Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

What is the point of declaring south african countries red zones when this new variant is probably now in other countries. We've either got to make all countries red zones or none at all.

Last night it was only said to be in one district of one country. Today we find several countries are red listed. Either it’s spread more quickly than they realized OR they ARE being abundantly cautious whilst putting their faith in the current detection system of requiring a negative test to fly into the country.

if it’s truly that much more ‘detected’ than they first realized then it’s probably already here. The more countries that do the gnome sequencing testing , the more countries that’ll find it, IF it’s already spread that rapidly in a couple of days 

Edited by MPH

2 minutes ago, Sly said:

I see the FTSE had dropped 3% with the news of the new strain this morning. Seems to be some heavy concern about this strain that it might evade the vaccines. 

not the way I was hoping to get cheaper petrol buy hey ho…

Just now, MPH said:

Last night it was only said to be in one district of one country. Today we find several countries are red listed. Either it’s spread more quickly than they realized OR they ARE being abundantly cautious whilst putting their faith in the current detection system of requiring a negative test to fly into the country.

It's a time thing. They discover one instance, then another and another etc. By the time they catch up, it's already too late. But the powers that be have two choices, shut the borders for travellers immidiatley or don't shut the borders and basically start again. 

15 minutes ago, Raj said:

Probably a daft question  but as someone who tested positive last week for Corona, is there a way of knowing  which variant I probably had?

find  somewhere that does genetic testing. There’s a chance there are still some remnants of the virus somewhere in your airways./ body

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's a time thing. They discover one instance, then another and another etc. By the time they catch up, it's already too late. But the powers that be have two choices, shut the borders for travellers immidiatley or don't shut the borders and basically start again. 

yes it is a time thing but we are all set up to discover the new variants now so we are discovering things a little bit quicker than before.

might be still too late anyway as you say..

What's everyone's predictions then? Full lockdown conveniently in time for Xmas and 10 booster jabs?

In all seriousness this is alarming news, its hard to keep faith with what the long term solution to all of this is, hopefully it won't feel like us all being back to square one again like it felt a year ago.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What's everyone's predictions then? Full lockdown conveniently in time for Xmas and 10 booster jabs?

In all seriousness this is alarming news, its hard to keep faith with what the long term solution to all of this is, hopefully it won't feel like us all being back to square one again like it felt a year ago.

They seem to have acted really early on this which is encouraging. I don't think we'll go into lockdown again (there really is no appetite plus we've seen how other countries have reacted). Again, it is up to people to be responsible- if they are coming back from those countries, do the sensible thing and get tested/ isolate.

Vaccines will give some level of immunity whatever the mutation, let's remember that.

• Like 3

Just now, Spudulike said:

No one is safe until everyone is safe, isn't that what they said? 

Suppose it was inevitable coming from a nation with only 24% of the people vaccinated. 

Each successive wave will reduce the number of unvaccinated so its just a waiting game really. 

It'll be weird when we're down to a few thousand unvaccinated seeing if they stick to the guns or not. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The usual emotionally charged opiniated posts and general meltdown on this thread; Whoareyaa's paranoid delusions about the New World Order, Otis to declare again that lockdown doesn't work, Legend in Blue to torch effigies of Neil Ferguson, the return of Ivor Cummins and Monmore Stef to thumbs up the lot of it. 

In answer to your question, as widespread and virulent as Delta was, although it was suspected that it may harbour significant vaccine evasion properties, this transpired not to be the case. Certainly, virologists, immunologists and epidemiologists are gravely concerned but are also urging the public not to overreact. Remember that the mRNA vaccines made by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna are much easier to rapidly tweak than traditional vaccine technologies. the possibility of further restrictions largely depends on hospitalisation rates and how the health service is responding. At this stage we simply don't know, nor have we quantified which benefits if indeed there are any are afforded to the virus by the latest mutation. Depending upon the severity of the variant, much will depend upon the levels of responsibility and behaviour of the British public. That's my main concern. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

The usual emotionally charged opiniated posts and general meltdown on this thread; Whoareyaa's paranoid delusions about the New World Order, Otis to declare again that lockdown doesn't work, Legend in Blue to torch effigies of Neil Ferguson, the return of Ivor Cummins and Monmore Stef to thumbs up the lot of it. 

In answer to your question, as widespread and virulent as Delta was, although it was suspected that it may harbour significant vaccine evasion properties, this transpired not to be the case. Certainly, virologists, immunologists and epidemiologists are gravely concerned but are also urging the public not to overreact. Remember that the mRNA vaccines made by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna are much easier to rapidly tweak than traditional vaccine technologies. the possibility of further restrictions largely depends on hospitalisation rates and how the health service is responding. At this stage we simply don't know, nor have we quantified which benefits if indeed there are any are afforded to the virus by the latest mutation. Depending upon the severity of the variant, much will depend upon the levels of responsibility and behaviour of the British public. That's my main concern. 

I might be wrong on this but if the mutation makes a good effort at evading vaccine immunity, it is likely not so great at evading the natural T cell  immunity that infection provides. 

this could work in our favour as those most likely to become exposed to it would have previously been infected.  As has been said many times before, our wider exposure to natural infection via a more lax approach than our continental neighbours has some benefits. 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I might be wrong on this but if the mutation makes a good effort at evading vaccine immunity, it is likely not so great at evading the natural T cell  immunity that infection provides. 

this could work in our favour as those most likely to become exposed to it would have previously been infected.  As has been said many times before, our wider exposure to natural infection via a more lax approach than our continental neighbours has some benefits. 

I meant to add, that the longer term long term and higher T-cell response associated with AZ for older people in particular even after antibodies wane may also be of significance. Important to stress that this is not simply the claim of Pascal Soriot, rather, emergent evidence based data. 

So looks like I got the C Bug. 

Yesterday I did a LFT at 3pm, negative. Might sound a bit goody two shoes but I’ve been doing before going events or before a weekend. Okay sound, go to the football. 

Bit of a cough this morning; thought I’ll have another LFT to make sure. Positive. 2nd LFT positive even quicker. Now awaiting results of PCR taken around 3pm. 

Oh well my isolation will be completed in time for Napoli. Just a minor cough and a bearable headache. The sort you’d go work with or grind/bear it through an organised meal. 

30 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Crude has gone South by some margin. But don't bank on cheaper fuel any time soon.

oh it will come if this new variant takes a grip and lockdowns come… it’s  reopening everything up and consequently the demand for fuel that’s brought the prices up, any more of a lockdown will drop prices again.

54 minutes ago, MPH said:

oh it will come if this new variant takes a grip and lockdowns come… it’s  reopening everything up and consequently the demand for fuel that’s brought the prices up, any more of a lockdown will drop prices again.

You're not wrong...

The RAC said retailers, particularly the smaller, independent ones, were trying to rebuild their profits after the steep fall in sales prompted by the first UK lockdown in spring last year.

Retailers had increased their profit margins by 2p a litre from around 5.5p in April last year to 7.5p a litre.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

I know I should probably be concerned by a new variant and be taking regular LFTs, but I work from home and I spent the first year either working in schools or hospitals.

I'm not quite "get on with it" as I'm very on board with mandatory mask wearing and such but there's only so much worrying I can do before I just stop.