Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

9 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

MI5 agent used secret status to terrorise girlfriend https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61508520

As an aside, if anyone is interested in "spy stories", then I Spy is an interesting podcast, only about 30 mins and each episode is told by the actual people involved.

On 18/05/2022 at 23:44, Innovindil said:

Wouldn't be so bad if the machines weren't absolute wank. UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA. It's my ****ing bags you infernal machine ffs. 

I have found in Australia - were most of the retailers are managed by ex UK supermarket execs - if you ask them to open a till they will.  Me being quite outspoken I have asked them quite a lot.  I am not putting 100 items through a self checkout.  

10 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

MI5 agent used secret status to terrorise girlfriend https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61508520

What a nonsense headline.  The BBC are supposed to be better than this.  Not an MI5 agent at all.  A right wing nut job who they managed to get to be an intelligence source no doubt on the basis of threat of prosecution.  Had they known he was abusing his girlfriend you would like to think they would have cut ties.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Another one ?????

yep, it was on LBC last night and presenter Ian Dale stated his name was mentioned on social media.

4 hours ago, marbles said:

:ph34r:

Yeah, given the way the last time we crossed swords on this ended an edit is probably best for both of us tbh. It's abundantly clear where both of us stand on the matter, in any case.

But I do make no apologies whatsoever for the snark at what I see to be an obviously repressive and misogynistic act.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-61548531

And that's a line in the sand drawn with respect to Taiwan.

Let's really hope it doesn't come to that.

NB. The Chinese response is interesting...I think the Ukraine mention actually put them in something of a bind - they have to say "it's different" geopolitically in order to make their own plans appear legit, but at the same time by saying so they're implying that what Russia is doing *isn't* legit. Not a brilliant move for a party looking to stay at least onside with the Russians.

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-61548531

And that's a line in the sand drawn with respect to Taiwan.

Let's really hope it doesn't come to that.

NB. The Chinese response is interesting...I think the Ukraine mention actually put them in something of a bind - they have to say "it's different" geopolitically in order to make their own plans appear legit, but at the same time by saying so they're implying that what Russia is doing *isn't* legit. Not a brilliant move for a party looking to stay at least onside with the Russians.

The Chinese do not care about ‘staying onside with the Russians’.  their relationship is all one way. Russia needs china way more than the other way around - especially since the invasion. 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The Chinese do not care about ‘staying onside with the Russians’.  their relationship is all one way. Russia needs china way more than the other way around - especially since the invasion. 

That's all true.

However (and perhaps I'm reading too much into it all) it doesn't really do much for an appearance of solidarity between those two nations (and whoever else wants to take part) against the "Big Bad West/Nato".

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's all true.

However (and perhaps I'm reading too much into it all) it doesn't really do much for an appearance of solidarity between those two nations (and whoever else wants to take part) against the "Big Bad West/Nato".

You’re reading too much into it.  Neither the Chinese or the Russians give a sh1t …..

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You’re reading too much into it.  Neither the Chinese or the Russians give a sh1t …..

If that were totally true, then there would be no reason for the Chinese to take their position of "difference" and highly pointed neutrality on the whole Ukraine matter in the first place. They'd just say "Yeah, Ukraine is Russian and Taiwan is Chinese" (or say the opposite for the opposite effect.

In that lofty world of diplomacy, appearances, and face, matter, I think.