

A big advantage of having a World Cup every two years is that it would likely stop African migrants travelling to Europe. Well, not my view, but that from FIFA president to Council of Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/26/fifa-gianni-infantino-biennial-world-cup-could-save-african-migrants-from-death-in-the-sea

Extraordinary view from Infantino that cannot be based on reality. Perhaps it's asking too much to expect a FIFA president over recent years who is neither corrupt nor out of touch with with reality?

30 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Yup, and I think she really needs get help. Main reason for this is she needs money and this is the only way she knows how to and get it quickly. 

It’s a bit sad that she’s in this state without help that she so obviously needs. Cry for help? Attention seeking? Things someone close to her needs to mention. 

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Anyone else see that fox news interview of the /r/antiwork moderator? What a cluster**** and a way to shit on over a million members. Jeez. 

First mistake: agreeing to what would obviously be a hit piece from Faux News in the first place.

Second mistake: not sending someone with a lot of media experience who would know what to expect to do the interview.

Play at least some games at home before travelling to Napoli to play seasoned pros who want your head on a platter, guys.

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Anyone else see that fox news interview of the /r/antiwork moderator? What a cluster**** and a way to shit on over a million members. Jeez. 

It's ok we still have r/workreform which is a better sub title anyway.  What an utter farce though, Doreen needs to hang her head in shame next time she's out walking the dogs.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

First mistake: agreeing to what would obviously be a hit piece from Faux News in the first place.

Second mistake: not sending someone with a lot of media experience who would know what to expect to do the interview.

Play at least some games at home before travelling to Napoli to play seasoned pros who want your head on a platter, guys.

Absolutely. Think it's worse that the sub apparently held a vote on doing media interviews and it was decided not to bother, pretty much for exactly this reason. And even more worse is according to some posts on the sub apparently they even lied when they said they do 20-25 hours a week, in reality they do 10. If you have to lie about it then you know you're not the person to represent the sub, surely! :facepalm:

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's ok we still have r/workreform which is a better sub title anyway.  What an utter farce though, Doreen needs to hang her head in shame next time she's out walking the dogs.

I agree. I think "antiwork" gives the wrong impression. I think while there are extreme views towards work on there, most simply want a fair amount out for a fair amount of effort in. And not to be treated like muppets. 

9 hours ago, Innovindil said:

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Reddit has gone bonkers for it (my inner conspiracy theorist is wondering how many bad actors there are amongst those creating and up voting memes about it) but the whole thing is a really fvcking weird non story. I mean it's not like this is some genuine active organisation, it's just a subreddit. What have fox news "won" other than a generic bit of "owning the libs." 

And what has antiwork lost? A small bit of face that's easily explained by anyone that understands the platform. 

It's not like a whole generation of seriously frustrated, disillusioned people are suddenly going to go "wow, you know I'm fine working 50+hrs at the national average to not afford a house now, thanks fox news."

I mean everyone's angry at the mod in question but it's some reddit kid in a basement somewhere being offered a bit of random fame, they're obviously going to like the sense of self importance. Fox were smart, cynical and predatory, they specifically and predictably targeted and requested the mod who they knew had shit social skills and a gender identity they could poke fun at. Everyone at fox was well aware how it would go down before they even started. 

Look past the superficial embarrassment for a second, though, and what it really shows is how terrified the billionaire establishment in the States is of Gen Z. The fact they felt the need to essentially kick the playground weird kid in the balls in front of the world says far more about them than some random redditor. 

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

And what has antiwork lost? A small bit of face that's easily explained by anyone that understands the platform. 

Which is the problem. Because you know the platform and know that that individual is an anomaly and not the average person in that sub means you can dismiss it as a non-story. 

The reality is that for a massive percentage of Americans, their first interaction with that group/movement was that interview, and it was a disaster. The face of an antiwork movement being somebody that ticks every conceivable preconception of a work shy person is exactly the opposite of what you want. 

Now we can jump on the big brain but but but not everyone is like that, movement bigger than one story bla bla bla but people have every right to be angry at that mod, they had no right to jump on an interview to represent that sub for 5 seconds of fame. Especially after it was decided by vote to not do any interviews ffs. 

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Which is the problem. Because you know the platform and know that that individual is an anomaly and not the average person in that sub means you can dismiss it as a non-story. 

The reality is that for a massive percentage of Americans, their first interaction with that group/movement was that interview, and it was a disaster. The face of an antiwork movement being somebody that ticks every conceivable preconception of a work shy person is exactly the opposite of what you want. 

Now we can jump on the big brain but but but not everyone is like that, movement bigger than one story bla bla bla but people have every right to be angry at that mod, they had no right to jump on an interview to represent that sub for 5 seconds of fame. Especially after it was decided by vote to not do any interviews ffs. 

But it's fox news viewers, for a start, people watch fox news to hear what they want to hear at this point. 99% of fox news viewers weren't ever going to be convinced that a community called "anti work" wasn't full of people exactly like this mod anyway. 

A couple of reactionary teenagers might unfollow the sub in embarrassment or swap to a near identical one with a different name but that'll be about the sum of the damage. 

Again, this isn't an organisation it's a sub-forum mostly full of memes and stories of things that were already happening without it (people quitting shit low pay jobs because they're shit low pay jobs.)

The "movement" isn't even a movement, its way more than that, it's an entire generation getting pissed off and it's not going anywhere because fox news embarrassed some kid globally, if anything it'll just serve to wind them up more in the long run. 

This phenomena doesn't need a sub reddit to fuel it, it's far bigger than that. Fast food chains across the USA haven't been struggling to employ kids for the last eighteen months and having to fight against calls for higher minimum wage because of r/antiwork, it's been happening anyway and r/antiwork was just a place it was getting partially documented. 

This story will blow over in a few days when the news cycle throws up something else meme worthy and everyone will go right on back to complaining about their bosses and refusing to work for shit pay and posting about it on reddit. 

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Reddit has gone bonkers for it (my inner conspiracy theorist is wondering how many bad actors there are amongst those creating and up voting memes about it) but the whole thing is a really fvcking weird non story. I mean it's not like this is some genuine active organisation, it's just a subreddit. What have fox news "won" other than a generic bit of "owning the libs." 

It's not like a whole generation of seriously frustrated, disillusioned people are suddenly going to go "wow, you know I'm fine working 50+hrs at the national average to not afford a house now, thanks fox news."

I mean everyone's angry at the mod in question but it's some reddit kid in a basement somewhere being offered a bit of random fame, they're obviously going to like the sense of self importance. Fox were smart, cynical and predatory, they specifically and predictably targeted and requested the mod who they knew had shit social skills and a gender identity they could poke fun at. Everyone at fox was well aware how it would go down before they even started. 

Look past the superficial embarrassment for a second, though, and what it really shows is how terrified the billionaire establishment in the States is of Gen Z. The fact they felt the need to essentially kick the playground weird kid in the balls in front of the world says far more about them than some random redditor. 

You're exactly right that people are simply moving to a new sub, the outrage is more at the arrogance of the mod in question (the subreddit held a vote which unanimously decided against any interview), their pathetic depiction of the issues people grapple with in that sub, and their reaction to the fallout where they deleted tons of comments and went ban crazy on anyone who voiced dissension before ultimately taking the sub into private mode.  I don't think people are concerned that the growing calls for improved working conditions are going to be scuppered by this for much of the reasons you stated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

the outrage is more at the arrogance of the mod in question

I'll be honest, I do have a bit of a problem with this. 

This kid was specifically researched, selected, targeted, groomed and played by seasoned professionals who are paid handsomely because they're very good at exactly this sort of takedown. 

I don't mean to take all responsibility away, clearly the kid wanted to be in the spotlight and liked the attention but that's pretty much every reddit mod. 

I'm not really OK with the the treatment they've gotten since on reddit. They made a mistake and it may have been due to a lack of humility but the reaction has still involved a lot of extremely unpleasant bullying that feels like misdirected anger. 

I think that the one thing that might be agreed upon here are Faux News are, again, twats interested only in propping up the business class and taking aim at anyone they might consider deviant from the status quo.

Funny, considering that last part is exactly the same thing they accuse the "woke left" of doing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Yup, and I think she really needs get help. Main reason for this is she needs money and this is the only way she knows how to and get it quickly. 

It’s a bit sad that she’s in this state without help that she so obviously needs. Cry for help? Attention seeking? Things someone close to her needs to mention. 

Sorry but I'm way past that way of thinking. This woman has had many opportunities to go to the best mental health facilities in the country on numerous occasions that so many people would kill for but the only time she seems interested is if it's to avoid jail for her many crimes. 

I used to think she was wrong vilified and was a lost girl who had been through a lot but I'm afraid that in reality, she's just a vile person. 

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This kid was specifically researched, selected, targeted, groomed and played by seasoned professionals who are paid handsomely because they're very good at exactly this sort of takedown. 

I don't mean to take all responsibility away, clearly the kid wanted to be in the spotlight and liked the attention but that's pretty much every reddit mod. 

I'm not really OK with the the treatment they've gotten since on reddit. They made a mistake and it may have been due to a lack of humility but the reaction has still involved a lot of extremely unpleasant bullying that feels like misdirected anger. 

Yeah it's reddit so there's a lot of people overreacting with vile abuse, not going to excuse that for one second.  As much as Fox targeted this person, she rejected offers of support from relevant professionals who were sub members prior to the obvious car crash, claimed to be media trained when the evidence screams to the contrary, ignored the unanimous wishes of the sub, gave the worst possible impression of a workers' rights activist, and then refused to listen to criticism when it all inevitably went pear shaped, resorting to the sort of iron fist behaviour the sub's supposed to be an act of rebellion against.  Fox are despicable and they no doubt bamboozled her in private but I don't think it's unfair to also characterise her overall behaviour as arrogant, indeed you could well argue it's that character trait which allowed her to be sucked into it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This kid is 30 years old. How old would they have to be to take some responsibility for their own actions. 

And I concur some of the treatment has been ridiculously ott and there's no excuse for it. However, there is justifiable criticism too, both for the before and after the interview. 

38 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think that the one thing that might be agreed upon here are Faux News are, again, twats interested only in propping up the business class and taking aim at anyone they might consider deviant from the status quo.

Funny, considering that last part is exactly the same thing they accuse the "woke left" of doing.

Absolutely. And a part of the reason people are upset that a mod who should know better has fallen for such tricks against the wishes of the sub. 

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

This kid is 30 years old. How old would they have to be to take some responsibility for their own actions. 

1. My language may have implied I felt age was the only real issue there, that's my bad, it isn't. It's more the fact it was an entire organisation for whom this is their raison d'etre vs a random basement reddit stereotype. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I don't mean to take all responsibility away, clearly the kid wanted to be in the spotlight and liked the attention

Literally in the passage you just quoted.