Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

5 hours ago, nnfox said:

How many prisons would you have to build if the custodial bar was so low that you threw everyone in jail for being nearly twice over the limit on their first conviction?

Not just being twice over the limit though is it, he's drove a clearly dangerous vehicle for at least 10 miles.

14 minutes ago, Soup said:

...is there anything about this story other than the feelgood "little guy sticks it to the big bad government" factor that is worth the "well done"?

I'm just thinking that runaway nitrate pollution in the name of short-term financial gain (even for the aforementioned "little guy") isn't all that laudable.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...is there anything about this story other than the feelgood "little guy sticks it to the big bad government" factor that is worth the "well done"?

I'm just thinking that runaway nitrate pollution in the name of short-term financial gain (even for the aforementioned "little guy") isn't all that laudable.

Not a fan of the little man are you. Power to the elites yeah. 

1 minute ago, Soup said:

Not a fan of the little man are you. Power to the elites yeah. 

Au contraire, I'm a big fan of the "little man".

And a really good thing for such people in this case would be ability to be able to carry on their business and make money for the long term - and for their children to do so if they wish - rather than having to abandon it as poisoned, no longer arable wasteland.

Looking just a little bit ahead, you understand.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Looking just a little bit ahead, you understand.

Why the rush though? Seems to me as if it could be phased out over a longer period. It's a two finger stick up to real working people again. 

14 minutes ago, Soup said:

Why the rush though? Seems to me as if it could be phased out over a longer period. It's a two finger stick up to real working people again. 

Guess it depends on whether the local ecology can withstand such a longer-term phasing out.

https://www.science.org/content/article/nitrogen-crisis-jam-packed-livestock-operations-has-paralyzed-dutch-economy

"In 118 of 162 Dutch nature reserves, nitrogen deposits now exceed ecological risk thresholds by an average of 50%. In dunes, bogs, and heathlands, home to species adapted to a lack of nitrogen, plant diversity has decreased as nitrogen-loving grasses, shrubs, and trees move in. Heathlands are turning green-gray as invasive grasses overwhelm the purple heather and yellows and blues of small herbaceous flowering plants..."

That one passage notwithstanding, this article does give a pretty well-balanced look at what is going on over there right now. Hopefully a compromise - possibly involving "circular farming" - can be reached. The government has an obligation to help these farmers, it's true, but it also has an obligation to other groups and future generations by protecting the ecology of the country it governs. A balance needs to be sought.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Guess it depends on whether the local ecology can withstand such a longer-term phasing out.

https://www.science.org/content/article/nitrogen-crisis-jam-packed-livestock-operations-has-paralyzed-dutch-economy

"In 118 of 162 Dutch nature reserves, nitrogen deposits now exceed ecological risk thresholds by an average of 50%. In dunes, bogs, and heathlands, home to species adapted to a lack of nitrogen, plant diversity has decreased as nitrogen-loving grasses, shrubs, and trees move in. Heathlands are turning green-gray as invasive grasses overwhelm the purple heather and yellows and blues of small herbaceous flowering plants..."

That one passage notwithstanding, this article does give a pretty well-balanced look at what is going on over there right now. Hopefully a compromise - possibly involving "circular farming" - can be reached. The government has an obligation to help these farmers, it's true, but it also has an obligation to other groups and future generations by protecting the ecology of the country it governs. A balance needs to be sought.

Good points as per. Let's hope they do reach an agreement then. It seems nowadays that the.powers that be just flex their muscle's without hesitation. This concerns me as much as climate change concerns you. 

Just to add climate change concerns me as well, I don't wanna go down that path.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Soup said:

Good points as per. Let's hope they do reach an agreement then. It seems nowadays that the.powers that be just flex their muscle's without hesitation. This concerns me as much as climate change concerns you. 

Just to add climate change concerns me as well, I don't wanna go down that path.

Fair enough, creeping authoritarianism is a concern for me too. For what it's worth, increasing environmental stress is a big way for *that* problem to get worse, too, which is another reason to do the right thing now. 

And I'm glad to hear the last sentence - I would hope that anyone sane that knows much about the issue would think similarly.

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino

Well looks like we’ could well be heading to our first ever 40C in the UK next week. Thankfully humidity and dew points will be low but it will be truly grim at night.

Ive got one of those free standing air con things that works fine in the low 30s but not sure at higher temps though

10 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Well looks like we’ could well be heading to our first ever 40C in the UK next week. Thankfully humidity and dew points will be low but it will be truly grim at night.

Ive got one of those free standing air con things that works fine in the low 30s but not sure at higher temps though

I keep hearing this 40c thing but nowhere seems to have it forecasted for their region. 35-38c yes. But nowhere says 40c? 

Guest Kopfkino
2 hours ago, StanSP said:

I keep hearing this 40c thing but nowhere seems to have it forecasted for their region. 35-38c yes. But nowhere says 40c? 

Just what keeps being shown on the public models and they often undo it. 42 on one of them this morning

I see the BBC this morning are forecasting it for Kew on Tuesday but would expect the forecasters won’t forecast it properly until closer to the time 

9 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Just what keeps being shown on the public models and they often undo it. 42 on one of them this morning

I see the BBC this morning are forecasting it for Kew on Tuesday but would expect the forecasters won’t forecast it properly until closer to the time 

I just checked and its 40-41c in Bedford so that's me told lol

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

i read somewhere that UK weather is very difficult to forcast because of our location, hence, don't forget to take your suncream, a jumper and a pair of wellies.