Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Agreed with this, I’m of the left but Le Pen’s economic policies were far more appealing to me than Macron’s whereas a lot of her social policies felt abhorrent to me. 

:yesyes: And therein lies the issue when people prioritise economic issues over social or scientific ones.

It's a very human thing to do, but...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

:yesyes: And therein lies the issue when people prioritise economic issues over social or scientific ones.

Given the current economic climate a lot of people don’t have the luxury to decide if they get to be ‘a little worse off’ for ‘the greater good’, it’s amazing to see Centrist Macron in France and Centrist Biden in the US not get this. Sure in both those countries and our own, Corbyn-esque mandates have failed, but the complete and utter lack of economic flair will be their downfall and bring about a lot worse governments down the line as a result. I fear the same out of a Starmer government at this point based on some of the noises coming out of Labour at the minute, so utterly terrified of not looking 100% electable across the aisle they’ll end up sitting on their hands, and they should they get elected they’ll have a lot of legacy issues from the current lot they’d inevitably get blamed for not sorting.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It’s just a flaw of democratic systems in general right? If I were French I’d have voted for Melenchon but they had two choices essentially. In a final run off, I think my moral compass would’ve overcome my economic thought process but I cant blame people who went the other way especially during such a difficult economic period. 

Edited by Lionator

47 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Given the current economic climate a lot of people don’t have the luxury to decide if they get to be ‘a little worse off’ for ‘the greater good’, it’s amazing to see Centrist Macron in France and Centrist Biden in the US not get this. Sure in both those countries and our own, Corbyn-esque mandates have failed, but the complete and utter lack of economic flair will be their downfall and bring about a lot worse governments down the line as a result. I fear the same out of a Starmer government at this point based on some of the noises coming out of Labour at the minute, so utterly terrified of not looking 100% electable across the aisle they’ll end up sitting on their hands, and they should they get elected they’ll have a lot of legacy issues from the current lot they’d inevitably get blamed for not sorting.

25 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It’s just a flaw of democratic systems in general right? If I were French I’d have voted for Melenchon but they had two choices essentially. In a final run off, I think my moral compass would’ve overcome my economic thought process but I can blame people who went the other way especially during such a difficult economic period. 

I hear you both, just a couple of observations:

As per above, I understand people voting with their wallets. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't be held responsible for the non-economic consequences of a government like Le Pen that they voted in - and there would be consequences.

And the fear about something "much worse" coming down the line because Biden and Macron (among others) are too grey and centrist is salient too, but I wish there were a better choice at the present time than between them and the "worse" (as opposed to the "much worse"). The neofascists are already knocking on the door in a lot of places and in some places they've already been let in. There's no doubt the centrists need to move better on economic policy, but...

Edited by leicsmac
  • Haha 1

Oh, and Stateside this SC decision has the power to affect access to birth control as well as abortion.

So not only will women in red states be unable to access abortion where needed, they won't even be able to get (insured) birth control if they want/need to either - perhaps even where it's medically necessary.

Referring to the above, I'm sure it could get "much worse", but it's already looking pretty bad. And that's with a Dem President.

And it won't stop at Roe v Wade either. Obergefell v Hodges will be targetted for the same reasons.

I said this when Trump was first elected as a consequence of his presidency (being able to stack the Supreme Court).

20 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Surprise Surprise, BP's profits have risen 2 billion dollars in the first quarter. Wonder how that happened? 

It's almost like the corporations matter more than people

27 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The images of Dave Chapelle's "attacker" are exactly what should happen to people who try to pull a Will Smith. Dumb shits. 

I'm no doctor, but I'm fairly sure a human arm shouldn't be in this position...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

He'll probably sue and get a multi million dollar payout.

If the media reports that he was carrying a knife and a gun are accurate, I doubt it. In fact, he should probably count himself lucky that all he got was an injured arm.

Yeah well who is surprised, honestly.

Will Smith made it 'cool' to go on stage and just hit people when you feel like it with barely any repercussions. This will happen more and more. 

I see things like this and wonder if anyone does any sort of research before launching these ridiculous vanity projects, and then remember that just because there are lots of people who loudly claim that there needs to be more right wing media to counter the wokerati agenda or some bollocks they've read about in the right wing media of all places, they've not committed to actually consuming it, because they know deep down that tuning in is the very worst waste of their time:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/may/04/piers-morgan-ratings-dive-as-talktv-struggles-to-attract-viewers

8 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm no doctor, but I'm fairly sure a human arm shouldn't be in this position...

My first reaction... that looks alike a fracture dislocation of the right shoulder to me.lol

• Like 1