Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

Mark Lawrenson the latest to criticise the BBC for being ageist and woke ..

Or was he just sacked for being no good and out of touch ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11246783/amp/I-sacked-Im-65-Im-white-male-Former-presenter-Mark-Lawrenson-hits-BBC.html

Sorry original article was in the Times but you have to pay to read that .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-62995965

This story’s a week or so old now, but there’s still no news. 

I spent about a week with him a few years ago while we were both on an observing run in La Palma, and indirectly worked with him on a couple of things while we were there. I actually ended up driving us to the airport when it was time to leave. 

It’s very strange and sad to see someone you have spent time with and sort of know, however loosely, in a story like this. Hopefully he can be found soon for his family. 

3 minutes ago, marbles said:

Don’t think I can imagine the number of people demanding resignation if this was said by someone across the party line

https://nypost.com/2022/09/30/nancy-pelosi-says-florida-needs-migrants-to-pick-crops/

... and this is as bad as comments made by many Repubs and should be called out, yes.

Doesn't stop the Dem platform in many areas, including immigration policy, being objectively an order of magnitude more humane than that of the Repubs.

NB. The NY Post, being a Murdoch rag, will naturally look for the least flattering angle on anyone who actually wants a better future for anyone outside their rather narrow target demographic.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... and this is as bad as comments made by many Repubs and should be called out, yes.

Doesn't stop the Dem platform in many areas, including immigration policy, being objectively an order of magnitude more humane than that of the Repubs.

NB. The NY Post, being a Murdoch rag, will naturally look for the least flattering angle on anyone who actually wants a better future for anyone outside their rather narrow target demographic.

Just pointing out the double standard.  

Oh, and shame on you for deflecting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marbles said:

Just pointing out the double standard.  

Oh, and shame on you for deflecting. 

:dunno: Not sure I really get that - I pointed out that this is a bad thing and should be dealt with accordingly in the very first paragraph. If that's "deflecting", then so be it.

Also, I feel absolutely no shame whatsoever in pointing out that other entities in the US are perfectly willing to inhibit mental healthcare in schools and thus enable school shootings, disregard the environmental future of the planet and thus humanity itself, and treat LGBT folks as a punchline at best and an abomination that should be legislated out of existence at worst. And those entities are the only realistic alternative to the Dems in terms of US government control.

With respect, if you think something like Pelosi's comment means those are better or even a similar alternative, then it is you who should feel ashamed.

• Haha 1

You were deflecting by pointing out what others do that are “bad” while minimizing what was brought up.

As if it’s a personal attack on you if it’s pointed out that Dems are just as shitty as Republicans.

Sometimes I read your stuff and agree with you.  Other times I feel as if you’ve gone so far to the left that, just like those on the far far right, you’ve lost all perspective.

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, marbles said:

You were deflecting by pointing out what others do that are “bad” while minimizing what was brought up.

As if it’s a personal attack on you if it’s pointed out that Dems are just as shitty as Republicans.

Sometimes I read your stuff and agree with you.  Other times I feel as if you’ve gone so far to the left that, just like those on the far far right, you’ve lost all perspective.

Again, if pointing out the "badness" of the act in the first paragraph is deflecting, then fair enough.

My whole point is that Dems are in no way overall as shitty as Repubs, and it's factually inaccurate to indicate otherwise. I take it personally because that attitude, when applied at the ballot box, could well lead to outcomes that threaten both me and people I hold dear.

I sincerely hope that an understanding attitude towards LGBT folks, consideration of the future of the Earth and other such matters aren't an exclusively "far left" trait (and as if the "far left" has any political power in the US at all, Biden is basically an aged-up David Cameron in terms of policy, at best.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I post an article that is in the news, in the “Also In The News” section.

You proceed to discount the source, as if only Your/Liberal sources are legit.  You then attacked the Republican Party, and now invoke LGBT and the environment.  I don’t know why.  All of that has absolutely nothing to do with my post.  It’s a Strawman argument.  Meant to deflect away from what I posted - why?  Again, I don’t know.  You either take anything negative about Dems personally, or you are so entrenched in the nonsense that you can’t bear to see anything negative posted for fear that it may change someone’s opinion.

Rest assured that I am not attacking you or your beliefs.  Nor do I believe posting negative things about a political party (search, I’ve done the same with Trump), will suddenly sway someone’s opinion.  The truth is what it is.  You may want to look at degrees of shit, and say “This is less, so it’s good”.  That’s you.  That’s not me.  Shit is shit, regardless.  If you do something that you shouldn’t as a political figure - you should be held accountable.  Not defended or excused - which is what I feel you are doing by trying to distract away from the story.

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, marbles said:

I post an article that is in the news, in the “Also In The News” section.

You proceed to discount the source, as if only Your/Liberal sources are legit.

I advised to be careful of the source, in this case I'm happy to take the comments and quotes it makes at face value. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

17 minutes ago, marbles said:

You then attacked the Republican Party, and now invoke LGBT and the environment.  I don’t know why.  All of that has absolutely nothing to do with my post.  It’s a Strawman argument.  Meant to deflect away from what I posted - why?  Again, I don’t know.  You either take anything negative about Dems personally, or you are so entrenched in the nonsense that you can’t bear to see anything negative posted for fear that it may change someone’s opinion.

I stated my reasons why I referenced what I referenced above, including why such misconceptions is something that I will always challenge. 

20 minutes ago, marbles said:

Rest assured that I am not attacking you or your beliefs.  Nor do I believe posting negative things about a political party (search, I’ve done the same with Trump), will suddenly sway someone’s opinion. 

I'm sure that you're not attacking me. However, given the events of the last few years, I have seen how Internet-based viewpoints not necessarily based on whole context can be used to shape public opinion in a problematic way (InfoWars anyone?) so I'm inclined to respond with context of my own when it appears here.

23 minutes ago, marbles said:

The truth is what it is.  You may want to look at degrees of shit, and say “This is less, so it’s good”.  That’s you.  That’s not me.  Shit is shit, regardless.  If you do something that you shouldn’t as a political figure - you should be held accountable.  Not defended or excused - which is what I feel you are doing by trying to distract away from the story.

I agree that the truth (or more often scientific fact) is what it is. And yes, evidently we see the world differently in terms of degrees.

Allow me to be clear - what Pelosi said was indefensible and should be dealt with accordingly...And so should the vastly larger similar incidents on the other side of the aisle. Fair is fair.

I apologise if that appears to be a deflection, but for me it is simply adding context.

I think I'll leave it at that. Enjoy your weekend.

• Haha 1

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-pours-faeces-captain-tom-28131436?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main

@leicsmac Just wondered your thoughts on this. We've discussed before how I think the actions of some protester distract from the message they are trying to get across, where as you think anything goes if the cause is important enough. In this instance I've seen literally nobody talking about her campaign, or how we go about achieving what she wants, and all they are talking about is how disgusting she is and the disrespect shown to somebody who is fondly remembered by large numbers of the British public. So do you agree with her way of going about things?