Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

40 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Is it really worth taking the chance?

Personally speaking, yes. We are pretty much all triple vaccinated with an immense testing capacity. Even the crackpots in Aus and NZ have finally admitted zero covid is not possible.

Again, from a personal viewpoint and in no way aiming this at you, i am outraged at how disgracefully selfish us Westerners really are. We are triple vaccinating 40 year olds, vaccinating children, it is a total farce lol. All the while the third world countries are sitting idle waiting for even one jab. Advocating shutting the country down with the myriad of serious negative risks that brings to everyone over a respiratory variant there is a slight chance we may not be fully protected against. I have no idea how it all got to this level of selfishness.

Edited by grobyfox1990
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Completely different situations. WW2 affected everyone. Covid quite clearly and obviosuly disciminates, it overwhelmingly affects over 65s and the vulnerable.

Ah, so you’re saying not turning your lights off during a blackout would have been perfectly okay as long as you were pretty sure your own house wouldn’t be one of those destroyed.

2 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Ah, so you’re saying not turning your lights off during a blackout would have been perfectly okay as long as you were pretty sure your own house wouldn’t be one of those destroyed.

Again, completely different! Everyone is at equal threat in a war, they are not in covid! If a bunch of 25 year olds had a party and spread covid around, it would barely matter as long as they did not come into contact with those most affected by covid, who should be taking responsibility for themselves. Im not saying this should happen, but that is the basic theory. If a problem affects you, take action. Should i stop drinking alcohol in solidarity with the bloke at the end of the street who is an alcoholic?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Again, completely different! Everyone is at equal threat in a war, they are not in covid! If a bunch of 25 year olds had a party and spread covid around, it would barely matter as long as they did not come into contact with those most affected by covid, who should be taking responsibility for themselves. Im not saying this should happen, but that is the basic theory. If a problem affects you, take action. Should i stop drinking alcohol in solidarity with the bloke at the end of the street who is an alcoholic?

Ah, so you’re saying that because you don’t reckon covid affects you, there’s no reason for you to lift a finger to help those it does affect.

5 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Ah, so you’re saying that because you don’t reckon covid affects you, there’s no reason for you to lift a finger to help those it does affect.

"Why should I have to join the army to go and liberate France? Hitler wants to do a deal with us, let's take it and let France worry about themselves."

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Imo, what the world needs is a highly contagious variant that produces only very mild symptoms and drives away all other more dangerous variants. Could it be that omicron fits that charaterisation?

No.

If it did then the mild symptoms will simply be because you're vaccinated or have previously had covid, therefore your immune system doesn't go into overdrive (and kill you).

25 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Personally speaking, yes. We are pretty much all triple vaccinated with an immense testing capacity. Even the crackpots in Aus and NZ have finally admitted zero covid is not possible.

Again, from a personal viewpoint and in no way aiming this at you, i am outraged at how disgracefully selfish us Westerners really are. We are triple vaccinating 40 year olds, vaccinating children, it is a total farce lol. All the while the third world countries are sitting idle waiting for even one jab. Advocating shutting the country down with the myriad of serious negative risks that brings to everyone over a respiratory variant there is a slight chance we may not be fully protected against. I have no idea how it all got to this level of selfishness.

It's called capitalism. Money makes the world go around. With covid, we can put some loosely fitting bandages around things, then a new wound appears and we do the same again until we're fully bandaged. It'll probably be ok. 

When antibiotic resistance and climate change happen or god forbid an even more severe pandemic, then we will have to change. We haven't adapted to covid and it's why it might bite us on the arse this winter.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

It literally isn’t. You mean you don’t want to. Which may or may not be fair enough, and could certainly be discussed, but is a different thing.

No its impossible to keep locking down the country.  You can't keep closing down businesses or there will be none left. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Hahahahah and how did the Swiss do out of WW2 eh??!!? You have just wildly contradicted yourself, or just completely not read my post

Firstly I'd like to thank you for starting with "Hahahahah", always found that to be the foundation of a well thought out rebuttal.

Secondly, I have read your posts.  "Everyone is at equal threat in a war" is a rather odd statement as it implies this isn't the case for COVID?  There isn't some binary outcome to COVID on an individual that is death or everything is fine.  Aside from the physical problems, that don't result in death, there has been the spectre of economical losses, phycological damage through restrictions or the loss of someone to this.  Two of my employees and a grandparent of mine died in this pandemic from COVID and I can assure you the impact goes significantly beyond "them taking responsibility for themselves".  With respect to the latter, I will share that being in a care home, he was isolating but the government kindly discharged hospital patients into his home without bothering to test them.

Your example of 25 year olds partying and it having no consequence to the vulnerable suggests, as Phil responded by saying, that you're viewing this from the perspective of you remaining fit and well and not considering/caring everyone else who should "just lock themselves away".  As you say "If a problem affects you, take action".  I counter by saying that this problem does affect you directly and indirectly as outlined above so as, you suggest, might want to take action.  Combined how I've interpreted your arguments (which I might have misinterpreted so please correct me) with your rant about "Wester selfishness and arrogance" does appear, again as you said, "wildly contradictory". 

Just now, Phil Bowman said:

I am pleased to hear this, and look forward to seeing you use it sometime to describe something that actually is impossible and not just something you disagree with.

It doesn't affect you does it?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lionator said:

When antibiotic resistance and climate change happen or god forbid an even more severe pandemic, then we will have to change. We haven't adapted to covid and it's why it might bite us on the arse this winter.

Judging by the level of our apparent ability to adapt, let’s hope we’re not faced with an ‘adapt or die’ situation any time soon, eh?

What’s that? The climate? Er…

33 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I think playing a game of chicken with an organism that has no sense of self-preservation beyond ensuring it can perpetuate to the next generation is foolhardy. Zero Covid isn't possible, but it is possible, nay necessary, to reduce it to the point where helthcare systems would not buckle under the strain of its worst excesses - because that means that a lot of people who have been nowhere near Covid would still suffer and die.

I agree that the richer nations have played the vaccine card with all the self-interest one might expect, but all that means is we need to supply more and share more and get the world vaccinated, and keep them so for the time being - that's a problem of logistics, and dare I say it, capitalism.

14 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Imo, what the world needs is a highly contagious variant that produces only very mild symptoms and drives away all other more dangerous variants. Could it be that omicron fits that charaterisation?

It is possible it is a step on the road to that variant, yes.

3 minutes ago, adam said:

The point here being that it's easy to suggest solutions as long as they don't affect one personally, yes?

Unfortunately, Covid - and more importantly the strain it puts on resources to fight cancer, chronic illnesses and practically every other disease means that it can and does affect anyone who has gone near a hospital in the last year and a half and anyone who will go near one in the near future. That's a lot of people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adam said:

In all honesty, your inability to use the word ‘impossible’ correctly doesn’t affect me, no.

As for the pandemic, I believe it affects all of us, and how very dare you suggest it does not affect me. Ditto lockdowns etc.

Look - I’m not saying anything about pandemic restrictions. I’m only pointing out that you keep saying things are ‘impossible’ when they are not. You have every right to think, and say, that the restrictions are inadvisable, impractical, unfair, or just plain stupid. Just don’t say things are impossible when they aren’t!

1 hour ago, Munshi said:

Yep because lockdowns have proven to work have they? 

Ofcourse they have. 

If you think that lockdowns were intended to kill the virus in that we would all hide away in our homes and it would just go away, then I'm afraid that you are entirely mistaken. 

Lockdowns were intended to slow the virus to ease the burden on the NHS which would in turn give them the best possible chance of reducing the death rate. It was also intended to buy time to develop a vaccine that would also slow transition rates. 

Lockdowns were never intended to be a solution to Covid. I think you need to understand that. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Ofcourse they have. 

If you think that lockdowns were intended to kill the virus in that we would all hide away in our homes and it would just go away, then I'm afraid that you are entirely mistaken. 

Lockdowns were intended to slow the virus to ease the burden on the NHS which would in turn give them the best possible chance of reducing the death rate. It was also intended to buy time to develop a vaccine that would also slow transition rates. 

Lockdowns were never intended to be a solution to Covid. I think you need to understand that. 

There are less covid patients in hospital now than on this day last week or the week before that. 

• Like 1