Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 minute ago, I am Rod Hull said:

Elon Musk tweets meme about America's political polarization as the left  goes farther left | Fox Business

Ah, yes, thank you Mr Musk for re-popularising that one.

The ascendancy of Trump, Bolsanaro, Orban, Erdogan etc, as well as the near-success of those like Le Pen, has certainly proven that worldwide society, as a whole. has really lurched to the left in the last decade or so.

..................right?

NB. I would hope that the rights of everyone, minorities included, wasn't a partisan issue. But that's evidently not the case.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

The ascendancy of Trump, Bolsanaro, Orban, Erdogan etc, as well as the near-success of those like Le Pen, has certainly proven that worldwide society, as a whole. has really lurched to the left in the last decade or so.

..................right?

NB. I would hope that the rights of everyone, minorities included, wasn't a partisan issue. But that's evidently not the case.

There was an interesting article recently from the Berlin Political Science Manifesto (?) which highlighted how right/left political parties and personalities are, and how they relate to previous perceptions of left and right. 

thanks 

It was quite enlightening and worth a look. 

4 hours ago, Milo said:

There was an interesting article recently from the Berlin Political Science Manifesto (?) which highlighted how right/left political parties and personalities are, and how they relate to previous perceptions of left and right. 

thanks 

It was quite enlightening and worth a look. 

Thanks, do you have a link at all?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61288670

"This is the first time a president has attended this dinner in six years. It's understandable, we had a horrible plague followed by two years of Covid,"

"Ever since you've come into office, things are really looking up. Gas is up, rent is up, food is up. Everything."

"[Biden's comments about Putin] was very, very upsetting to Russia. Until someone explained to them that none of the stuff Biden wants actually gets done."

Glad to see some good-hearted ribbing actually be acceptable in the corridors of the White House.

20 hours ago, leicsmac said:

..................right?

Elon Musk tweets meme about America's political polarization as the left  goes farther left | Fox Business

On 30/04/2022 at 13:35, I am Rod Hull said:

I think amongst left wing culture and people (the governments have stayed pretty consistent in all honesty Biden and Obama politically are almost identical) there is a section that has gone much further left (leftists I used to know 10 years ago being fairly moderate now are actual chairman Mao apologists for example) but to say the right hasn't gone much more extreme either is just a lie. I can list many positions that would have been considered extreme by the average right winger 15 years ago. Furthermore, I would argue the right has gone much further extreme. 

Most of the right especially in the USA now openly believe in idiotic ideas like Qanon (an insane conspiracy theory that believed Trump was a messiah and would bring back JFK jr from the dead) and the Trump election capitol riots fiasco where over 40% of Americans believed the election was rigged with no evidence.

The mass Covid denial that ended up killing people. The climate change denial amongst the more extreme and even amongst the right wing that doesn't deny climate change they don't seem to want to do anything about it.

The whole belief in the Great Reset conspiracy that thinks we are all going to be microchipped and controlled.

The Great replacement theory that thinks Muslims are being bought over from the Middle East specifically to replace Europeans and get rid of white people. 

Then there was the whole Brexit lies fiasco where amongst many lies the claim on that bus advert said that we would give 330 million a year to the NHS, the claim that Turkey would join the EU. We have also had Boris and his party being the most corrupt in my living memory.

The right has somehow managed to make itself look much more insane than even the most extreme left wing people I have ever met or seen in the media.

Then you also have the rise of actual Neo Nazis across Europe. Which is just flat out terrifying.

With the left even if you argue the average leftist person is more extreme the governments have stayed pretty consistent while the right wing governments have become much worse. The likes of Trump, Johnson, Bolsanaro and Orban. Have all been much more extreme and corrupt than their right wing predecessors. 

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61301911

Fair for Amazon to do this...but what has it come to that in a "civilised" country it is necessary in the first place?

Yes this is important, they employ over a million people in the US.  I expect over time they will locate more of those people in more progressive parts of the USA.

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes this is important, they employ over a million people in the US.  I expect over time they will locate more of those people in more progressive parts of the USA.

Agreed.

But perhaps some parts of the US should get their collective heads around the idea of actually having women's rights to bodily autonomy, you know, this being the year 2022 in a supposedly advanced nation. Then this wouldn't be necessary.

On the above topic...early indication has it that the Supreme Court is going to overturn Roe v Wade.

Backwards repressive ignominy, but not really surprising - Trump having his pick of Supreme Court judges for four years was always likely going to open the door to this.

Women's rights to be ignored unless and until they can be used as a tool for having a go at LGBT people, evidently - again, not suprising.

32 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

On the above topic...early indication has it that the Supreme Court is going to overturn Roe v Wade.

Backwards repressive ignominy, but not really surprising - Trump having his pick of Supreme Court judges for four years was always likely going to open the door to this.

Women's rights to be ignored unless and until they can be used as a tool for having a go at LGBT people, evidently - again, not suprising.

Roe v Wade: Leaked US Supreme Court opinion suggests abortion law repeal - BBC News

Yes.  Sadly not a surprise, and will lead to more division between states.

Sorry @Fightforever

When you’re on the far left, you overlook the left extremist to focus on the right.

Same with the far right.

Both ends of the spectrum are friggin insane.  Anyone who cannot see that, is very obviously too close to the extreme.

Edited by marbles

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Rumours that it wont be completely overturned - Roberts

Edit, but i have zero US Constitutional law expertise lol 

Edited by ozleicester

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

And on a similar topic from the other side of the world:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-61239732

Sometimes, humanity is deeply disappointing.

Amongst the insanity of that whole article - there is a legal category called "cruelty by husband or his relatives".  HIS RELATIVES!!! Unbelievable.

On another note, my wife isn't the best cook in the world, but I am pretty sure dinner would get worse if I start slapping her about for it.  

Edited by Jon the Hat

Re left v right (particularly in France) I read an interesting opinion piece, I thought in the Guardian but I can't now find it so I'll have to summarising badly.

The French results could be seen not so much as a traditional left v right alignment (and such divisions have been firm in France for yonks) but as urban v rural division, or educated v uneducated (and by that, I don't mean thick, I mean formally university educated etc), or a wage v salary even. Le Pen was popular, and indeed won, in many rural areas, outside of urban centres. Her 'cost of living' platform resonated with so many poorly paid rural/small town dwellers that they ignored the 'far right' label (indeed, rejected it) These people NEED their cars and travel hundreds of km per week, the petrol cost increases simply reignited the discontent. Le Pen saw the mood that rose and gave rise to the 'gilets jaunes' movement and she played to it. 

Macron largely appeased/smoothed over the disquiet back then but he would be wise to be aware that it's not gone away. Cholera might have beaten the plague this time around but Macron is not Mr Popularity.

The parliamentary elections will be very interesting and Macron could end up as a leader with limited effective power. I don't personally think that'll happen but I'll watch with interest, particularly to see how Melonchon's green alliance might do.

3 hours ago, frakenfox said:

Re left v right (particularly in France) I read an interesting opinion piece, I thought in the Guardian but I can't now find it so I'll have to summarising badly.

The French results could be seen not so much as a traditional left v right alignment (and such divisions have been firm in France for yonks) but as urban v rural division, or educated v uneducated (and by that, I don't mean thick, I mean formally university educated etc), or a wage v salary even. Le Pen was popular, and indeed won, in many rural areas, outside of urban centres. Her 'cost of living' platform resonated with so many poorly paid rural/small town dwellers that they ignored the 'far right' label (indeed, rejected it) These people NEED their cars and travel hundreds of km per week, the petrol cost increases simply reignited the discontent. Le Pen saw the mood that rose and gave rise to the 'gilets jaunes' movement and she played to it. 

Macron largely appeased/smoothed over the disquiet back then but he would be wise to be aware that it's not gone away. Cholera might have beaten the plague this time around but Macron is not Mr Popularity.

The parliamentary elections will be very interesting and Macron could end up as a leader with limited effective power. I don't personally think that'll happen but I'll watch with interest, particularly to see how Melonchon's green alliance might do.

Agreed with this, I’m of the left but Le Pen’s economic policies were far more appealing to me than Macron’s whereas a lot of her social policies felt abhorrent to me.