Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Indeed. The very worrying thing (as shown by the article) is that Le Pen talks a good game; she can sound left (ish, head scarves comments aside) and that is very very appealing to many. People are feeling the pinch and giveaways are understandably enticing. That talk is just that though and lacks credibility. I hope the good people of France see through it, or as least realise that, even if elected, Le Pen will have next to no chance of making her talk a reality.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Niot very convincing sheep's clothing eiither - more like she's just coloured the tip of her nose in black with a marker pen and attached some black socks to a headband to resemble ears. If she gets elected (which is very unlikely), she won't get a majority in the French parlimentary elections in June so won't be able to pursue the vast majority of her policies, which contradict French law. French poilitics will reach an impasse, which may spread to the EU. The biggest impact she's likely to have will therefore be to thwart policymaking in Europe rather than impose any new policies of her own.

4 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I'll never get why vards when for her, she's not even fit 

I think truly falling in love with someone is about more than just looks, it's also about personality, intellect, humour. I have absolutely no doubt that Mrs Vards has all that in bucket loads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bovril said:

I think truly falling in love with someone is about more than just looks, it's also about personality, intellect, humour. I have absolutely no doubt that Mrs Vards has all that in bucket loads. 

We don't know her personally so we can't judge her. 

But I know what you mean.

Reminds me of Katy Price in that respect.

18 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Used to think women who were a little crazy were interesting.

I know what you mean. Back in the day (40+ years ago) I wasn't interested in the "run of the mill" girls I met. I was drawn to a challenge, not sexually but intellectually. Never worked out, probably because they were a little to "intellectual" to the point of being a little crazy and I realised I was a bit more down to earth.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I've fallen in love with someone who probably has a personality disorder before so I can't really judge. I'm definitely avoiding high conflict people in future though. Used to think women who were a little crazy were interesting.

Positive correlation between attractiveness and insanity most of the time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bovril said:

She's a Liverpool fan so she's the best at all those.

5 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I've fallen in love with someone who probably has a personality disorder before so I can't really judge. I'm definitely avoiding high conflict people in future though. Used to think women who were a little crazy were interesting.

All women are crazely interesting for men...

And we men are crazely interested in whether they do, or whether they dont ,But never interested in the why...

Only Why ...Why dont  they understand me..!!

The biggest mystery to both is neither Partner cant even give a straight answer...to    "  yeh but what did I do wrong",

The Woman strength is knowing all offside spectrums:-

Something undefinable that sends their man uncontrollably crazy when following his favourite pasttime..

If a female Football fan then Offside :- Proves that men are easily  frustrated & cant make a straight decision in their lives, no matter how important,

and find it easy to Blame others including the pidgeon on the roof..

Happy marriage..just accept & Dont even try to give a thought or an opinion on any of the above.

• Like 1

I know its been done to death on here but latest round of reports with the quoted figures just makes you shake your head and say why are they such ostriches.

“Guns became the leading cause of death among children and teens in 2020, killing more people ages 1 to 19 in the U.S. than vehicle crashes, drugs overdoses or cancer. 

More than 4,300 1-19yr olds died of firearm-related injuries that year — a 29 percent increase from 2019
In 2020 alone, more than 45,000 Americans died at the end of a barrel of a gun, wherther by homicide or suicide, more than any other year on record. The figure represents a 25% increase from five years prior, and a 43% increase from 2010.”

That 45,000 figure is the equivalent of the entire population of Hinckley dying in 2020 and that trend is going up so let’s say the entire population of Clayton on Sea in 2021 then Kidderminster in 2022.

I get the 2nd amendment, the money, it’s not the gun it’s the user blah blah etc etc I’m not even suggesting do away entirely just govern it stricter, why does Billy Bob need to walk around the mall with a Smith n Wesson on his hip in plain view, concealed or otherwise.
Why can’t he just have it locked away in a gun club where he can go book it out and shoot it to his hearts content within their premises and book it back in again once the juices subside.

And all because a centuries old piece of paper says they are allowed to

I remember the days when an old piece of paper said male or female on a birth certificate & same sex marriages weren’t allowed  & how a piece of paper was changed to include marital rape (1991) all centuries old past laws but all changed to move with the times and common sense, yet still they continue with it’s our right.

28 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I know its been done to death on here but latest round of reports with the quoted figures just makes you shake your head and say why are they such ostriches.

“Guns became the leading cause of death among children and teens in 2020, killing more people ages 1 to 19 in the U.S. than vehicle crashes, drugs overdoses or cancer. 

More than 4,300 1-19yr olds died of firearm-related injuries that year — a 29 percent increase from 2019
In 2020 alone, more than 45,000 Americans died at the end of a barrel of a gun, wherther by homicide or suicide, more than any other year on record. The figure represents a 25% increase from five years prior, and a 43% increase from 2010.”

That 45,000 figure is the equivalent of the entire population of Hinckley dying in 2020 and that trend is going up so let’s say the entire population of Clayton on Sea in 2021 then Kidderminster in 2022.

I get the 2nd amendment, the money, it’s not the gun it’s the user blah blah etc etc I’m not even suggesting do away entirely just govern it stricter, why does Billy Bob need to walk around the mall with a Smith n Wesson on his hip in plain view, concealed or otherwise.
Why can’t he just have it locked away in a gun club where he can go book it out and shoot it to his hearts content within their premises and book it back in again once the juices subside.

And all because a centuries old piece of paper says they are allowed to

I remember the days when an old piece of paper said male or female on a birth certificate & same sex marriages weren’t allowed  & how a piece of paper was changed to include marital rape (1991) all centuries old past laws but all changed to move with the times and common sense, yet still they continue with it’s our right.

And they have a majority of what is called "originalists" on the Supreme Court which means that old piece of paper is still interpreted with legal authority in the way "the Founding Fathers intended".

Oh, and Congress routinely blocks government-funded research into victims of gun crime.

• Sad 1

And what would your solution be?

Tell me how you put the genie back into the bottle.  Let me know the solution you have, that no one else has been able to come up with.

I for one would love to live in a country with no guns, but I just don’t see how this can be undone.

Edited by marbles

8 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Because you are looking a the issue the exact same way certain politicians in this country look at the issue - INCORRECTLY 

New York as some of, if not the toughest gun laws in the US. 

Yet, a man walks into a subway, throws teargas and begins shooting.

This individual was not a law abiding citizen.  He would not have been able to purchase a gun legally - yet he somehow acquired a gun. 

Your plan, just like the plan of all anti-gun politicians is to further restrict sales of guns to law abiding citizen.  That will not solve the problem, because they are not the ones shooting up schools and workplaces.

Arlington, Texas a man walked into a bar and immediately shot and killed the manager. He turned to shoot more, but was shot by someone with a concealed gun permit.

White Settlement, Texas a man stands up in a church and shoots two people.  He is shot by a church goer before he is able to kill anyone else.

How would restricting the guns that law abiding citizens can obtain, have helped in these two situations? 

The church shooter was deemed mentally ill, and therefore illegal to have a gun - yet, he still had one.  But your suggestion is  not to take the guns away from people like him, its to take them away from the two people who saved countless lives on those two days.  Makes sense to me :nono:

Now, for the record.

Yes, I own a gun.  However, I would gladly give it up if there was a way to stop the people who shouldn't have guns, from acquiring them.

Edited by marbles

3 hours ago, marbles said:

Because you are looking a the issue the exact same way certain politicians in this country look at the issue - INCORRECTLY 

New York as some of, if not the toughest gun laws in the US. 

Yet, a man walks into a subway, throws teargas and begins shooting.

This individual was not a law abiding citizen.  He would not have been able to purchase a gun legally - yet he somehow acquired a gun. 

Your plan, just like the plan of all anti-gun politicians is to further restrict sales of guns to law abiding citizen.  That will not solve the problem, because they are not the ones shooting up schools and workplaces.

Arlington, Texas a man walked into a bar and immediately shot and killed the manager. He turned to shoot more, but was shot by someone with a concealed gun permit.

White Settlement, Texas a man stands up in a church and shoots two people.  He is shot by a church goer before he is able to kill anyone else.

How would restricting the guns that law abiding citizens can obtain, have helped in these two situations? 

The church shooter was deemed mentally ill, and therefore illegal to have a gun - yet, he still had one.  But your suggestion is  not to take the guns away from people like him, its to take them away from the two people who saved countless lives on those two days.  Makes sense to me :nono:

Now, for the record.

Yes, I own a gun.  However, I would gladly give it up if there was a way to stop the people who shouldn't have guns, from acquiring them.

But at the same time your looking at it like a gun owner and only see ,and you quote, the terror and the need to defend.

As you say and i concede the bad will find a gun from somewhere just as they will here in the UK but generally these won’t affect the general public it’s mainly gang related.

The difference is the amount of guns readily available in the US they are sold in supermarkets and hung on walls like everyday items so when someone is having an off day they pick up and lash out with a gun, the school shooting type incidents by students, work related grievances bar brawls that end up with deadly consequence because a gun is to hand.

Again these are isolated incidents, I’m more concerned about the multitude of everyday accidents up and down the US with teenagers accidentally killing a friend whilst mucking about with a gun:

Oct 2021 16yr old in Philly accidentally kills his 17yr friend in the basement of his house.

July 2021 a 15yr old in Salt Lake City accidentally kills his 13yr old friend in a church car park

Jan 2019 a 15yr old in Georgia whilst in a shed with 4 mates accidentally kills his 17yr old friend then whilst other friends call 911 he turns the gun on himself through fear and guilt.

Mar 2022 a 3yr old boy (three) in Chicago accidentally shoots and kills his mum in the car in a supermarket car park

These and probably hundreds like these weren’t acts of terror or acts brought on by mental illness they were total accidents brought on by the fact guns were to hand, surely you can see the correlation between these type of needless incidents and guns.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 4

@BKLFox

I understand and agree with what your saying, but as I asked - what’s the solution?

They can eliminate gun manufacturers, but there are already too many available.

They can try to take them from people who legally own them - but how do you think that will turn out?

What is the answer?  I’m a proponent of much stricter prison sentences for offenses involving guns.  Release non violent offenses and build more prisons - I know that won’t sit well with most on here, but I’ve heard no viable alternative solutions.

I think most gun owners only have them out of fear.  They don’t hunt, or probably even go to the range (I don’t hunt because I don’t believe in killing animals for sport.  I do go to the range) They have them “just in case”.  

With that being said, how do you make people feel safe?

Certainly not by releasing repeat offenders, or going easy on violent criminals.

As for the accidental shootings.  I worry about going down this path because of how it may sound - but the responsibility falls on the parents.  Plain and simple.  

Edited by marbles