Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-60930670

How do we feel about a single offensive tweet meeting the "custody threshold"?

Is it worth having a law against sending grossly offensive communications? If it is, what should be the limit of the punishment?  Should there be zero chance, regardless of how offensive the communication is, that the perpetrator receives a custodial sentence? Maybe it should be that way, maybe it shouldn't.

There are hundreds of cases every day for all manner of things where custodial thresholds are met and non-custodial sentences are dished out.  I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Bruce Willis retiring from acting after diagnoses or aphasia :(

an iconic actor that’s for sure… big shame… I hope he can get through this, for himself no one else..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Why isn't he being brought to justice, after his numerous controversies during his presidency?

Many reasons, chief among which sadly the guy still commands a certain power and influence, along with money, which allows him to gum up the process considerably.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 05:39, nnfox said:

Is it worth having a law against sending grossly offensive communications? If it is, what should be the limit of the punishment?  Should there be zero chance, regardless of how offensive the communication is, that the perpetrator receives a custodial sentence? Maybe it should be that way, maybe it shouldn't.

There are hundreds of cases every day for all manner of things where custodial thresholds are met and non-custodial sentences are dished out.  I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

I am with the free speech union on this one - the Police should not be involved in matters like this.  People have the right to be a complete **** on twitter, and others have the right to be offended.  No one has the right not to be offended.

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Looks like Leon Musk has bought a chunk of twitter, so we might see them stop editing out the right.

Oh.

I wasn't aware that removing Trump's platform in the aftermath of January 6th 2021 for incitement to riot (and possibly insurrection) was somehow problematic.

It's not like Shapiro, Taylor Greene and other right-wing luminaries have been kicked off in some kind of mass cull, is it?

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Oh.

I wasn't aware that removing Trump's platform in the aftermath of January 6th 2021 for incitement to riot (and possibly insurrection) was somehow problematic.

It's not like Shapiro, Taylor Greene and other right-wing luminaries have been kicked off in some kind of mass cull, is it?

I don't believe that pushing out the extremes is necessarily a good thing - it might make them more extreme, and it certainly puts them into even more of an echo chamber, while hiding them from the mainstream population.  I am happy if Trumps network fails, because I would never join it, and nor would most people, therefore it is segregating views.  I don't see how that is a good thing.

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

I don't believe that pushing out the extremes is necessarily a good thing - it might make them more extreme, and it certainly puts them into even more of an echo chamber, while hiding them from the mainstream population.  I am happy if Trumps network fails, because I would never join it, and nor would most people, therefore it is segregating views.  I don't see how that is a good thing.

And Trump should be in jail, but the fact he isn't surely has more to do with political expediency than the law.  If he seriously looks like making a comeback in a couple of years I think we will see him in court on a number of charges.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Sunlight being the best disinfectant may have been a good solution once upon a time and it's certainly the more ideal way to go, but I'm not sure how effective it is in this day and age where such people can reach a vast proportion of the world and argue that even the most fundamental facts are simply a conspiracy - and given their slick delivery, have people believe them.

Style wins over substance often enough to make this an issue. Perhaps siloing such people isn't the best way but then having the result of a lot of people buy into well-packaged fallacies over less well-delivered facts is hardly an optimal outcome in terms of the future either.

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

And Trump should be in jail, but the fact he isn't surely has more to do with political expediency than the law.  If he seriously looks like making a comeback in a couple of years I think we will see him in court on a number of charges.

This is possible, I guess we'll see.

28 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

they've tried on several occasions to impeach and prosecute him and yet they haven’t managed to do so. He’s as slippery as he his grotesque.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

they've tried on several occasions to impeach and prosecute him and yet they haven’t managed to do so. He’s as slippery as he his grotesque.

It's a fair example of how money and influence can turn such law as there is into a puzzle ring.

It's very rare that the very powerful actually end up accountable for what they've done, not when the inertia of the status quo is so strong.

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

He’s the 2024 candidate imo in case something very very drastic happens 

I see Ed Sheeran has won his copyright/plagiarism legal case: https://news.sky.com/story/ed-sheeran-shape-of-you-copyright-case-star-wins-trial-over-plagiarism-claim-by-sami-switch-12569290

Only fair if there's no evidence of him copying the other bloke's work and it merely involves a similarity between 2 simple refrains.

However, I do think the judge should have exercised a bit more discretion and sent both of the cvnts to the electric chair for inflicting such shite on the world in the first place.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61004089

This is a long awaited step into the 21st century, sometimes people just fall out of love nothing more nothing less yet 1 still had to be the bad party under the law

amazing.. no fault divorce has been in Oz since the mid 70s

• Like 1