Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

19 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Nicest man in football apparently.

He was loyal to Man Utd, but appears not much as on the women front..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62490834

To be quite honest, after reading this, it seems like the people involved are as bas as each other really.

Edited by Wymsey

6 hours ago, jonathan_ross said:

Still won’t stop him getting voted in again at the next presidential elections. 

Yup, this will happen if he is the nominee. Unless of course he is charged or dies (which with his age and weight  who knows. Same can be said for biden well not his weight though lol).

7 hours ago, jonathan_ross said:

Still won’t stop him getting voted in again at the next presidential elections. 

Yes, it's definitely a possibility. Unless he is incapacitated or a convicted felon, as per above.

Given all that has happened and is happening at his behest over the last few years, I wonder what that says about the people in the US in general - both those misguided or malicious enough to support him and those who see him for what he is but are seemingly not competent enough to neutralise him?

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62501514

Interesting segment from this side of the world.

There's not much (comparatively) of what might be called "blue-collar" crime in Korea. "White-collar" crime involving high level corruption, big business and government, however...

Thanks for posting, I found that really interesting. I remember hearing about the Moon case at the time. It feels like a time when Korea is becoming far more visible to the West, combination of the Internet and social media and mainstream cultural exports like K-Pop, Squid Game, Parasite etc. Korean has been one of the biggest food trends in London for a while now too, either Korean BBQ, Bibimbap or Korean Fried Chicken which is massive now (can't beat a bit of gochujang sauce).

The business-politics relationship is interesting, dare I say it reminds me of the oligarch situation in Russia. Is there/was there much of an aristocracy in South Korea?

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Thanks for posting, I found that really interesting. I remember hearing about the Moon case at the time. It feels like a time when Korea is becoming far more visible to the West, combination of the Internet and social media and mainstream cultural exports like K-Pop, Squid Game, Parasite etc. Korean has been one of the biggest food trends in London for a while now too, either Korean BBQ, Bibimbap or Korean Fried Chicken which is massive now (can't beat a bit of gochujang sauce).

The business-politics relationship is interesting, dare I say it reminds me of the oligarch situation in Russia. Is there/was there much of an aristocracy in South Korea?

Well, Korea is an odd one in terms of aristocracy tbh - a long time ago there were the Joseon kings and queens, but after the Japanese occupation that idea and the class system pretty much out of the window.

However, these days it has been replaced by the same class system as in the US - where money, not the family name, creates the social strata. And as folks can see, it creates a whole host of problems of its own. Graft between government and the chaebols has always been an issue, and it's difficult to see how it will be resolved for reasons that the article is accurate with. However, that's not to say that those at the top are totally untouchable in the same was as they might be in, say, Russia - people here have the freedom to assemble and protest and when it's needed they use it. And sometimes, doing so does have an effect.

It's interesting and good to see that Korean cultural influence is catching on a little in the UK - the culinary parts in particular. When I first came out here next to no one in the UK had any idea about Korea at all, and almost all of the ideas they had were daft and erroneous stereotypes.

On 14/07/2022 at 16:11, leicsmac said:

Guess it depends on whether the local ecology can withstand such a longer-term phasing out.

https://www.science.org/content/article/nitrogen-crisis-jam-packed-livestock-operations-has-paralyzed-dutch-economy

"In 118 of 162 Dutch nature reserves, nitrogen deposits now exceed ecological risk thresholds by an average of 50%. In dunes, bogs, and heathlands, home to species adapted to a lack of nitrogen, plant diversity has decreased as nitrogen-loving grasses, shrubs, and trees move in. Heathlands are turning green-gray as invasive grasses overwhelm the purple heather and yellows and blues of small herbaceous flowering plants..."

That one passage notwithstanding, this article does give a pretty well-balanced look at what is going on over there right now. Hopefully a compromise - possibly involving "circular farming" - can be reached. The government has an obligation to help these farmers, it's true, but it also has an obligation to other groups and future generations by protecting the ecology of the country it governs. A balance needs to be sought.

I agree and it was The Base farmers,who were discussing over 40Yrs ago,Europe side that we have to be carewfull with Nitrogen & other chemi deposits,But Environmental politicians Not scientists, rebuked their claims, & over the years...and so Admins under the sguise of scientists allowed various Chemical Scales were  to go up over  0.06. over Safe limits each year.......Agricultural Scientists & Farmers are Too dumb..They shouted.!!!...So Let the politicians to fk it up....& Today thats where we are.

They the unqualified and most political bunch Unept politicians And easy money Businessman have together ruined...

The Natural Deposits in our ground & earth,by allowing an put of Balance uncontrolled Chemical changes,then Ruined a balanced Fishing industry, and a well developing balanced Agricultral policy....

And Yes it began and carried on just before that Bloody Woman became PM...50Yrs of sell out across the board...& then had the Audacity to Blame Europe...Though the past 20-30yrs...Politicians Not scientists have had in Europa a bigger say..!!

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

FAKE NEWS DEEP STATE ETC

Well, if it does go all big then it'll certainly draw out his rather interesting supporter base into full view doing...interesting things, no doubt. January 6th might look rather small by comparison.

I'm sort of on the fence about that - on the one hand, drawing them out so they're front and centre makes the whole cult of personality somewhat easier to neutralise, and it does need to be neutralised. On the other, you wonder exactly how many people buy into the aforementioned cult of personality and as such how strong they'll be and how much damage would be done before it would be all over.

On 13/08/2022 at 00:06, urban.spaceman said:

FAKE NEWS DEEP STATE ETC

He will use it to his advantage 

if they are going for him then they need to do it properly and close off all escape routes. Otherwise don’t bother because it will just make him stronger within his support base. 

Just read about some fans wanting full refunds from Reading & Leeds Festival & ticketmaster because TWO acts have pulled out and now they're getting angry and frustrated at it. One of the bands (Rage Against the Machine) had to pull out because of a 'medical issue'. 

Not sure why they think they'll get a full refund :dunno:

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Just read about some fans wanting full refunds from Reading & Leeds Festival & ticketmaster because TWO acts have pulled out and now they're getting angry and frustrated at it. One of the bands (Rage Against the Machine) had to pull out because of a 'medical issue'. 

Not sure why they think they'll get a full refund :dunno:

It's not like they booked to see a single act but rather a line up. Disappointing if your favourite can't make it but hey ho. Rather like booking a play and the lead actor is ill and replaced a lesser known understudy.  Chance you take I suppose.