Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

15 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Pretty sickening news today that captured British pow, Paul Urey, has died after being captured in Ukraine. Was he executed?

I'm applying Hanlons Razor here.

Reads more like criminal negligence rather than an active malicious act of execution (not that that makes it much better at all). His captors would have nothing to gain from it.

55 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm applying Hanlons Razor here.

Reads more like criminal negligence rather than an active malicious act of execution (not that that makes it much better at all). His captors would have nothing to gain from it.

Are you sure? Reading the link below and what the Russians have said about executing foreign pows, it's clear that they don't give a toss about the Geneva Convention, nor the lives of innocent young children, including a 4yo, who was killed today. Putin and his criminal regime are mass-murderers, no ifs, no buts. They lie about everything - I watch RT News and it's all completely fabricated, to make the Russians look like the good guys.

https://voxukraine.org/en/the-geneva-conventions-how-russia-breaches-them-and-blames-ukraine-for-it-voxcheck-explains/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62181726

Edited by String fellow

8 hours ago, String fellow said:

Are you sure? Reading the link below and what the Russians have said about executing foreign pows, it's clear that they don't give a toss about the Geneva Convention, nor the lives of innocent young children, including a 4yo, who was killed today. Putin and his criminal regime are mass-murderers, no ifs, no buts. They lie about everything - I watch RT News and it's all completely fabricated, to make the Russians look like the good guys.

https://voxukraine.org/en/the-geneva-conventions-how-russia-breaches-them-and-blames-ukraine-for-it-voxcheck-explains/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62181726

Yeah.

6 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Reads like the poor bloke was quite badly diabetic and they didn't bother to look after him. 

The above is where I'm coming out.

I'm agreeing with you that the Russians in this conflict have next to zero regard for human life and lie as easily as they breathe. However, there is a small but important distinction between them being like that (treating life as cheap and being negligent as a result) and them being moustache-twirling pantomime villains who kill just to get their rocks off and there's nothing to gain from it. The latter is actually a pretty rare human trait.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Not now, aliens. 

Not aliens - but probably either a pulsar or a magnetar. These are incredibly dense, fast-spinning neutron stars. A teaspoon-full of a neutron star material would have a mass of a billion tons!

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Not now, aliens. 

6 hours ago, String fellow said:

Not aliens - but probably either a pulsar or a magnetar. These are incredibly dense, fast-spinning neutron stars. A teaspoon-full of a neutron star material would have a mass of a billion tons!

I fear the worst  ..    :o

7EB37BCE-CB95-4EFA-B089-7C2771881D04.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Matt, WHY would peoples phones be bombarded 24/7?

Speaking personally, what Mr Gaetz should perhaps be more afraid of is peoples phones being bombarded with news that he's being indicted for trafficking in underage women.

Because that's in the pipeline.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, String fellow said:

You would think that MIT would take the time to rule either of those out before making a statement, but who knows?

On 16/07/2022 at 02:47, leicsmac said:

However, there is a small but important distinction between them being like that (treating life as cheap and being negligent as a result) and them being moustache-twirling pantomime villains who kill just to get their rocks off and there's nothing to gain from it. The latter is actually a pretty rare human trait.

Agreed. I've often pondered the existence of 'true evil' (however one might define it) and have come to the conclusion that it is not all common. People have different beliefs and ideologies etc (and are prepared to act in accordance with those) but can be reasonably understood within those contexts. Not that you have to agree with them of course. 

It is easier to point to the 'bad guy' than to understand why they might be coming from where they do. Not that the difference really matters in some cases; the same course of action might well be applicable either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

You would think that MIT would take the time to rule either of those out before making a statement, but who knows?

Ever since the 'Wow!' radio signal detected in 1977, there have been various other mysterious radio signals from space. Partly as a result of wishful thinking or trying to make cosmology more popular, these are frequently linked to the possiblility of them being evidence for extra-terrestrial intelligence. Maybe it's one of those unknowables, due to the vastness of spacetime. My view is that the immense power of the signals makes them highly unlikely to be anything other than massive bursts of energy resulting from natural cosmological events, but as you rightly say, who knows? What I am convinced of though, is that astrophysics and cosmology are way more fantastical than anything a sci-fi writer could dream up!.

• Like 1

Graham Mansfield: Hale man cleared of terminally ill wife's murder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-62250733

Seems a bit weird to me. Not only is there no evidence she agreed to this but he killed her by slitting her throat? Even with a terminal illness that is an horrific way to die.

I think him getting off free sets an awful precedent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-62250733

Seems a bit weird to me. Not only is there no evidence she agreed to this but he killed her by slitting her throat? Even with a terminal illness that is an horrific way to die.

I think him getting off free sets an awful precedent.

We said the same yesterday, it's such an awful way to choose to kill someone in a suicide pact,  especially for such a supposedly loving husband. I can't imagine doing that at all, but to someone you love? And the news said there was also a hammer found with the knives...

I think he murdered her in a rage, and made up the whole suicide pact thing afterwards. 

• Like 2

On 21/07/2022 at 01:45, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62232518

Something of a safeguard, but it needs to get through the Senate too.

157 votes against.

And yesterday 195 voted against access to contraception.

All Republican. 

The stupidity and cruelty of these Christian fascists is unbound. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

157 votes against.

And yesterday 195 voted against access to contraception.

All Republican. 

The stupidity and cruelty of these Christian fascists is unbound. 

With respect to contraception and other legislation regarding compelled birth,  there's an ulterior motive, too. They want white, poor babies for a few reasons: a reasonably reliable voting bloc that will keep them in power and allow them to claim more, a steady school-prison pipeline for that handy prison labour, and a ready supply of recruits for any foreign "interventions" that are needed.

With respect to LGBT rights, well, that one's pretty simple. Like their counterparts in parts of Africa and the Taliban in Afghanistan, they want LGBT people to no longer exist. Of course, their methods are more sophisticated than in those other places - why appear to be the bad guy by passing legislation that makes gay relationships punishable by death when you can instead legislate to remove their rights and make their lives so difficult and miserable that there is only one way out... and then simply sit back and say you weren't directly responsible?

In all these cases the cruelty and domination is, of course, the point.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We said the same yesterday, it's such an awful way to choose to kill someone in a suicide pact,  especially for such a supposedly loving husband. I can't imagine doing that at all, but to someone you love? And the news said there was also a hammer found with the knives...

I think he murdered her in a rage, and made up the whole suicide pact thing afterwards. 

Murdering someone in a rage and coming up with a convincing enough story to get the sentence he did is very unlikely.

3 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Murdering someone in a rage and coming up with a convincing enough story to get the sentence he did is very unlikely.

Slitting the throat of the love of your life in a suicide pact with absolutely no evidence that there ever was a suicide pact is far less likely imo