Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

4 hours ago, MPH said:

Firstly let me say I do not own a handgun. I never have. I own a hunting rifle - deer, wild Turkeys, that kind of thing… but anyway…

But when the discussion of guns come up here in North Carolina I here several repeated arguments..

Firstly  a lot of people believe that the right to bare  arms is  enshrined in the constitution.  The constitution is something that is pretty much untouchable even by federal law. I think  you need a two thirds majority in the senate/ congress to amend the constitution and that would mean 1/2 of elected republican representatives voting against gun rights. That will never happen. Bare in mind also that there are some more centrist democrats who would also vote against limiting gun rights.

one of main arguments I hear is that if you suddenly ban guns the only people who you stand a chance of taking guns from are those who own them legally and for self defense reasons. There IS a massive gang culture  problem in  the states and people I have spoken to believe that if you ban guns  gangs are not going to shrug theirs shoulders and say “ oh well  “ and hand over their guns and if ‘good honest’  people cannot carry a gun to defend themselves and gangs know that, then you will see a massive upturn in gun crime.

and thirdly I am often told that the reason why Mexican gangs bring so many drugs across the border is because that’s what makes them the most money. If you make gun ownership illegal  or it is curtailed then suddenly there’s a lot more money to be made from bringing guns over the border.. at the moment to carry a hand gun you have to have a license and go through a police check.. you make these guns illegal then all these guns coming over the border will slip silently into criminal Hands and because they won’t  be registered the police won’t have a clue where any of them are.

It DOES seem like banning guns will be an impossible job. Maybe  better gun regulations is the way to go. 

Currently there’s no limit as to how many hand guns or high powered rifles someone can own. Why does someone need more than 1? I know people who have 10+ How many hands do you have?  My neighbors had their cars broken into a couple of years ago. Their GunS were taken from their cars that they were left in overnight. Why are people allowed to do that? Some people leave a gun at night on their bedside cabinet.. fair enough self defense I suppose but then they wake up and leave it there and go to work. Someone breaks in and poof gone and now it’s In criminal hands. Why are unattended guns not locked up? That’s a doable regulation right there. Regular mental health suitability checks with a counselor. Tighter restrictions on mental health assessments before allowing someone to own a gun as well.

there’s so many safer regulations they can do and I think that would be a better  way to go..

The constitution can be amended.  It’s totally happened before.

legally requiring guns to be either carried or locked away would be a start.  Gun safe in the car or home.  Carrying means that, not loose gun in a handbag.  If you want it it’s in a holster.

clearly no one needs a semi auto rifle.  Ban them.  If someone is convicted of any crime at all, take their guns and ban them for life.  Illegal gun ownership = jail time and a $10k fine.

carrying a gun at a educational institution = jail time.  

there are things that could be done.

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't even use Twitter but I'd be seriously concerned about the validity of free speech and the message that could be pushed covertly if Elon Musk buys the thing. 

Absolute garbage human being. 

if he takes control and changes... then i see Myspace repeated...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-newscorp-myspace-idUSTRE75S6D720110629

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

legally requiring guns to be either carried or locked away would be a start.  Gun safe in the car or home.  Carrying means that, not loose gun in a handbag.  If you want it it’s in a holster.

clearly no one needs a semi auto rifle.  Ban them.  If someone is convicted of any crime at all, take their guns and ban them for life.  Illegal gun ownership = jail time and a $10k fine.

yes it can be done but as mentioned you need a 2 thirds majority and on this issue you won’t get that..

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

this is a conversation I have had recently and  the response I got back was that “you can see just by what’s happening in Ukraine so to why Americans will never give up their guns”.

Honestly, I feel like for someone Americans they are itching to be involved in another war to show how strong and powerful they are..

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

this is a conversation I have had recently and  the response I got back was that “you can see just by what’s happening in Ukraine so to why Americans will never give up their guns”.

Honestly, I feel like for someone Americans they are itching to be involved in another war to show how strong and powerful they are..

It's a truth that this is at least in part a mentality issue regarding glorifying violence (rather than seeing it as a necessity which one should perhaps feel bad about) rather than just the guns themselves.

And that also goes back to the culture of individualism so prevalent there, which is another can of worms.

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's a truth that this is at least in part a mentality issue regarding glorifying violence (rather than seeing it as a necessity which one should perhaps feel bad about) rather than just the guns themselves.

And that also goes back to the culture of individualism so prevalent there, which is another can of worms.

personally I think the constitution can shoulder the blame for so many things that happen here because as you say it’s teaching Americans that the world is all about them. It’s their world, they are the government and even glorifying events such as the Boston tea party teaches them that if they don’t like  what the government does, they have just insurrect against them.  They believe that the constitution is all about personal freedom and that no one has the right to take it from them. And that’s  one of the reasons it was formed in the first place was to escape a controlling government and that’s another reason people tell me they’ll never give up their guns.. so that the government can never truly control them. If I had a dollar for every time I heard the phrase “ you can take my gun when you take it from my cold dead fingers “ . Kind of chilling really.

Edited by MPH

Thing is the yanks take the whole second ammendment completely out of context lol. They're the same countries that reprehands workers or liberation movements globally and yet they take that article literally lol. It's meant to be in case of serious threats which the US doesn't truly have. The biggest threat to world peace besides Russia and China is the USA clearly. They have their dirty hands everywhere 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I don't even use Twitter but I'd be seriously concerned about the validity of free speech and the message that could be pushed covertly if Elon Musk buys the thing. 

Dangerous narcissist IMHO, and far too rich and powerful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Dangerous narcissist IMHO, and far too rich and powerful.

He's an absolute loon and his cult of personality is ridiculous. He's a silver spoon rich kid who buys up other people's IP to pass himself off as a genius. He's about as "real" as Trump but he's got a similar following that absolutely lap it all up and probably just as fragile an ego. 

I see a LOT of parallels in the two of them to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

He's an absolute loon and his cult of personality is ridiculous. He's a silver spoon rich kid who buys up other people's IP to pass himself off as a genius. He's about as "real" as Trump but he's got a similar following that absolutely lap it all up and probably just as fragile an ego. 

I see a LOT of parallels in the two of them to be honest. 

The way he seems to be able to talk the market up and down, presumably so that he can buy and sell at profit is disgusting. That sort of thing is supposed to be illegal.

On the above, I just wish that there was a space company run by a less objectionable person doing more of what needs to be done so I could write the guy off entirely.

NB. The FAA and an army of NIMBY's getting in the way aside.

Edited by leicsmac

27 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

thats the second round though isn’t it? Not the actual presidential poll?

I understand she got 42% in the presidential poll which should definitely ring some alarm bells..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MPH said:

thats the second round though isn’t it? Not the actual presidential poll?

I understand she got 42% in the presidential poll which should definitely ring some alarm bells..

I thought this was th final...interesting that more abstained than supported LePen... say s a lot about the distaste for Macron, rather than the support for LePen... but, i dont claim any real knowledge of french politics :)

12 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I thought this was th final...interesting that more abstained than supported LePen... say s a lot about the distaste for Macron, rather than the support for LePen... but, i dont claim any real knowledge of french politics :)

yes it’s quite intriguing to see so many abstain but then a swing vote to MLP. Sounds like she played a blinder and picked on peoples  fears over their economy.

it’s possible that Macrons support for Ukraine  ( and it’s been quite impressive actually) might have saved his bacon.  And that’s lovely to see -  people choosing to support a nation in need instead of focusing on their own economy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61222470

Discussed earlier here but seems it's all formally agreed. 

The credit he had in the bank for how he's progressed SpaceX and Tesla as companies will lay shattered and broken by this frankly sinister acquisition.

Am I the only one seeing a bond character??

was a long time ago ?  The fella based in s e asia who was a ‘murdoch type ‘. Musk seems more akin to that guy ….

On 25/04/2022 at 04:05, Finnegan said:

Okay, I’m sorry but Twitter has not been about free speech for awhile.  

Your comment actually reminds me of a twitter employee  parody I saw on YouTube

”we can’t let free speech on our free speech platform” lolololol

As for “absolute garbage human being”, guess you forgot all about the good he’s done, and continues to do for the environment.  

Edited by marbles

24 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Am I the only one seeing a bond character??

was a long time ago ?  The fella based in s e asia who was a ‘murdoch type ‘. Musk seems more akin to that guy ….

Elliot "delicious" Carver?

You want the right kind of free speech.

I'm not a twitter user so not familiar with it really, not having first hand experience etc. Equally, I know little about Musk. I thought he had Asperger's or something so tend to view his actions and statements partly through that lens.

I believe he's a 'hands on' kinda guy rather just a couch lounging investor but as I also believe that a good deal of the purchase price has come from such sorts, and they'll want to see a return on investment, it's going to be interesting to see in which direction this goes. 

I kinda sense a sort of irony somewhere in this deal.

Edited by frakenfox

11 minutes ago, frakenfox said:

You want the right kind of free speech.

I get what you’re saying, but let me ask - who decides which kind is the right kind?

Free speech is a tricky subject. 
It means you have the right to express your opinion.

However, certain people (Alex Jones) have pushed the envelope too damn far.

Torn as I am saying this, if you’re giving one person the absolute right to express their opinion - you have to give it to everyone.

If not, it’s called censorship. Which can be even more dangerous than allowing someone to spew nonsense.

Edited by marbles

1 minute ago, marbles said:

I get what you’re saying, but let me ask - who decides which kind is the right kind?

That was kinda my meaning, there was intended irony in my remark.

There's a debate to had about what constitutes free speech, and I'm personally undecided though have my leanings, but I think it clear that there are different ideas in play as to what free speech is.

• Like 1

Twitter is already a cesspool, I do find it funny that the Tesla owners are the ones fuming about it. This reaction is kinda reminding me of the GB News launch, where without actually seeing it you'd think it was some batshit right wing station with Tommy Robinson live reporting himself going after migrants with a machete. When in actuality, it's just a tame news station with what you'd describe as right wing libertarian leanings. 

Twitter definitely needed a change, not sure if Musk is the ideal candidate but we'll actually have to see what he does, because if you think he's doing something drastic that will effect how much the company can bring in then you're barking up the wrong tree. He's used social media to continuously bump share price, increase his portfolio. Him buying it on the pretence of free speech is just another money making opportunity to him

Edited by The Horse's Mouth
  • Like 2