Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

I don't think it's at all right to make that sort of joke. Losing your hair is really traumatic for a woman because it's a big part of the female gender presentation. I can't imagine a woman making that joke to another woman either. If I'd won the biggest award in my career and I was there with my wife and kids probably watching too, I wouldn't just sit there if Chris Rock made a joke at my wife's expense about something traumatic.

That said, I'd have gone and asked for the mic and told the audience why I thought it was over the line and then I would hand it back and sit down. Wouldn't have made it a personal thing with Chris Rock. Worst case some people mock you for being over sensitive, best case you look like a good husband and it leads to a bit of societal introspection over what should be acceptable in comedy and when. (I think it's very different if it's someone's private comedy act vs an awards show where families will be watching).

I don't really follow any of these celebrities but Will Smith gave off the impression of being a man wanting to be a good husband and father yet having no idea how to actually do that. It's like he suddenly mentally twigged that his wife had been insulted and he just had absolutely no idea what to do and thought "I guess I'm supposed to hit this guy? Act tough? Swear at him and tell him to leave my wife alone?". So it was like he was trying to emulate what he thought a man ought to be doing.. Then it's him in tears over the whole thing trying to reason away his actions with how much he loves his family. The photo of Tyler Perry patting him on the shoulder while he's in tears looks like a father consoling his son. Makes me wonder if Will Smith ever had any good male role models in his life growing up. 

2 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I don't think it's at all right to make that sort of joke. Losing your hair is really traumatic for a woman because it's a big part of the female gender presentation. I can't imagine a woman making that joke to another woman either. If I'd won the biggest award in my career and I was there with my wife and kids probably watching too, I wouldn't just sit there if Chris Rock made a joke at my wife's expense about something traumatic.

That said, I'd have gone and asked for the mic and told the audience why I thought it was over the line and then I would hand it back and sit down. Wouldn't have made it a personal thing with Chris Rock. Worst case some people mock you for being over sensitive, best case you look like a good husband and it leads to a bit of societal introspection over what should be acceptable in comedy and when. (I think it's very different if it's someone's private comedy act vs an awards show where families will be watching).

I don't really follow any of these celebrities but Will Smith gave off the impression of being a man wanting to be a good husband and father yet having no idea how to actually do that. It's like he suddenly mentally twigged that his wife had been insulted and he just had absolutely no idea what to do and thought "I guess I'm supposed to hit this guy? Act tough? Swear at him and tell him to leave my wife alone?". So it was like he was trying to emulate what he thought a man ought to be doing.. Then it's him in tears over the whole thing trying to reason away his actions with how much he loves his family. The photo of Tyler Perry patting him on the shoulder while he's in tears looks like a father consoling his son. Makes me wonder if Will Smith ever had any good male role models in his life growing up. 

Always thought his Uncle Phil was a good role model. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, frakenfox said:

Will Smith may have initially laughed (who knows why? Thicker skinned!?) but Jada is instantly clearly not impressed. It wasn't a good joke under the circumstances, and I can see why offense was taken. For me, it was poor taste at least and bordering on worse, regardless of their relationship issues and the public nature thereof or otherwise (I've no idea about that)

So 'edgy' comedian hides behind "it's a joke" shocker. I know it's par for the course for Oscar presenters to take the piss out of celebs, to make these edgey gags without expecting comeback, but that don't mean they're fair game for any remark.

It's difficult though, plenty people with that condition would've probably took it on the chin, they have rehereals for these shows as well don't they, so surely if it was too close on the nose then it would've been flagged?

Woke up this morning to Radio Leicester going on about punches being thrown at the Oscars.  It wasn't punches though was it?

Tbf the guy deserved a punch, I thought he was bang out of order and people laugh because they think they should because they think the comedian is funny.  However, he wasn't clever there and he wasn't funny either.

I do wonder sometimes if someone else had come out with "this joke" rather than this Rock guy, how would it have been perceived then?

Bottom line for me though is he overstepped it.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

i suspect he didn't initially get the joke and laughed along with the audience ......

Exactly this.  People will laugh through habit of laughing and not necessarily process what they've heard until they've run it back through their head.  This is the case here imo.  

2 hours ago, frakenfox said:

Will Smith may have initially laughed (who knows why? Thicker skinned!?) but Jada is instantly clearly not impressed. It wasn't a good joke under the circumstances, and I can see why offense was taken. For me, it was poor taste at least and bordering on worse, regardless of their relationship issues and the public nature thereof or otherwise (I've no idea about that)

So 'edgy' comedian hides behind "it's a joke" shocker. I know it's par for the course for Oscar presenters to take the piss out of celebs, to make these edgey gags without expecting comeback, but that don't mean they're fair game for any remark.

pretty sure Ricky Gervais has said much worse when presenting award shows..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frakenfox said:

if you watch it again, there appears to be a moment where his demeanor changes and it’s almost like his jaw tightens up and he tries to force the laugh/ smile  because, well… that’s what you are supposed to do right?  As soon as he sees how upset his wife is, it definitely triggers him..

So good, I'm quoted twice ;)

Yes, definitely, Will Smith's response changes from his initial reaction. Maybe that's because whilst he's supposed to laugh at such jokes, he sees Jada and realises that she's been hurt by it. And that's not on, she's off limits. Certainly, that seems the gist of his comments after slapping Rock.

At the risk of over thinking this (and spending far too much time on it lol ) it wasn't even a joke as such. I certainly don't think it was a scripted one, it wouldn't have made the cut if it were that - because it's not funny.  No, I reckon it was an off the cuff remark on seeing Jada's buzz cut - and it backfired. I reckon Rock doesn't make that quip if he knows the reason behind the hair cut.