Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-pours-faeces-captain-tom-28131436?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main

@leicsmac Just wondered your thoughts on this. We've discussed before how I think the actions of some protester distract from the message they are trying to get across, where as you think anything goes if the cause is important enough. In this instance I've seen literally nobody talking about her campaign, or how we go about achieving what she wants, and all they are talking about is how disgusting she is and the disrespect shown to somebody who is fondly remembered by large numbers of the British public. So do you agree with her way of going about things?

I really don't.

I think I've said it before on the Extinction Rebellion thread and I'll repeat it here: activism is only really useful as long as it aids the work of what needs to be done. This clearly does not, so it isn't useful and is frankly ridiculous and disgusting. Give her pelters.

My point all along - and apologies if I haven't been clear on this - is that meaningful action needs to be taken no matter what idiots like this say or do because the laws of thermodynamics don't give a shit (hur hur hur) either way. So while folks like these are detrimental in terms of at best stalling and at worst inhibiting the human response and they should share responsibility for that if bad things happen as a result...we still need to keep the main focus on the work that has to be done.

Of course daft stunts like this distract from that (and folks like this really should know that if they didn't have their head up their arses), but the best course of action is to roll eyes, give her whatever prosecution is necessary for criminal damage or whatever, then forget about her and set about lobbying MP's for proper change in energy generation in this country and abroad, as fast as possible. Not use her and those who act like her as an excuse to take insufficient action or none at all.

Edited by leicsmac

On 06/10/2022 at 14:25, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-63153281

Niemann certainly not backing down.

This could get ugly for the game unless the allegations of cheating are conclusively proven one way or the other.

Going back a few days, but what do you reckon to this, Mac? Given the number of possible moves, I’m not sure how one would cheat, unless there was some sort of earpiece. Any Major Ingram type shenanigans would get easily picked up.

4 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Going back a few days, but what do you reckon to this, Mac? Given the number of possible moves, I’m not sure how one would cheat, unless there was some sort of earpiece. Any Major Ingram type shenanigans would get easily picked up.

Well, chess.com did analysis of his games and concluded that at least online his games match too closely to what a computer would play in certain circumstances (e.g. complex and/or difficult positions) and therefore he *did* cheat online, but there's no evidence that he's been involved in cheating in live games.

However, I'm of the opinion that Carlsen wouldn't make this claim without being pretty damn sure of it himself and therefore there is a case to be answered. There's a few different ways I can think of that would allow for silent signals to be sent in an undetectable way indicating a right or wrong move during a game. Like I said, I just hope the ICF get to the bottom of it with quick and thorough investigation.

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Well, chess.com did analysis of his games and concluded that at least online his games match too closely to what a computer would play in certain circumstances (e.g. complex and/or difficult positions) and therefore he *did* cheat online, but there's no evidence that he's been involved in cheating in live games.

However, I'm of the opinion that Carlsen wouldn't make this claim without being pretty damn sure of it himself and therefore there is a case to be answered. There's a few different ways I can think of that would allow for silent signals to be sent in an undetectable way indicating a right or wrong move during a game. Like I said, I just hope the ICF get to the bottom of it with quick and thorough investigation.

I guess, thinking about it, some sort of vibrating Morse code would work.

On 10/10/2022 at 21:20, Dunge said:

Wasnt it supposed to be a vibrating butt plug?

So getting a vaccine you didn't need to protect granny was a lie. People died as a result and nobody gives a shit. I'm not daft, I do know that it was a difficult situation and decisions need to be made but to just make stuff up was tragic. But I guess when you put your trust in the most corrupt companies in the most corrupt industry that's what you get.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/pfizer-did-not-know-whether-covid-vaccine-stopped-transmission-before-rollout-executive-admits/news-story/f307f28f794e173ac017a62784fec414

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

This is being rather overstated I think.  Did it reduce the chance of getting the virus?  Yes.  If you don't have the virus can you transmit it?  No.  Does it also reduce the severity if you do get it?  Yes.  Are you less likely to transit it? if your symptoms are less severe?  Unknown at the time, but theoretically yes, and later proven to be Yes.  

Yes of course it is tragic that some people reacted badly to the vaccine and some of those died.  Many more people would likely have died without the vaccine rollout.

And that is what it comes down to at the end of the day.

50 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I don't think he'll pay anywhere near that. He'll win his appeal. Scum like that always seem to survive, Like cockroaches. 

I hope not, and I see no legal reason why he'd win an appeal. Of course, he'll drag out the legal process to avoid paying for as long as possible, though.