Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

G'won Pat

Tesco shopper's plea to bring back till staff

Pat McCarthy

A Tesco shopper is urging the supermarket to "stop replacing people with machines" after she struggled to use the store's self-service checkouts.

Pat McCarthy, 69, started a petition calling for more cashiers on tills because "you can't speak to a machine".

Wouldn't be so bad if the machines weren't absolute wank. UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA. It's my ****ing bags you infernal machine ffs. 

51 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Wouldn't be so bad if the machines weren't absolute wank. UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA. It's my ****ing bags you infernal machine ffs. 

"Are there any items you couldn't scan?"

"No." :angry:

*Replaces handset in cradle

"Are there any items you couldn't scan?"

"NO!:mad:

..."You've been specially selected to have some tired grumpy woman pull all your shopping out and delay you for five minutes."

4 hours ago, Innovindil said:

At the Tesco in Market Harborough (where the prices are higher than e.g. the Tesco in Syston), neither machine accepts cash payments and often only one till is manned. So all the saddos like me who still buy stuff with cash have to join a long queue to use the only open till, and at inflated prices. 

5 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Sri Lanka in serious economic distress.Down to it’s last dregs of petrol and defaulting on debts.Meanwhile the Dow Jones drops over 1100 points.The 7th biggest one day fall in it’s history.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Sri-Lanka-crisis/Sri-Lanka-meltdown-exposes-China-loan-policy-5-things-to-know

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Though it comes with the obvious caveat that talk is cheap and policy action is not (especially with combatting something this insidious and ingrained), this is a far cry from the last occupant of the White House, isn't it?

There's no way he writes anything on that account though, it's far too coherent 

3 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

There's no way he writes anything on that account though, it's far too coherent 

Still more coherent - and ethical - than the last occupant though, but I do see the point through the pisstaking.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Still more coherent - and ethical - than the last occupant though, but I do see the point through the pisstaking.

Wouldn't say more coherent that trump but you're probably bang on with the last one. Do feel for the yanks, their options the past two elections have probably been worse than ours and that's saying something 

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Wouldn't say more coherent that trump but you're probably bang on with the last one. Do feel for the yanks, their options the past two elections have probably been worse than ours and that's saying something 

On that I would unreservedly agree. Goodness only knows how it will all shape up in 2024. I fear to think.

Just now, leicsmac said:

On that I would unreservedly agree. Goodness only knows how it will all shape up in 2024. I fear to think.

You'd imagine if it's biden or Harris its going to be a repub win, based on approval ratings anyway. The Dems have really ****ed this up to no end 

5 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

You'd imagine if it's biden or Harris its going to be a repub win, based on approval ratings anyway. The Dems have really ****ed this up to no end 

I honestly think it depends on the Repub candidate. They get someone in the Bush pre-Iraq mould who isn't nuts/a clear neofascist enabler/ both of the above, then it's a probability. They go for someone like Tom Cotton...I just can't see enough floating voters going for that, not even under extreme economic pressure.

As always though, the wildcard is Trump himself. Personally I hope he's a convicted felon by then, as he should be, but assuming he's not I'm guessing he'll throw his hat in the ring and goodness only knows how that will play out.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I honestly think it depends on the Repub candidate. They get someone in the Bush pre-Iraq mould who isn't nuts/a clear neofascist enabler/ both of the above, then it's a probability. They go for someone like Tom Cotton...I just can't see enough floating voters going for that, not even under extreme economic pressure.

As always though, the wildcard is Trump himself. Personally I hope he's a convicted felon by then, as he should be, but assuming he's not I'm guessing he'll throw his hat in the ring and goodness only knows how that will play out.

I think before Ukraine I'd have said it's a slam dunk trump second term, but I think his seemingly pro russian stance won't fly with the middle ground at all, but he's got a lot of material to throw at biden to probably get round that. It's just going to be the case of who they put up cause they surely can't have biden in for another 4 years it would be suicide and based on approval figures for Harris I don't think she'd play well either. Desantis to me seems the best candidate for them to win the election but I'm unsure if he'll stand in trump's way

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think before Ukraine I'd have said it's a slam dunk trump second term, but I think his seemingly pro russian stance won't fly with the middle ground at all, but he's got a lot of material to throw at biden to probably get round that. It's just going to be the case of who they put up cause they surely can't have biden in for another 4 years it would be suicide and based on approval figures for Harris I don't think she'd play well either. Desantis to me seems the best candidate for them to win the election but I'm unsure if he'll stand in trump's way

Don't generally disagree, but I will comment that having someone in the White House who will in all likelihood abandon the US efforts to address climate change is also suicide, just (perhaps) a little slower.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Don't generally disagree, but I will comment that having someone in the White House who will in all likelihood abandon the US efforts to address climate change is also suicide, just (perhaps) a little slower.

Sure but the people who vote based on those issues aren't being swung either way they're voting Dems or green 

6 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Sure but the people who vote based on those issues aren't being swung either way they're voting Dems or green 

Personally, I would have thought critical food and water shortages and potentially catastrophic conflicts accompanying them would be everyone's business - Bible-thumping hot-blooded Repub voters included. But perhaps some folks don't think that far ahead.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Personally, I would have thought critical food and water shortages and potentially catastrophic conflicts accompanying them would be everyone's business - Bible-thumping hot-blooded Repub voters included. But perhaps some folks don't think that far ahead.

That's the issue, don't think this is set up to be an election that's based on the future it's more the here and now and how you manage through the current crisis, and the economy will the bigger red button issue.

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

That's the issue, don't think this is set up to be an election that's based on the future it's more the here and now and how you manage through the current crisis, and the economy will the bigger red button issue.

Then I would comment on the lack of foresight but yes, people are people.

However, assuming that it will be economics that is the case, I'm not sure how different the situation will be in 2024 to 2020 when Covid was going to town with a wrecking ball - and Biden won that one. Unless the idea is that people will simply vote for change when things are shit  - any change. Which is, sigh, possible.

It would be nice, every so often, for us meatsacks to listen to the rational human rather than the hindbrain ape - for the sake of survival in this particular time. I don't buy that we're not capable of it, not in the vast majority of circumstances anyway.