Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Putting school shootings on him is a bit of a ****ing stretch 

Well, he certainly didn't put anything towards gun control legislation that would have made such things more difficult to accomplish (and he had the power to do so) and I don't think it's too hard to believe that the culture of polarisation, "us and them" that he cultivated resulted in disaffected people thinking the best way to address that "us and them" was by use of firearms.

In any case, to repeat and clarify: Trump, bad as he was/is, largely just acted as a facilitator for some grotesquely xenophobic and misogynist ideology to rear its head in the US, just at the point that things had appeared to be a little better on that score.

On 30/08/2022 at 11:28, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Another death at Notting Hill yet it's still celebrated as some kind of cultural phenomenon. 

Sorry I wrote death, I meant killing. 

Agree with the description you gave to the "carnival". The awful crime aside, I find the reporting of the Notting Hill carnival utterly bizarre. When I lived in London 2012-14 I'd attend most years. It's the most appalling spectacle of alcohol and drug consumption you'll find in the UK. It's basically a very large 'hag do' not some high brow cultural event the media report it as. 

I'm not surprised in the slightest to see violence become more and more prevalent each year. 

9 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Agree with the description you gave to the "carnival". The awful crime aside, I find the reporting of the Notting Hill carnival utterly bizarre. When I lived in London 2012-14 I'd attend most years. It's the most appalling spectacle of alcohol and drug consumption you'll find in the UK. It's basically a very large 'hag do' not some high brow cultural event the media report it as. 

I'm not surprised in the slightest to see violence become more and more prevalent each year. 

But...

913911571_Capture(2).thumb.PNG.47db75f83

• Haha 1

Just to expand on the above for the sake of clarity:

There is a world of difference in terms of social and scientific policy between the Dems and Repubs (like, huge) and it's perhaps better to look at and form opinions based on that rather than whoever happens to be their figurehead at any one time, though of course the President does command a lot of executive power.