Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Maybe the 78th anniversary wasn't considered significant reason. 

I know you’re not condoning it’s omission, but when nonsense like Vardy vs Rooney or Depp vs Heard is rammed down our throats on every bulletin, I think the anniversary of D-Day is always highly significant by comparison. 

1 minute ago, TrentFox said:

I know you’re not condoning it’s omission, but when nonsense like Vardy vs Rooney or Depp vs Heard is rammed down our throats on every bulletin, I think the anniversary of D-Day is always highly significant by comparison. 

I certainly take your point. I think it's important to remember such things, but there is a real problem in that some people really hanker after the glorious (to some) past and there is such a fetish for Empire etc. After all, Johnson is almost erect over the Ukraine war and his pitiful desire to be Churchill does not come from a good place. 

There is a whole other conversation to be had about what news we are fed that is separate, in my mind. Remember D-day, absolutely, but also remember the slaughter and sacrifice that the common man endured, whilst the rich of the day stayed safe. 

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

After all, Johnson is almost erect over the Ukraine war and his pitiful desire to be Churchill does not come from a good place. 

Think that's a bit harsh Peaky ...  I think he has shown other Europeans how to react to the situation in Ukraine and is leading from the front.  When you look at how Macron is conducting himself and how the Germans have reneged on their promises, it's no wonder we are held in such high regard by the Ukrainian people.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Remember D-day, absolutely, but also remember the slaughter and sacrifice that the common man endured, whilst the rich of the day stayed safe. 

Same here ..  a bit of a sweeping statement ...  the common man and the more 'well off' all joined up together and laid down their lives for King and country. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Think that's a bit harsh Peaky ...  I think he has shown other Europeans how to react to the situation in Ukraine and is leading from the front.  When you look at how Macron is conducting himself and how the Germans have reneged on their promises, it's no wonder we are held in such high regard by the Ukrainian people.

Same here ..  a bit of a sweeping statement ...  the common man and the more 'well off' all joined up together and laid down their lives for King and country. 

We'll have to agree to disagree, I'm afraid. 

14 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Yes. Think of the huge number of junior officers that got the chop in both world wars. Many of these came from the so called gentry.  Back to the current situation. I still think Johnson should go. 

32 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

We'll have to agree to disagree, I'm afraid. 

There's a world of difference between WW2 and the current conflict in Ukraine, politically, technologically and socially. Boris would like everyone to think there isn't because he can then cosplay Churchill.

That's about it, really.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

There's a world of difference between WW2 and the current conflict in Ukraine, politically, technologically and socially. Boris would like everyone to think there isn't because he can then cosplay Churchill.

That's about it, really.

Sorry Mac I’m not sure what point you are making ..  all I’m saying is that Boris is doing a great job of supporting Ukraine ..  especially when compared to those planks in France and Germany. Nothing more nothing less Credit where it’s due. (Sigh). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Yes. Think of the huge number of junior officers that got the chop in both world wars. Many of these came from the so called gentry.  

100%. I thought that was obvious to most people ..  apparently not. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Sorry Mac I’m not sure what point you are making ..  all I’m saying is that Boris is doing a great job of supporting Ukraine ..  especially when compared to those planks in France and Germany. Nothing more nothing less Credit where it’s due. (Sigh). 

Then allow me to clarify.

Whether or not he's doing a great job on supporting Ukraine is pretty difficult to tell right now IMO - we'll only know how great it is when all of this is over.

And putting that aside for a moment, even if the "right" thing is being done then it's reasonably self-evident that he's doing it for the wrong reasons, viz. personal ideation and gratification. If that wasn't the case, he'd be throwing similar weight behind the many other warfare-related bad times happening around the world right now. This one is just big news because it's in Europe and presents him with an opportunity to carve out a "legacy" as a "wartime leader".

If that's overly cynical...well, fair enough. It's also accurate.

The UK has contributed to the war effort but done poorly in accommodating refugees. Starmer would likely have equaled him on the first measure and handled the second one better. He's also been very critical of how much dirty money is in the UK while Johnson's party has turned a blind eye to that for a long time.

I just feel that Johnson has managed to not completely **** things up and that this doesn't equal greatness. Surely it's wrong to talk about leading from the front without mentioning Zelensky? Personally I think the Germans have done okay, reversing doctrine that has held since the end of WW2 was a big step. The issue of reliance of Russian gas is not the current chancellor's fault. Poland has made a huge contribution too. 

Personally I don't feel like celebrating D-Day because there's a war going on right now.  

So many interesting points in this thread about the Depp/Heard case. I found the whole trial really fascinating.

I watched a lot of commentary around it and the most interesting was from female abuse survivors who were utterly disgusted at what Heard was doing. Not just making it harder for women to come forward but literally stealing real survivors stories to use as her own. Her testimony was so poor, with no consistency to her stories and some things seemingly made up on the fly and slipped in without any context or evidence. She dropped in a brand new claim towards the end of the trial saying that someone threatened to put her baby in a microwave which is something Rebekah Vardy had claimed in court the same week!

Something that seems to have been overlooked which is quite an important question IMO - if we're to believe Depp's full account, which the jury fully did - Johnny Depp was one of the wealthiest and most famous men in the world, his own employees around him 24/7, yet Amber Heard managed to abuse him physically and emotionally; throwing a bottles at him which caused him to lose part of his finger and nearly dying of MRSA, isolate him from his family and bring her friends to surround him rent-free... Then after the marriage went south because of her behaviour, went public with a bruise and accused him of assault. Then carrying on the lie for years, culminating in accusations of sexual assault in the Op-Ed he sued her for. It was only after six years of public shaming and losing work that he was able finally take her to court and hold her accountable.

How many men without the means and prominence of Johnny Depp does this happen to? Dr Curry testified to this being a tactic of female IPV perpetrators; to accuse their victims as a shield. Obviously we should be supporting female victims (I've been privileged to have had a number of female friends comfortable enough to share their stories of abuse with me) and holding violent men accountable, but the response in some quarters to this trial seems to disregard Depp being a victim entirely and upholding Heard as the victim still despite the truth revealed in the trial.

It just seems to be a cultural blindspot that really doesn't sit well with me. 

Furthermore, the UK High Court judgement on this matter needs some serious looking into. Heard's already facing charges of perjury in Australia; she lied repeatedly in the US case and News International won here because the judge felt she was a credible witness. I really hope someone is investigating what went wrong with that case.

16 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Christopher Hitchens, about the 2006 Danish cartoons:

When Dr. Samuel Johnson had finished his great lexicography, the first real English dictionary, he was visited by various delegations of people to congratulate him including a delegation of London's Respectable Womanhood, who came to his parlour in Fleet Street and said “Doctor we congratulate you on your decision to exclude all indecent words from your dictionary”. And he said “ladies I congratulate you on your persistence in looking them up”.

I think anyone who understands that story will see through the sinister piffle we were just treated to just now.

If people are determined to be offended if they will climb up on the ladder balancing it precariously on their own toilet system to be upset by what they see through the neighbours bathroom window there's nothing you can do about it.

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Christopher Hitchens, about the 2006 Danish cartoons:

When Dr. Samuel Johnson had finished his great lexicography, the first real English dictionary, he was visited by various delegations of people to congratulate him including a delegation of London's Respectable Womanhood, who came to his parlour in Fleet Street and said “Doctor we congratulate you on your decision to exclude all indecent words from your dictionary”. And he said “ladies I congratulate you on your persistence in looking them up”.

I think anyone who understands that story will see through the sinister piffle we were just treated to just now.

If people are determined to be offended if they will climb up on the ladder balancing it precariously on their own toilet system to be upset by what they see through the neighbours bathroom window there's nothing you can do about it.

I don’t think this is the same thing, is it ? As the Danish cartoons ? Especially not when you consider the statements made in recent days. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-61753864

January 6th committee. Not that it will change many minds, but it will be good to have it all as a matter of record.

"The panel did not “spend one minute studying the reason that people went to Washington DC in massive numbers,” [Trump] said, adding that the crowd in Washington DC on 6 January, 2021 “represented the greatest movement in the history of our country to make America great again”.

That's certainly an interesting way of looking at it, considering the claims of fraud were comprehensively investigated and dismissed as groundless and the storming of the Capitol Building was a reasonably obvious attempt to overturn the results of a free and fair election. Still, it's good to hear him say that he cares nothing for democracy when it gets in the way of his own power. Hopefully enough people will remember that if he runs in 2024.

On 07/06/2022 at 23:34, LiberalFox said:

The UK has contributed to the war effort but done poorly in accommodating refugees. Starmer would likely have equaled him on the first measure and handled the second one better. He's also been very critical of how much dirty money is in the UK while Johnson's party has turned a blind eye to that for a long time.

I just feel that Johnson has managed to not completely **** things up and that this doesn't equal greatness. Surely it's wrong to talk about leading from the front without mentioning Zelensky? Personally I think the Germans have done okay, reversing doctrine that has held since the end of WW2 was a big step. The issue of reliance of Russian gas is not the current chancellor's fault. Poland has made a huge contribution too. 

Personally I don't feel like celebrating D-Day because there's a war going on right now.  

The UK started off doing poorly accommodating refugees, but I think caught up pretty quickly and is now doing fine.  Most Ukrainians understandably don't want to move  that far away from home and hence are still in Eastern and Central Europe.

On supporting the Ukraine politically Boris has been all over it, and militarily we have been much more positive than any major military other than the US  As you say Poland have been brilliant.  Germany have talked a good talk but delivered no heavy weapons at all - I was encouraged initially but they have to follow up the words with action.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

The UK started off doing poorly accommodating refugees, but I think caught up pretty quickly and is now doing fine.  Most Ukrainians understandably don't want to move  that far away from home and hence are still in Eastern and Central Europe.

On supporting the Ukraine politically Boris has been all over it, and militarily we have been much more positive than any major military other than the US  As you say Poland have been brilliant.  Germany have talked a good talk but delivered no heavy weapons at all - I was encouraged initially but they have to follow up the words with action.  

Well said Hat.