Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60303081

A sad story about cyberbullying from this side of the world.

Unfortunately it seems like misogyny and homophobia are behind a lot of these two cases, which implies the originators of each may be the same, given that the two are often linked when it comes to the kind of person spouting hate online.

Edited by leicsmac

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60240767

What is it about an ideology (nationalism) that actually has such little utility in terms of the future that it is somehow capable of convincing so many people that it is worth killing for right now?

I honestly would like to know because it seems self evident that traditional nationalism cannot survive the natural world and what it can deliver. So why?

In good news from Australia, the rather bible thumping government were defeated on amendments to the sex discrimination bill where they are removing a religion based exclusion but tried to only take out part of it.  Labor won a vote to remove the clause entirely.  Faith schools will no longer be able to kick out staff or students for being LBGTQ etc if it passes the Senate.  Christians groups are now lobbying to cancel the whole bill and keep their faith based exceptions.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

In good news from Australia, the rather bible thumping government were defeated on amendments to the sex discrimination bill where they are removing a religion based exclusion but tried to only take out part of it.  Labor won a vote to remove the clause entirely.  Faith schools will no longer be able to kick out staff or students for being LBGTQ etc if it passes the Senate.  Christians groups are now lobbying to cancel the whole bill and keep their faith based exceptions.

Sadly it still doesn't give as much protection to LGBT folks as needed and still panders to the religious propensity to discriminate against them:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/feb/10/coalition-religious-discrimination-bill-passes-after-marathon-all-night-sitting

59 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm a bit confused about the current status of this bill, or why Labor are supporting it at all. I guess they've tried to smooth off the rough edges, but the whole thing sounds like a Cult's Charter to me.

Time religion was binned off, not given additional licence to brainwash young people, particularly with the current batch of happy-clappy, hand waving, Hillsong-inspired organisations that seem to have sprung up over here.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I'm a bit confused about the current status of this bill, or why Labor are supporting it at all. I guess they've tried to smooth off the rough edges, but the whole thing sounds like a Cult's Charter to me.

Time religion was binned off, not given additional licence to brainwash young people, particularly with the current batch of happy-clappy, hand waving, Hillsong-inspired organisations that seem to have sprung up over here.

Scrap the good news, the bastards have dropped the bill, so the religious can continue mistreating LBTQ people with impunity.

Government shelves religious freedom bill indefinitely, leaving election promise hanging in uncertainty - ABC News

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Scrap the good news, the bastards have dropped the bill, so the religious can continue mistreating LBTQ people with impunity.

Government shelves religious freedom bill indefinitely, leaving election promise hanging in uncertainty - ABC News

Honestly, I'm hearing the opposite from some friends in Aus who thought this bill was a bad idea for LGBTQ folks in the first place, and I'm really not sure which is true from the information I have. It's all a bit confusing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Honestly, I'm hearing the opposite from some friends in Aus who thought this bill was a bad idea for LGBTQ folks in the first place, and I'm really not sure which is true from the information I have. It's all a bit confusing.

It was bad because the government were trying to amend the clause to remove the exception based on based on sexuality but not on gender, then the Labor opposition changed it to take out the exception clause altogether which was good, but they failed to remove some statement of religion clause ( so someone could still SAY they think you are an abomination for example which isn't good, but not act on it).  Now though the govt have suspended the bill so it wont go to the senate for final approval so we are back to square one where a Catholic school can sack a teacher or remove a pupil for being LBTQ etc.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It was bad because the government were trying to amend the clause to remove the exception based on based on sexuality but not on gender, then the Labor opposition changed it to take out the exception clause altogether which was good, but they failed to remove some statement of religion clause ( so someone could still SAY they think you are an abomination for example which isn't good, but not act on it).  Now though the govt have suspended the bill so it wont go to the senate for final approval so we are back to square one where a Catholic school can sack a teacher or remove a pupil for being LBTQ etc.

Thank you for the summation.

It's frustrating how misinterpretation of religious dogma a couple thousand years after it was written still has a say in state policy crafting in so many places.

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Crazy that on TV today they were quoting 14m “people of faith” in Australia. Presumably a good number of those are not practising.

Less than 10% practising.  Lots more than that seem to have their kids in faith schools mind you!

13 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Bet he wishes he made the MET's drug policy an actual good one with common sense, what a pratt. 

I don't care. "The bong arm of the law" brought me the most joy I've experienced today :D

• Like 1