Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

She hasn't lost the right to speak freely and openly. 

She's always had that, still does, and always will.

She just never had and never will have the right or control to avoid consequence of what she says. 

It also doesn't erase the power for other women to speak up. It's not fair for her to assume that just because she spoke up that it would be an easy case for her to win. Maybe she should invest in better lawyers next time. 

Or maybe not lie, and use the media to try and destroy someone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

In California too, which is where she recorded that video of him assaulting cabinets  which she then edited and sold to TMZ…

Ahh yes mate, but she doesn’t know how to edit stuff. She told us that. But then she said she did, then didn’t again. It was very confusing, until I stepped on a bee. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, marbles said:

Too bad the organizations she pledged the 7 mill to can’t sue her for the money she never gave.

don’t worry, she won $2m damages and so she can start by giving that to them.

26 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Kuwait might well be right about it being illegal for the US embassy to tweet it though.  Not very diplomatic on a local level.

Do agree that it could well run foul of the local law.

But then if the law is an arse (which in this case it is, unless one is totally committed to the wildly unethical idea of treating LGBT folks like second-class human beings), then perhaps applying a little diplomatic nod to that isn't such a bad idea, even if it does rock the boat somewhat.

7 minutes ago, marbles said:

Actually, if tweeted from the embassy, it broke no laws.

I'm not entirely sure of the ins and outs of all that.

In any case, for me in this matter the law comes a distant second to the ethical principle anyway. Which is why I'm not a professional lawyer or a diplomat. :D

Just now, leicsmac said:

I'm not entirely sure of the ins and outs of all that.

In any case, for me in this matter the law comes a distant second to the ethical principle anyway. Which is why I'm not a professional lawyer or a diplomat. :D

I could be off - but I believe embassies are actually considered an extension of their home country.  Which means those are the laws that would be followed when on embassy soil.

52 minutes ago, marbles said:

I could be off - but I believe embassies are actually considered an extension of their home country.  Which means those are the laws that would be followed when on embassy soil.

You have a point there.  I guess they know this better than we do :)

37 minutes ago, MPH said:

Real shame this.

DF0C46DA-3AFC-4788-854B-501C322A795D.jpeg

So it isn't "home soil" but the local laws don't apply, then.

That makes it sound that the US can disregard the Kuwaiti laws and say what they like without legal consequence, then. Of course, there will be diplomatic squawking, no doubt.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Is this defamation again??

Personally I found his version of events credible and her version of events full of holes and thought he came over as authentic and her as manipulative and it seems a jury thought the same. All the people who support her seem to be doing so because they can't deal with a reality where an abusive woman pretended to be the victim and people like them enabled and defended her. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Personally I found his version of events credible and her version of events full of holes and thought he came over as authentic and her as manipulative and it seems a jury thought the same. All the people who support her seem to be doing so because they can't deal with a reality where an abusive woman pretended to be the victim and people like them enabled and defended her. 

Me too.

I mean, they both used their acting "skills" in giving their evidence but for me, Heard was just coming across as a highly strung, exploitative person as if no woman could be a perpetrator of domestic violence.

Mind you, $10,000,000 in damages is a bit much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Me too.

I mean, they both used their acting "skills" in giving their evidence but for me, Heard was just coming across as a highly strung, exploitative person as if no woman could be a perpetrator of domestic violence.

Mind you, $10,000,000 in damages is a bit much.

He lost his job on the Fantastic Beasts movies, which was reportedly 16mill.  So no, it’s actually not enough.

6 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Just like the Jussie Smollett defenders.  When will people learn that entertainers are not good role models

Just now, marbles said:

He lost his job on the Fantastic Beasts movies, which was reportedly 16mill.  So no, it’s actually not enough.

Fair enough. Not sure how he'll manage to get by without that 16mill. Actually only 6mill after the damages get paid. I wish him well.

• Haha 1

I just don’t see it that way @Finnegan

If anything, this case highlighted the problem with social media, public perception and the justice system.

In the past, when a woman came out and said “he did this too me” - the man was instantly judged and punished in the media.  
Would be nice if we lived in a world where people looked at the facts before jumping to conclusion.  Will we ever? No.  But maybe this case will make some take pause and think.

Honestly, if anyone did set back how victims are treated  - it’s Amber with her lying and fabricating evidence.

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

I think it depends on perspective @Finnegan

There's rarely more than one abuser in a relationship as abuse is about power and control. It doesn't matter if the person has some issues or toxic personality traits. I don't think it's a bad thing that Depp can be a survivor without having to be whiter than white. That's a problem for both genders. Obviously he's got issues. I hope he looks at himself a bit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I mean they're both pretty dreadful people you wouldn't want your friends or family getting involved with. 

I definitely wasn't "supporting" her at any point, she's a borderline psychopath with an extremely shady relationship history and some serious attachment problems. 

What bothers me isn't that she "lost", what bothers me is the waves of people who saw their relationship - and by extension plenty of other relationships - as binary, as black and white. The general consensus seems to be that she was more abusive than he was ergo that he is the victim and she is the abuser. 

Where as, ultimately, they're both horrendous, he's been extremely unpleasant and abusive to her even if you just take the things they don't deny or the times he's caught on video, on audio or on text being completely vile. 

Amber Heard's career is likely over and frankly I'm glad. She's completely hideous and doesn't deserve the privilege of fame and wealth. 

But it's a travesty that Johnny Depp will come out of this being elevated on to a pedestal as some sort of heroic survivor and that she's probably put the struggle against domestic abuse back years by giving the media more cause to suspect any other person that comes forward with accusations. 

The whole trial has been an absolute shit show and the very worst of Hollywood, two toxic and unpleasant people in a toxic and unpleasant relationship, with no idea how to love each other in a healthy and honest way, making a complete spectacle of themselves in public for the entertainment of the gawping masses. 

The whole thing has been the worst of Western popular culture. 

100% agree. They are both as bad as each other.

I hope she gets help, she clearly has some form of personality disorder. I have found the whole coverage of her in particular really distasteful though. This whole thing was pretty grim, I hated the constant latest daily clip of Depp playing to the crowd. The fact these things get broadcast is daft and it's hilarious this has gotten way more coverage than Ghislaine's trial

• Like 3